Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    If they want to fuck off and play with each other endlessly they are more than welcome to do so but I'd happily kick them out of the EPL too. 
  • Options
    You just knew something like this was round the corner after big picture. Fucking hell  the greed, the arrogance of it all! Let em go for it and then the rest of us can form a competitive league structure that benefits all its members
  • Options
    I see a few people say nothing can be done to prevent this, which is probably true, but unlike the FA Premier League, this has no support from a governing body. 

I don’t know anything about their rules, but running an unsanctioned competition alongside the official competitions would suggest to me that they could be excluded from all competitions, and their players made ineligible for international competition.  

Unlike the FA back in the 90’s, I think FIFA may be more resolute - at least until they find out how much of the money they can get their hands on. 
  • Options
    Gary Neville was spot on when he said it's obscene. $6bn set aside in funding for this yet we can't find 200m to give to the lower leagues. 

I don't think i've seen a single positive comment regarding this from any fan or ex-player/pundit at all.

Seems to be literally only the club owners pushing this. I'm sure players and agents will love it too as salaries at the 18 clubs will also sky rocket if clubs have all this extra money.
  • Options
    Gary Neville was spot on when he said it's obscene. $6bn set aside in funding for this yet we can't find 200m to give to the lower leagues. 

I don't think i've seen a single positive comment regarding this from any fan or ex-player/pundit at all.

Seems to be literally only the club owners pushing this. I'm sure players and agents will love it too as salaries at the 18 clubs will also sky rocket if clubs have all this extra money.
    Plenty of foreign fans on Social Media love the idea... But then they're always going to
  • Options
    It might be inevitable but it is completely against the whole ethos of how football competitions have been set up over the last century or so. 
    Clubs being allowed to be owned by billionaires and corporations inevitably lead to distortions of what makes football competitions unique in world sport.
    If it happens I hope I’ll be strong enough to ignore it.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    It might be inevitable but it is completely against the whole ethos of how football competitions have been set up over the last century or so. 
    Clubs being allowed to be owned by billionaires and corporations inevitably lead to distortions of what makes football competitions unique in world sport.
    If it happens I hope I’ll be strong enough to ignore it.

Yeah i can't see it not happening anymore, might not be in the next few years but the fact they are even talking and discussing it means that this is the way football will go. $6bn is no small number and that amount of money is sure to have a lot of influence on decisions.
  • Options

Plenty of foreign fans on Social Media love the idea... But then they're always going to
    Bet they are fans in the "pony" european leagues as well...

We were always going to reach a tipping point as soon as the Premiership was created. Big business moved in and it accelerated.

I guess we are lucky enough in this country to have enough big traditionally well supported clubs to form a decent league system after the Berty Big Bollocks clubs have left.

Cannot say "fuck em" enough to that lot and as for the plastics who follow them... "fuck off".  However if we ever return to a pre Covid situation the die hard fans of these clubs will soon miss the tradition and English rivalry. You only need to go to Barcelona away on a Tuesday night once in my opinion.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem is that whilst real football supporters like us see it for what it really is, the dumb f*** masses will pay their subscriptions and lap it up.
    Kids would love it (just look at the teams' shirts they mostly wear) and their dumb parents will go along with it.

• Options
    I see a few people say nothing can be done to prevent this, which is probably true, but unlike the FA Premier League, this has no support from a governing body. 

I don’t know anything about their rules, but running an unsanctioned competition alongside the official competitions would suggest to me that they could be excluded from all competitions, and their players made ineligible for international competition.  

Unlike the FA back in the 90’s, I think FIFA may be more resolute - at least until they find out how much of the money they can get their hands on. 
    Isn’t this backed by FIFA ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Isn’t this backed by FIFA ? 
    There's fucktons of money to be creamed off. Of course it is. 
  • Options

This is just a thought in its infancy so please be understanding:

If these big clubs are owned by overseas investors (US & Arab states) and they are only interested in money from Asia, couldn't fans of other clubs get together and demand a new tax for these foreign games being played on British land.
    At the moment we have clubs owned by Americans and Arabs for the benefit of a largely overseas market with no English fans allowed in the stadiums, but using numerous British resources.
    It fits in nicely with the Brexit ethos 
  • Options

Champions Charts that well illustrate over domination by an elite few this Century.

I just came across these on You Tube and I think they give a simple but effective rundown of the Champions in different European leagues.

They really highlight how unbalanced it has become and how it was so much more interesting in the 20th Century.

The English First Division / Premier league is not so bad.

The German and Italian leagues are a joke, whilst in Spain it's been this way for a lot longer.

On a side note, if OL (France) want to win the league again, they should pay for me to go back. I left in 2008 and they haven't won it since.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Seems that FIFA and the other six confederations have agreed that if there is to be a Super League, then any player involved will be unable to be involved in either the World Cup or Euros | Copa America | Asian Cup etc.

Be interesting to see how the individual players would feel but this almost gives more incentive to the Managers and Owners to setup a European Super League as they wont have to worry about losing their players for what they feel are meaningless International games

• Options
    Seems that FIFA and the other six confederations have agreed that if there is to be a Super League, then any player involved will be unable to be involved in either the World Cup or Euros | Copa America | Asian Cup etc.

Be interesting to see how the individual players would feel but this almost gives more incentive to the Managers and Owners to setup a European Super League as they wont have to worry about losing their players for what they feel are meaningless International games

as with cricket's Packer situation money talks louder than bureaucratic  paperwork ..  if (or rather when) the breakaway occurs, after a while when the acronyms realise that they are left with empty empires, no influence and no superstars to exploit, compromises and reorganisations will happen 
  • Options

as with cricket's Packer situation money talks louder than bureaucratic  paperwork ..  if (or rather when) the breakaway occurs, after a while when the acronyms realise that they are left with empty empires, no influence and no superstars to exploit, compromises and reorganisations will happen 
    But cricketers before Packer were paid pathetic sums, whereas the current top footballers earn ludicrous amounts already
  • Options

But cricketers before Packer were paid pathetic sums, whereas the current top footballers earn ludicrous amounts already
    Factor in the lack of any real form of a world cup too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So this Super league consists of teams from three countries.
  • Options
    Fair play to PSG and Bayern, expected them to be all for it. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Just as the new Champions League format is being introduced to expand the competition. 

Think this is politics and will just means that the prize money for coming in the Quarters, Semis and Final will be much higher. 

If you look at the Nationality of a few of the major clubs involved and you'll see it's an American takeover of the football hierarchy.