Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Smyth on loan from QPR (following progress at Leyton Orient p8)

Comments

• He didn’t score many goals here, but I’ve got this horrible feeling he might do really well with Accrington, time will tell.

If Lee’s not going to play him, or play him out of position, then there’s absolutely no point in him being here.
  • Agree the multiple positions he can play gave Bowyer too much to tinker with.

Smyth is a Jack of all trades. Master of none. Can't think of a single game where I've thought,'this is crying out for Smyth to come on'

For what it's worth, I hold Washington in similar esteem. Although markedly better than Smyth, I struggle to see where his strongest position is.
  • Accrington will deCharltonise him.

It's gonna be Mansfield and Lapslie all over again.
  • The best goalie we never had.
  • I'll take Billy Gilmour on loan from Chelsea to replace him please
    He’s not even a right back.
  • Bet he scores on 1st May.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Didn’t enjoy watching him to be honest, found him really frustrating. Looked like his game was centred around looking to win free kicks, going down cheaply an exaggerating impact, and pleading to referees. Didn’t strike me as a player particularly confident in his own abilities. 
    Ah like Johnny Williams, but with pace hair!

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Agree the multiple positions he can play gave Bowyer too much to tinker with.

Smyth is a Jack of all trades. Master of none. Can't think of a single game where I've thought,'this is crying out for Smyth to come on'

For what it's worth, I hold Washington in similar esteem. Although markedly better than Smyth, I struggle to see where his strongest position is.
    We'd been after Smyth for ages, but I'm struggling to understand why as he's not prolific enough to be a striker in a 2, and he's not a dazzling winger either. Back in October this is what Bowyer said

Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer, wants to play attacking football on the front foot and believes the Northern Ireland international will help the Addicks do just that.
    He said: “I think we’ve tried to get him in the last three transfer windows. He’s quick and full of energy and fits well with the type of football we like to play.

I'm not sure Smyth fits in with any of Bowyer's favourite systems, whether 442, 442 Diamond or wingbacks.

• Didn’t enjoy watching him to be honest, found him really frustrating. Looked like his game was centred around looking to win free kicks, going down cheaply an exaggerating impact, and pleading to referees. Didn’t strike me as a player particularly confident in his own abilities. 
    Exactly this.
  • I didn't think he was too bad, but if it allows us to sign someone else then so be it. Makes sense, felt he worked hard and could have been useful. 
  • This scarfy thing is all a load of bollox, one minute us then the next Accrington! Don’t blame the player but seems a bit ridiculous.
  • edited January 2021

We'd been after Smyth for ages, but I'm struggling to understand why as he's not prolific enough to be a striker in a 2, and he's not a dazzling winger either. Back in October this is what Bowyer said

Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer, wants to play attacking football on the front foot and believes the Northern Ireland international will help the Addicks do just that.
    He said: “I think we’ve tried to get him in the last three transfer windows. He’s quick and full of energy and fits well with the type of football we like to play.

I'm not sure Smyth fits in with any of Bowyer's favourite systems, whether 442, 442 Diamond or wingbacks.

He talked about 433 at the start of the season but since the summer transfer window closed we only played it once, I think, against Accrington?

I think Bowyer likes the idea of wingers because it adds pace etc but I don't think he either confident in the rest of the team or really sure how to set up with them. 

I think Bowyer has had 8 or 9 players you could describe as wingers but only really Doughty had a serious run in the side there and even then we barley had enough players to leave him out if he wanted to.

I am not sure how many games Smyth started for us, I think it was 5, in 4 different positions. 
  • Smyth has signed subject to not being asked to play wingback again.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

He talked about 433 at the start of the season but since the summer transfer window closed we only played it once, I think, against Accrington?

I think Bowyer likes the idea of wingers because it adds pace etc but I don't think he either confident in the rest of the team or really sure how to set up with them. 

I think Bowyer has had 8 or 9 players you could describe as wingers but only really Doughty had a serious run in the side there and even then we barley had enough players to leave him out if he wanted to.

I am not sure how many games Smyth started for us, I think it was 5, in 4 different positions. 
    I don't believe Bowyer had the intention to play Little Smyth as a winger though, more like the 2nd striker ..... in the Leko mould.
    He made his debut and next few appearances in that striker role.

It didn't long though before Smyth was used more in a wide role.
    Even Bowyer thought he was too small and lightweight to be picked us a striker.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't believe Bowyer had the intention to play Little Smyth as a winger though, more like the 2nd striker ..... in the Leko mould.

That's hardly a secret though, surely we would have known that before we signed him?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

That's hardly a secret though, surely we would have known that before we signed him?
    Perhaps I should have written:
    By then, "even Bowyer thought he was too small and lightweight to be picked us a striker."

That's what I meant and in the context of what I wrote.

• edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

By then, "even Bowyer thought he was too small and lightweight to be picked us a striker."

Surprisingly compared to Karkan Grant only 1kg in it at 70kg to Smyth 69kg according to wiki. Grant taller but Smyth lower centre of gravity so he was worth a try with his pace alongside a big man. Didn’t work out though as you say.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Surprisingly compared to Karkan Grant only 1kg in it at 80kg to Smyth 79kg according to wiki. Grant taller but Smyth lower centre of gravity so he was worth a try with his pace alongside a big man. Didn’t work out though as you say.
    He's 69kg to Grant's 70kg lol
  • edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Surprisingly compared to Karkan Grant only 1kg in it at 80kg to Smyth 79kg according to wiki. Grant taller but Smyth lower centre of gravity so he was worth a try with his pace alongside a big man. Didn’t work out though as you say.
    He's 69kg to Grant's 70kg lol
    Oops 😬 duly edited, same difference and conclusion though 😉.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What I meant was that we would have known his strengths and weaknesses before signing him, seeing that he's been on our radar for a long time. He didn't play as a striker for Wycombe last season and they have the ultimate target man in Akinfenwa for nippy strikers to play off

He got 1 goal last season for Wycombe in 21 appearances incidentally
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What I meant was that we would have known his strengths and weaknesses before signing him, seeing that he's been on our radar for a long time. He didn't play as a striker for Wycombe last season and they have the ultimate target man in Akinfenwa for nippy strikers to play off

I still find it strange that Bowyer wanted him for 3 transfer windows and still didn't really know what to do with him. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You could say Smyth improved at Charlton, then ..... 1 goal in 14.  :smile:

Back to your other point, I wouldn't disagree.
    Smyth was always going to be small, especially in the box as a striker.

Last season when Bowyer signed Leko, he waxed lyrical how he'd signed a winger - but wanted to play him down the middle as a 2nd striker.
    He wanted pace from a player that could drive with the ball centrally - and nip in to score goals as a striker.

Our "wild card", Bowyer called him. Bow later signed Green for the same reason. 
    And this season, it was hoped Smyth could play the same role .... although it's evident that Bowyer gave up on that plan after Smyth's first few games.

• Honest player but very lightweight in my opinion.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I still find it strange that Bowyer wanted him for 3 transfer windows and still didn't really know what to do with him. 
    You seem to find everything Bowyer does strange - yawn 
  • Just got an assist for Accrington’s sixth goal at home to Bristol Rovers.
  • Accrington's WHATTH?