Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Maatsen - following progress, now at Burnley on loan from Chelsea (p8)

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Made me tired just watching that.
  • Options
    Like the way he is always looking to get the ball forward and not constantly turning back on himself the way some full backs have a tendency to do for fear of losing possession
  • Options
    Cracking little player. Although a work in progress I am surprised at how assured his defensive game is - as we have seen, and Bowyer mentions, he is not afraid to get stuck in.

Probably easy to do when you got people like Chuks, and Innis on the pitch to back you up.
    You reckon? I think he gets caught out of position quite a bit and jumps in too often. Not knocking the lad, fantastic for an 18 year old and who will only get better. Just not 100% sure his future is at left-back, think he'll be a better LM. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Love his reaction there at the final whistle. Sometimes you think a loan player might not be too fussed, but he seems to really care.
  • Options
    It's interesting how we talk about not throwing our kids in too early and yet the Chelski teenagers that come to us slot straight in to physical. competitive football. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    He always wants the ball. Even when he's not in space. Do agree he jumps in a bit over eager at times but that's easily fixed. He's a pleasure to watch play at the moment. And I love his competitiveness, he's a hard worker and to see someone of his size whack other players back is brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Cracking little player. Although a work in progress I am surprised at how assured his defensive game is - as we have seen, and Bowyer mentions, he is not afraid to get stuck in.

Probably easy to do when you got people like Chuks, and Innis on the pitch to back you up.
    You reckon? I think he gets caught out of position quite a bit and jumps in too often. Not knocking the lad, fantastic for an 18 year old and who will only get better. Just not 100% sure his future is at left-back, think he'll be a better LM. 
    Oh, I'm not saying his defensive side is outstanding. But considering when he signed we heard about how strong his attacking play was compared to the defensive side I think it's very solid. 

You've got to remember he is part of a team which kept 6 clean sheets, often when the left side had been targeted as well.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that when was shoved into the hoardings, it was right next to that (disabled?) photographer, it could have been really nasty if they had collided
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Love his reaction there at the final whistle. Sometimes you think a loan player might not be too fussed, but he seems to really care.
    I bet he's really up for this. He's 18 years old and really wants to make his mark.

He's playing League football, when most of his same age Chelsea Academy mates are left behind still playing 'soft' development matches at training grounds.

• Options
    He is doing another live broadcast where he is just chatting 

https://instagram.com/maatsen_?igshid=1e9pvdzjuj3oe
  • Options
    See this thread bumped and the first thing I think is he’s injured!
    "During a behind closed doors match today at the training ground, in a freak accident..."
  • Options
    Is he in competition with Watson 🤣🤣

Last 5 league games he has had 5 bookings and is suspended for MK Franchise 
  • Options
    I would ask the ref to look at the yellow today (I know it can't be appealed) - if he had asked the lino, or just had a word instead of bringing out a card. He obviously did not see what happened. Maatsen was en route to the keeper with the ball.

Bad refs in L1 - nothing changes.
  • Options
    Raising your hands is very often a yellow tbh, you have to be professional.

He'll be back in our starting line-up very soon, mind
  • Options
    I would ask the ref to look at the yellow today (I know it can't be appealed) - if he had asked the lino, or just had a word instead of bringing out a card. He obviously did not see what happened. Maatsen was en route to the keeper with the ball.

Maatsen then retaliated

I would have rested him on Wednesday anyway. He's played a massive number of games for an 18 year old
  • Options

Maatsen then retaliated

I would have rested him on Wednesday anyway. He's played a massive number of games for an 18 year old
    Bowyer agrees with me  :)

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-makes-admission-over-on-loan-chelsea-defender/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We looked a lot better with Purrington at left back.
  • Options
    Is he in competition with Watson 🤣🤣

Last 5 league games he has had 5 bookings and is suspended for MK Franchise 
    Not the worst thing though, it's a winnable game anyway and he could probably do with the rest.
  • Options
    Apparently he's a defender! I'd rather eat a dog shit sandwich every pre match than have to watch him play for us.

passing - x
    tacking - x
    vision - x
    goals - x

• Options
    He isn't very good, not good going forward or defending. Runs around a lot but that's about it.
  • Options
    Feel like he has certainly not been as good as his early performances indicated he may be. 

But that being said he is only 18, learning, and we've kept 7 clean sheets when he has played the full 90 minutes and picked up a couple of assists as well. 

So can't be all that bad. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Apparently he's a defender! I'd rather eat a dog shit sandwich every pre match than have to watch him play for us.

passing - x
    tacking - x
    vision - x
    goals - x

It's clear you only watch Charlton so you can pick one of the players to slag off afterwards.
  • Options
    The most blatant fishing post for quite some time.
  • Options
    Nah, PopIcon has a rich recent history of ludicrous scapegoating player marks and weird grudges. Another Thundercock, but maybe even less funny
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Everyone said Yassin Moutaouakil was good when he first joined us - a bit of pace can be deceptive.