Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Maatsen - following progress, now at Burnley on loan from Chelsea (p8)

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully as long as we're pushing towards the top end of the table and not going through a clusterfuck of an ownership by Christmas, that'll we'll be able to keep him for the season
  • Options
    Excellent debut, I’m not sure we’d have won that without him. He gave us some extra width and was always a danger going forward. Very similar to Jay Da Silva as expected.
  • Options
    Don't praise him too much otherwise he'll be gone by January lol
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Don't praise him too much otherwise he'll be gone by January lol
    I genuinely think we'll see less of him than we'd ideally like to because of this
  • Options
    Good for us if he develops well here

Starting to become a development club for Chelsea, don't mind that one bit with the class they keep sending our way 
  • Options
    Looks a real player. Great going forward, but looked solid in defence too
  • Options
    Solid 7 maybe 7.5/10 half from him. People getting a bit carried away however? Does look good though
    Sorry not having that. The kids 18 and just came on for his debut (second appearance in senior football). He was solid, pacy and created our goal. 
    What? I’m not saying he didn’t do well.
  • Options
    Solid 7 maybe 7.5/10 half from him. People getting a bit carried away however? Does look good though
    Sorry not having that. The kids 18 and just came on for his debut (second appearance in senior football). He was solid, pacy and created our goal. 
    How is anyone getting carried away then? Admittedly I don't want to heap loads of pressure on an 18 year old, but I don't think you can do that with a LB anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couple of odd headers but he looks like a fantastic option on the left.  Purrington was constantly humped by The winger tonight but he was very quiet after Maatsen came on. 

Huge potential on show there and a surprisingly excellent football brain
  • Options
    How is anyone getting carried away then? Admittedly I don't want to heap loads of pressure on an 18 year old, but I don't think you can do that with a LB anyway. 
    He was class when he came on and looks 100 times better than Purrington, just i prefer to be cautiously optimistic. This is Charlton, where he can get injured, recalled early from this loan etc. Someone said earlier although tongue in cheek ‘its unfair on the rest of the league we have him’... based on 45 minutes?
  • Options
    He was class when he came on and looks 100 times better than Purrington, just i prefer to be cautiously optimistic. This is Charlton, where he can get injured, recalled early from this loan etc. Someone said earlier although tongue in cheek ‘its unfair on the rest of the league we have him’... based on 45 minutes?
    Yes of course that comment was OTT, although like you said, probably tongue in cheek. 
  • Options
    I can't see Chelsea recalling him, or sending him elsewhere in January, he's only 18. Indeed burnout may mean we have to rest him for some games
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Bowyer has compared him with Jay Dasilva, but he didn't get into the team straight away, as we also signed Lewis Page that window. It took 3 months before Jay was a regular and it was only when he came back the following season that he really shone
    True - we had Adam Chicksen too, who was ok.  I can only imagine this guy hasn’t come in to play second fiddle to old Purrington
    He's an attacking fullback/wingback, which Purrington isn't really.

It gives us options, ability to change formations, horses for courses ...... but he's still a young lad, quite likely need to break him in gently, perhaps from the bench at first.

And competition for Purrington to keep him on his toes.

On his heels, maybe 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Bowyer has compared him with Jay Dasilva, but he didn't get into the team straight away, as we also signed Lewis Page that window. It took 3 months before Jay was a regular and it was only when he came back the following season that he really shone
    True - we had Adam Chicksen too, who was ok.  I can only imagine this guy hasn’t come in to play second fiddle to old Purrington
    He's an attacking fullback/wingback, which Purrington isn't really.

It gives us options, ability to change formations, horses for courses ...... but he's still a young lad, quite likely need to break him in gently, perhaps from the bench at first.

And competition for Purrington to keep him on his toes.

On his heels, maybe 
    On his arse getting splinters more like because thats where Ben will be im afraid,on the bench.
  • Options
    Quality last night, every time he got the ball you felt something would happen. Heads always up looking to play balls in behind their defenders and cause the defenders issues.

I don't think he'll be starting every game of the season as some think as he's still young, not yet at least. He'll be starting a lot of them I'm sure by Christmas... and hopefully after.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ruud Maatsen had the best 45 minute debut since Oztumer against Forest.
    Oztumer went downhill after that.
    This Dutch lad should only get better as long as he can play on the front foot and is encouraged to get forward. 
    Early days and we need to see his consentration levels for 95 minutes.
  • Options
    Quality last night, every time he got the ball you felt something would happen. Heads always up looking to play balls in behind their defenders and cause the defenders issues.

I don't think he'll be starting every game of the season as some think as he's still young, not yet at least. He'll be starting a lot of them I'm sure by Christmas... and hopefully after.
    Will be interesting to see. I didn’t think Gallagher would play every game due to age, although believe he was 19, and imagine he played around 30 games before leaving in January. 
  • Options
    I don't think we need to worry about him being recalled. Unless we fail to pay his wages! 
  • Options
    Great debut, looks like he has potential to be a good player.

Do you see how I did that without slagging off another player?
  • Options
    I was impressed by his attacking abilities but also when defending if he didn't see an outlet he put the ball into touch
  • Options
    Paulie has just let me know he's doing a Live on Instagram just chatting

https://www.instagram.com/maatsen_/live/?hl=en
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Said he is in a hotel with his cousin atm.

Also said he is enjoying his time at the club playing 2 games a week and getting experience
  • Options
    Cracking little player. Although a work in progress I am surprised at how assured his defensive game is - as we have seen, and Bowyer mentions, he is not afraid to get stuck in.

Probably easy to do when you got people like Chuks, and Innis on the pitch to back you up.