Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Ged has showed his worth, as he's clearly aware that the training ground is inadequate, something that Thomas perhaps didn't realise 

It'll be interesting what happens both in the short term this season, and with more major work moving forward
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Absolutely. 

I love how he speaks of 'we' or 'we as Charlton Athletic' too. 

We're also producing more players than 25% of all Category 1 clubs that are in play. Really bloody good to hear.

Just think what'll happen when Avory & Co have the gear to match their ideas. 

Interesting that Palace have only gone Cat1 in the Summer!
    I understand a handful of our coaches have been poached by Palace already.  We need to get CAT 1 ASAP 
  • Very good interview, a couple of things which caught my ear:

1) We produce 25% more players through Charlton than most Category 1 teams, that's great work from us.

2) It didn't really occur to me that with Palarse being a Category 1 will be a setback on us in the long run so we really need to get into gear to category 1 status.
  • Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Absolutely. 

I love how he speaks of 'we' or 'we as Charlton Athletic' too. 

We're also producing more players than 25% of all Category 1 clubs that are in play. Really bloody good to hear.

Just think what'll happen when Avory & Co have the gear to match their ideas. 

Interesting that Palace have only gone Cat1 in the Summer!
    I understand a handful of our coaches have been poached by Palace already.  We need to get CAT 1 ASAP 
    The Palace training ground is only a short distance away from us too, in New Beckenham, so easy for coaches to move over. You imagine Palace will pay a lot more too
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    Very good interview, a couple of things which caught my ear:

1) We produce 25% more players through Charlton than most Category 1 teams, that's great work from us.

2) It didn't really occur to me that with Palarse being a Category 1 will be a setback on us in the long run so we really need to get into gear to category 1 status.
    You've misinterpreted 1.

It's that we produce more players than 25% of cat 1 teams.
  • It’s interesting that he says the UK is leading the way in sports development.

Then I guess that poses the question, why are the England Football team shite?
  • He is someone with real knowledge and experience. 

This is enormously encouraging. 

• Dazzler21 said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Very good interview, a couple of things which caught my ear:

You've misinterpreted 1.

It's that we produce more players than 25% of cat 1 teams.
    Not knowing enough about the figures but can this also be misinterpreted because we've not been run well for the past few years?

If Roland/ESI aren't buying players and we have an injury crisis and are forced to field 5-6 kids in a game, then is that necessarily a 'better academy' than a well run club who might only give 2-3 youngsters a debut in a season?

Or if we field a bunch of kids in a pizza trophy game, do they skew the figures? As obviously we're playing a bunch of kids in a tournament we don't even want to be in.

Obviously historically we have a good academy, but i'm just wondering how these figures are worked out. Is it any kid who makes an appearance, or is it a set number of first team league games?
  • Seriously impressive interview 
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a guy with serious clout and experience. He's bought in to a great vision of where this club can get to. Think it's a major coup to have him on board, and once again it's consistent positive messaging with information and openness to back it up. So refreshing. 
  • Is there a thread about the fella who’s left from our amazing fitness/physio/ medical team ... 
  • Really enjoying these interviews. There is very appealing sense of both optimism and reality - feels like people know what they want and that this is for the genuine benefit of the club, but they are not shy in talking about the time and hard work that it will take to get there. For me, that practical tone makes me believe that I am not being lied to or treated like a naive child.
  • Finally got around to listening to the whole interview. Interesting and very technical chap.

We now know why Thomas was very keen on the Swindon game, as that's where he asked Ged to meet him. The amount of background work he's done is so assuring.  
  • Superb interview. 

The information he let out about not having a S&C guy, a reduced medical team ties in with the LB article on not having the money for balls, cones and mannequins.

I’m glad Ged has been able to better inform TS about the state of the training ground. Thomas’ initial gushing comments about Sparrows Lane sounded like he’d been to a different site.

The short term fixes Ged hinted at - does anyone know if these are happening / have happened? I’m hoping the S&C / Medical / Physio “departments” are sufficiently staffed. I saw some comments about changes in the medical team but am not sufficiently in the know (haven’t got a clue to be honest) who or how many people are currently involved in those areas.

If someone would provide a brief summary that would be really appreciated. Without being able to bump into more local fans at matches some of us displaced from the area have little understanding of the goings on beyond what appears on this forum.
  • edited November 2020
    MattF said:
    Guessing it'll be Wayne Mumford at some point a little further down the line
    Just for you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Au_PUapVyI4
    Can I have a look too...please ;)
    Had a look anyway.. not much of an interview :)
  • So, idle speculation.

Is Roddy the kingmaker?

If Roddy's role was to come in and look at the playing set up and report back to Sandgaard what was/is his advice now?

And how much will TS listen to Roddy's advice on keeping Bowyer and, if required, on replacing him?

• Sponsored links:

• So, idle speculation.

Is Roddy the kingmaker?

If Roddy's role was to come in and look at the playing set up and report back to Sandgaard what was/is his advice now?

And how much will TS listen to Roddy's advice on keeping Bowyer and, if required, on replacing him?

The way things are going whatever Roddy says to Tommy it ain't going to show Bowyer in a glowing light. 
  • He’s seen exactly what we’ve seen so can’t be overly impressed. Add to that he’s got an inside track on training and relationships. If some of the things rumoured are true then I would imagine that overall he’s not exactly fully behind Lee.
  • So, idle speculation.

Is Roddy the kingmaker?

It looks like we are going to find out...
  • Its him or LB 
  • lolwray said:
    Its him or LB 
    Only one way that is going to end ..
  • So, idle speculation.

Is Roddy the kingmaker?

Implicitly I would of thought.
    Sandgaards football man from top to bottom charged with turning his investment into one of the countries top football clubs if you believe the fanfare.
  • So, idle speculation.

Is Roddy the kingmaker?

TS wouldn't have hired Roddy if he wasn't going to listen to his advice.

Ultimately Roddy is a TS hire, Bowyer is not.
    This.