Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Options
    On the face of it, it’s a good appointment. The strategic direction of the club is very important.
  • Options
    Query re Sparrows Lane - will we be seeking to revert the planning permission to the originally approved 3 storey structure? That would seem to be more in keeping with the Cat 1 ambitions and in line with the appointment of Ged.

I remember being confused by the reduction in ambition to the 2 storey and MS's insistence that the planning was all there for a Cat 1 level facility with the appropriate number of dedicated classrooms.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    LoOkOuT said:
    What’s his position on French women?
    LoOkOuT said:
    What’s his position on French women?
     Doggy Roddy
  • Options
    A step towards regaining the respectability we once had on and off the field.
  • Options
    No one has asked the most important question of all...... How tall is he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    where does this leave Basey ? .. back doing the washing ?
    Doing his usual day to day job of bridging the gap between the U23's and the senior squad.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    This is an excellent appointment.

Ged has worked at the very top of the game and with some of the very best coaches we have seen, including working alongside Wenger at FIFA and the introduction of how academies are run as we know them to be now.

His CV is extremely impressive, and to me, this is a real statement of intent going forward.

Sandgaard isn't here to mess around, he wants success and to build something with strong foundations and a culture that is about being the best and winning. How to do that in a sensible way is tapping into what is an already excellent academy set up that arguably, has overachieved for so long, especially with the resources and facilities we have had to work with in comparison to other clubs in London.

This appointment allows Bowyer to solely focus on the team and how he can improve it. Gallen to focus on the recruitment, the scouting and working closely alongside Bowyer in going out and finding the right type of player we need. Avory to focus on the academy, the philosophy and culture he has set up and with another experienced member of staff at the club who knows about that type of work, it can relieve some stress from him and take us to another level in the production and development of our young players.

Ultimately, what this does is allow crucial members of the club to focus on the areas they're expert in. All whilst we have someone who can lend a hand in implementing what we want to achieve at the club.

Yes, we desperately need a few more players, we need a goalscorer to help us get out of this division, because as soon as we do, the plan can really start to come together. But really, this has the potential to be one of the best signings Sandgaard could've made, especially at this early stage of his ownership.
    Good post @sage

Should do your job prospects no harm 😂

It is an ambitious move, especially so early into his regime, by TS 

If it frees up LB, SG and SA to focus on their roles then all good.

There is always a danger that new roles upset existing teams especially if those roles and responsibilities aren't clearly defined or if there is crossover or ambiguity. Tuckman for you management/HR types.

My hope is that is an indication that we shall be an ambitious club with a long term vision for growth that includes the academy achieving category 1 status.

How that is achieved while Duchatelet owns Sparrows Lane remains, for me, a key question.
    build a new academy elsewhere?
  • Options
    Query re Sparrows Lane - will we be seeking to revert the planning permission to the originally approved 3 storey structure? That would seem to be more in keeping with the Cat 1 ambitions and in line with the appointment of Ged.

I remember being confused by the reduction in ambition to the 2 storey and MS's insistence that the planning was all there for a Cat 1 level facility with the appropriate number of dedicated classrooms.
    I think the upper floor was a Roland thing for having young players living on site, however it was presented to planning at the time. 
  • Options
    I hope the trench does not get neglected...
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Would ya?
  • Options
    Would ya?
    Come on Elf's what did you type and then think twice about  ;)  
  • Options
    Sage said:

Ged has worked at the very top of the game and with some of the very best coaches we have seen, including working alongside Wenger at FIFA and the introduction of how academies are run as we know them to be now.

His CV is extremely impressive, and to me, this is a real statement of intent going forward.

Sandgaard isn't here to mess around, he wants success and to build something with strong foundations and a culture that is about being the best and winning. How to do that in a sensible way is tapping into what is an already excellent academy set up that arguably, has overachieved for so long, especially with the resources and facilities we have had to work with in comparison to other clubs in London.

This appointment allows Bowyer to solely focus on the team and how he can improve it. Gallen to focus on the recruitment, the scouting and working closely alongside Bowyer in going out and finding the right type of player we need. Avory to focus on the academy, the philosophy and culture he has set up and with another experienced member of staff at the club who knows about that type of work, it can relieve some stress from him and take us to another level in the production and development of our young players.

Ultimately, what this does is allow crucial members of the club to focus on the areas they're expert in. All whilst we have someone who can lend a hand in implementing what we want to achieve at the club.

Yes, we desperately need a few more players, we need a goalscorer to help us get out of this division, because as soon as we do, the plan can really start to come together. But really, this has the potential to be one of the best signings Sandgaard could've made, especially at this early stage of his ownership.
    Good post @sage

There is always a danger that new roles upset existing teams especially if those roles and responsibilities aren't clearly defined or if there is crossover or ambiguity. Tuckman for you management/HR types.

My hope is that is an indication that we shall be an ambitious club with a long term vision for growth that includes the academy achieving category 1 status.

How that is achieved while Duchatelet owns Sparrows Lane remains, for me, a key question.
    This.
    It would not surprise me.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Good post @sage

Interesting thought 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:
    Sage said:

Good post @sage

This.
    It would not surprise me.
    Which could have consequences with the Valley I would imagine
  • Options
    I live 10 miles from Reading and work with Reading supporters. They have ever mentioned him in all the years I have lived and worked here, and is never mentioned in local football round ups.

That said he comes with a good pedigree and CV. Let's hope this is one of the foundations that this club needs similar to that of the Varney years. 

Welcome Ged.
  • Options
    I live 10 miles from Reading and work with Reading supporters. They have ever mentioned him in all the years I have lived and worked here, and is never mentioned in local football round ups.

That said he comes with a good pedigree and CV. Let's hope this is one of the foundations that this club needs similar to that of the Varney years. 

Welcome Ged.
    But he’s never worked with Reading has he?

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Does anyone else keep reading this as Rod Geddy? 
    Not me but reading ‘Ged Roddy’ and I just have a mental picture of the policeman from ‘allo ‘allo bursting out a rendition of the chorus to Shalamars A Night To Remember.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Welcome Ged.

yes and they sacked him ...
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Welcome Ged.

Ok, missed that 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:

Welcome Ged.

Ok, missed that 
    Ha you must have thought Chippy's post was proper random in that case! :-)
  • Options
    Would ya?
    Come on Elf's what did you type and then think twice about  ;)  
    Only if he grew a beard :D
  • Options
    Interesting one this. As long as it doesn’t mean Gallen’s wings are clipped or Bowyer is overruled, it sounds good.