Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Did TS not say last week that he would be the sole director? Maybe I misunderstood and there's a load of fish that don't know where they're going.
  • Options
    Looks a good appointment, but there may be some overlap with the current roles of Gallen and Avory
    I think both have been over-stretched after years of cuts so will welcome a bit of help! If anyone can help us get to a Category 1 academy it’s this guy, though I expect that’s a long way off. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Yeah I'm not worrying about his time at Reading. He's had a long career and that was a very brief stint. Everyone has roles they just don't fit with throughout their careers. 
  • Options
    Does anyone else keep reading this as Rod Geddy? 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Errr.. not guilty ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Did TS not say last week that he would be the sole director? Maybe I misunderstood and there's a load of fish that don't know where they're going.
    Executive director yes. But Roddy is a club employee (despite the job title) he's not appointed to the board as far as I can see. In terms of ownership and financial control, Sandgaard remains the only director.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Executive director yes. But Roddy is a club employee (despite the job title) he's not appointed to the board as far as I can see. In terms of ownership and financial control, Sandgaard remains the only director.
    Ahh I see, I got the wrong end of the stick
  • Options
    Thanks @KentishAddick. That sounds fairly positive to me, in the sense that it could be seen as taking a load off the Steves' and Lee's backs, and leaving them to concentrate on the operational side of things. Will have to see how it works out in practice though.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    God Ready.
    😉
  • Options
    An exceedingly impressive CV. He could either be desparately in need of a new job to pay the mortgage or he has bought in to the enthusiasm and promised long term investment of TS. It could even be a bit of both. Either way it looks like a positive step for the club and Sparrows Lane. He might even convince Thomas to upscale the plans for SL given the Cat 1 development at Reading he just came from.

To think a few weeks ago we were close to having Jones foisted upon us and now we have the guy that helped set up the Academy pathway. 

The ITKs must be doing their nut - the BBC and the Official Site getting first dibs on the news these days. Apologies if I missed someone tipping off Roddy's arrival.
  • Options
    I think @ButtleJR did here (https://charltonlife.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/4064778/#Comment_4064778) but deleted it later, although not before other people had quoted it.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Reckon Bowyer would have agreed to this appointment, so would think anything Bowyer didn't want to be in GR's remit that may be listed above, probably ain't. And things they may not be listed above, could well come under GR's remit.

Be good to hear Bowyer thoughts on it
    Whatever he says, Bowyer always gives himself away by the tone of his voice and the look on his face.

We'll soon tell if he's pleased or not.

• Options
    I wonder if he ever used to play cards on the coach to games, because his poker face is nearly as bad as my sister's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sounds good to me 
  • Options
    Very good appointment. The role description posted by @KentishAddick is really helpful but the devil is in the detail and it's important that Roddy, Bowyer, Gallen and Avory all understand how their roles dovetail. We don't want any strops from toes being inadvertently trodden on.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    In 1995, I attended trials for the South of England Universities representative side, which was held at Bath Uni and which he was running. I played a blinder. He didn't select me. Cock.  ;)

It sounds like Ged Roddy is a good judge of football talent. It's a yes from me.  >:)
  • Options
    Just hope that LB, SG & SA see it as a plus. Impressive CV if we discount the reports from Reading. TS must be getting guidance from others surely, with apparently little knowledge of the English game where would he chance upon Ged Roddy ? Who on here were aware of him ?
  • Options
    Just hope that LB, SG & SA see it as a plus. Impressive CV if we discount the reports from Reading. TS must be getting guidance from others surely, with apparently little knowledge of the English game where would he chance upon Ged Roddy ? Who on here were aware of him ?
    I'd never heard of him, I confess ........   with a name like that,  I thought he did a gardening programme on the BBC.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I'd never heard of him, I confess ........   with a name like that,  I thought he did a gardening programme on the BBC.

Haha when I first saw him mentioned the other day I thought somebody was just twisting get ready.