Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Government urged to allow return of fans (ed. Limited crowds to return in Tiers 1&2)

Comments

• Options
    If you avoid public transport & inside pubs. I can't see the problem. Keep your distance entering & exiting and sit outside in the fresh air away from others. Shops & supermarkets carry more risk. 
    Apart from that enjoy the game
  • Options
    Seems a bit early to let fans back in. Not sure you can compare an open air cinema to every team in the country letting fans back in...
  • Options
    clive said:
    clb74 said:
    clive said:
    111,283 signatures
    Including mine 
    Its funny how were all different.
    With the restrictions in place and cases rising theres no urge in me wanting to go.
    To think over 160000 people would go to football a week Saturday is mind boggling considering at this present moment.
      From the beginning of the covid outbreak people have been travelling on public transport, going into shops &
    pubs/bars etc ,when permitted, surely going to a football match in 'covid safe' conditions is no more risky.
    As i have stated before, i want to to carry on with my life as near normal as possible whilst obeying the present social distancing restrictions.
    Tbh Clive when the pubs closed in  march i thought they wouldn't reopen till at least October 
  • Options
    If you avoid public transport & inside pubs. I can't see the problem. Keep your distance entering & exiting and sit outside in the fresh air away from others. Shops & supermarkets carry more risk. 
    Avoid public transport, pubs, chanting and shouting.

Sounds like a fun day out !
  • Options
    Well done to our club for bringing  this petition to the notice of fans via the OS .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Avoid public transport, you have just ruled out a large number of fans who need public transport to get to the game. Also will see a massive increase in car use, as car sharing must be out as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    shine166 said:

It's obviously not going to be as good and I haven't read one person anywhere suggesting it will be.
    But I do believe that you should have the right to choose if you would rather go to a match or restaurant, as long as you are adhering to the rules.
    But currently the rules say no to spectators at elite sport.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    iainment said:
    shine166 said:

It's obviously not going to be as good and I haven't read one person anywhere suggesting it will be.
    But I do believe that you should have the right to choose if you would rather go to a match or restaurant, as long as you are adhering to the rules.
    But currently the rules say no to spectators at elite sport.
    Exactly, this is what we are debating.
  • Options
    Your having a laugh as things are this precise moment the trust think its a good idea.
  • Options
    Have the trust cancelled the agm for this year?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I reckon Boris will be shutting the pubs and restaurants again next week in line with Scotland so the choice will not be that hard to make.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I reckon Boris will be shutting the pubs and restaurants again next week in line with Scotland so the choice will not be that hard to make.
    I think you may be right and said as much on the Covid thread yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    The BBC reported the major footballing bodies the Premier League and the WSL are appealing to the Government.  

Did I miss when the WSL became the number 2 league in this country. My God, why oh why are we having women’s football rammed down our throats at every opportunity. Football focus, has always only believed the Premiership exists. However, now every week we have a large slot given over to the WSL.

Spurs ladies top the attendance league last season with an average 8614. Next best Arsenal 4749. Down to Brighton, Reading, Birmingham, and Bristol with around 1,500.  So why is their view now highlighted as being more important than, the EFL clubs who can double their entire league attendance at a single EFL Championship game. 

Please is it just me, who doesn’t get this agenda....... .?

This is a fun take. Maybe the WSL are being highlighted in the article to indicate that the top leagues from both men's and women's football are arguing the case. The Premier League are the major footballing body for men's football, the WSL for women's football, it's that simple, it's not a conspiracy to make women's football seem more important than League One. I'm sorry to hear that women's football is being rammed down your throat though. I imagine hearing about it must be very difficult for you. I'm not sure what happened in your life that has prevented you from changing the channel when something you don't like comes on TV, but you have my sympathies.
    To be honest, what you've said about women's attendance is a great point; the smaller numbers of attendees actually makes them safer to have fans return to the stadiums. Less crowding on public transport, fewer people disappointed by smaller numbers and less interest meaning less chance of overcrowding. Add to that that women's football gets even less money in terms of sponsorship, club support and TV money and their existence is even more at threat than lots of EFL teams if their parent teams don't bail them out.
    Hmmm....
  • Options
    I signed the petition. I live 10 minutes' walk from The Valley and would wear a mask throughout. I think if masks were enforced and we were allowed noise-making devices like rattles or what have you then it could be fairly risk-free (compared to a lot of other currently-allowed things) 

For those coming from further afield...idk. Set off earlier? 😉
  • Options
    I guess the question of how you eat your pie and chips with a mask on comes to mind. To which my answer would be not opening any of the food or drink bars. 
  • Options
    I know I'm supposed to be the Woke Voice Of Doing The Right Thing or whatever but I miss football too much 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Does anyone know what seriously went so horrendously wrong when the ‘trial’ of having 7 clubs having fans back in the ground, or was it just blind panic that forced a dramatic decision to postpone match attendance till March.

Personally I can see us getting to spring time with a huge death rate behind us and the situation being looked at with a restart in September (depending on how things go again next summer).

Was it an uptick in cases or R rate increases, I have no idea, and haven’t heard it being explained?

For the record Cineworld are closing tomorrow until who knows when, if ever.

I used to watch 65 films a year at the cinema, and have only been to 1 film since they reopened in July.

Im just not sure I’d feel comfortable going to watch a football match whilst the death rate was going up on a daily basis, could be at 130 - 150 a day next week, and 250 -300 the week after if it progresses at the pace it did back in the spring, i guess you’re always going to get a split of opinions, and argument for and against.

Id sooner watch the game on a live feed than not at all, even though it’s not the same being at the game.

I know it’s the same for both teams, and it’s an easy get out excuse to blame performances on fans not being there, but we get plenty of stick when we do go, if we get on the teams back (missed chances etc) giving silly goals away or don’t take enough fans to away games, just the local ‘derbies’
  • Options
    Hope they remember to shut the curtains

• Options
    MattF said:
    https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/chesterfield-apologise-streaming-issues-against-hartlepool-united-and-offer-fans-chance-watch-woking-match-free-2996417

Maybe they better open the curtains, Hartlepool fans who bought the stream from Chesterfield are very unhappy with Chesterfield's offer as it stands.
  • Options
    The virus is surging currently with astronomical numbers of new cases added daily, hospital and critical numbers rising and very sadly the number of deaths being consistently higher than it was just a few weeks ago.

During peaks of the virus we should be trying to limit social contact between people, I’m really not sure that having hundreds of thousands of people across the country attend football matches at this moment in time is a great idea and trust me as a regular attendee it hurts me as much as anyone. Kinda surprised the Trust have backed it to be honest.