Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Nice guy, good attitude, absolute banter price. League one striker at best as he misses sooooo many chances. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I blame him for our relegation in the end, some of those chances he missed in the end were criminal. 
    2m you’re havin a larf ! 
    YOU WHAT? This is likely a whoosh moment...

Bonne was the reason we still had a chance he scored goals to keep us in the fight otherwise we'd have been relegated a few games earlier!
    But the miss against Wigan and the 1-on-1 with the keeper against the spanners?
    BWP couldn't score one v ones either
    Yeah but I think BWP was more consistent for us, especially in L1. 

Bonne's a nice enough lad an all, but his form fell of a cliff in the second half of last season. 
    Did he... Went a huge period that season without scoring - took him two games to get going that season anyway

Nor did he have to worry about his head being turned

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=39634&season_id=141
    Perhaps Bonnes form might have been better if it wasnt for the break in the season, but I dont think he would have approached the 20 goals BWP managed in our promotion season. 

Good luck to him and QPR but I cant see him scoring more then 8 or 9 for them this season. 
  • Decent bit of business IF we sign some goal scorers.

Worked hard and was a trier but needed 7 opportunities to score- shows he had good positional sense and created the right chances for himself and going to a club in a better position as back up/ rotation striker may afford him the luxury of time to work on his finishing and improve his chance/ to goal ratio.

He's not had that with us as pretty much got thrown in on arrival due to necessity.  Our need is more urgent in terms of getting players in now who will net chances rather than long term prospects.

Good luck Macauley. A decent striker in there.
    Good post. Definitely a decent striker in there, we see him miss a lot of chances but as you say he has great positional sense to find the space & be in position to miss those chances. Disappointed that we bring in maddison who would be sticking lots of balls into the box for someone who scored 11 goals last season to get on the end of but there you are. Yes good business buying for 200k IF the deal is as reported around 2m or does that include lots of add ons. The thing that really pisses me off is selling a striker before at least bringing in one as replacement. So we now have one senior striker at the club & while for sure there are probably plenty of strikers out there how many good strikers are available who want to play for 2k a week ? I would have preferred to bring in a striker & kept Bonne as a back up but money talks I guess.

Edit. Having just read his statement about his head was turned ( or was it his scummy agents head?) as soon as heard of qpr interest then good riddance though would still have liked to get a replacement through the door first.
    Most of the misses people are talking about are the 1 on 1's, not a ball flashing across the box that he blasts over. A bit more composure, or a natural strikers ability to put the ball away & we wouldn't have got relegated. Super Clive was not quick so needed to use his nous to score goals when put through. He got a fair number of pens by going round the keeper & drawing a foul - rather than trying to slot it past, under or over the keeper. 
  • Looking through the comments about 60% are pleased he has gone. I can't think its good business as we aren't cash strapped now are we? Assume its freed up some wages under the cap, but I wouldn't have thought he was on much coming from non league.

I thought he did well, playing several levels higher than he was used to, in a team that punched above its  weight and created few chances. Thought his work rate was good. So, sad to see him go. I think he will improve and its a shame we won't benefit from what he has learnt in his time with us.

The head turning comment was a usual crass cliché they all use, so not bothered. The comments by his missus show a distinct lack of class - if she has been upset by Addicks' comments she ain't seen nothin yet.

As others have commented we await Bowyer/Gallen's next move to see if it was good business or not. Given Chuk's injury record I think we need two new strikers.

I think Lee said hes hoping to bring in two strikers in the LNO interview about Bonnes move. 
  • Good move for him & us, be interesting watching from afar if he goes on and becomes a decent Championship goal scorer, wish him all the best if he does or doesn’t,  very good business & player improvement by SG, LB and JJ. This hopefully stops the rot of our better players being robbed by others, amazing what good ownership can do. 
  • I blame him for our relegation in the end, some of those chances he missed in the end were criminal. 
    2m you’re havin a larf ! 

Without Bonne goals in the season we would've been down before the 9 game extension.

Taylor would've helped bring Bonne game on but Taylor's injury, COVID-19 and Lyle wrapping himself in cotton wool put paid to that.
  • edited October 2020
    Croydon said:
    MattF said:
    Think we upset his missus

All very sensitive these days aren't they. Tell your fella to win a header, might be cut some slack.
    Classy tweet.

Yep.  If he could finish reliably and consistently we probably wouldn't have been relegated.  Perhaps reflect that it was the cast iron ability to miss absolute sitters that ushered in an element of doubt.  

Social media does no favours for most.
  • Sponsored links:

• They would not let him go at this point if 2 more strikers were not in the bag
  • Struggling to understand those who feel we’ve pulled their pants down. £2m doesn’t get you much for a Championship striker these days, Eze going for £20m and Watkins £28m shows the level of upsell available.

Bonne scored double figures in his 1st Champ season, no pens, a 1 in 3 record in a relegated team that didn’t create many chances. He runs all day for the cause as well. He’s also young enough to hold resale value if successful.

Id be scratching my head if I was a QPR fan reading the response. 
    This. We moaned we didn’t create chances now suddenly Bonne missed too many. I don’t think that’s the case but he missed 2 crucial ones, against Millwall and Birmingham so I guess they stand out and are fresh. 

I think 2mil plus a sell on is slightly short, wanted 3 really. That being said it’s clearly to balance the side with the cap so I understand it. Wish it had been Tuesday though giving us a few days to get one in. 
  • He might do a Watkins, but Watkins had 3 season in the Championship playing 40+ games a season and scoring double figures in all three seasons. 

I don't think we've sold the next Watkins
  • I didnt mind Bonne but there's no denying he had 2-3 very good chances to win games after lockdown. A "good" striker takes 2 out of the 3 at least. 

Think long term this will be better for Charlton than QPR. If he does well then good for him but we will see!
  • Good luck and a good price. 
  • A tosser? A prick? Disrespectful?

All these insults just for saying that his 'head was turned.'

What does that even mean? It's a nothing comment.

Jeeeeeeez, some people on here are very touchy.

He came in unexpectedly when we were desperate, gave his all, and scored goals. Good luck to him.
    it is a nothing comment. yeah they will pay him a hell of alot more than we would be able to but has even seen loftus road?! fuck me brisbane road is a better ground. 
  • Blimey! Bonne scored some very tidy goals for us but also missed some sitters, including against Brum which in hindsight would have kept us up. Good biz for us and I hope Mac does well for them. There is potential there mind.
    Indeed.

We've sort of done a Brentford here ...... bring in a rough diamond, polish him a bit, and sell him on for good profit.

It seems both our club and the player are in a win-win situation.
    Everybody happy.

• ButtleJR said:
    Sandgaard made a comment to me a couple of weeks ago that he would've scored a few of the chances Bonne missed. Don't think he was a big fan. 
    Oh no, an owner with an opinion on players! Thought we’d ditched that with RD!!
    Taking what you have posted at face value, it was a private conversation between himself and ButtleJR and not one made for public opinion or comment.
    Therefore, you are making an assumption that he will do this in future (as did Duchatalet), which is a bit premature wouldn’t you say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really don't get the "we've pulled their pants down" stuff. He's a gamble by QPR but £2m in the Championship is hardly going to send them into admin if he doesn't work out. Wasn't KAG about the same price? Admittedly that was to a PL team do an inflated fee there but one that was already planning for the Championship plus he had only one good season in L1. Price seems about right for both clubs imo.
  • 50/50 for me, could go there, score 15 and end up a £10M striker.  Could go there, barely play and be released in a couple of years.  He showed he can finish but the rest of his game seemed to tail off after it looked promising in his first few games.  I am glad we have a sell on clause and, for £2M am disappointed to see him go.  That said Gallen/Bowyer and super judges so if they are happy with the business then all well and good.
  • Always got the feeling Bowyer didn’t rate him and wasn’t there a rumour he was bought without consulting Bow?

Good luck to him and hopefully it’s a great deal for him financially, coming from non league etc. 

Have total faith Bow and Gallen have this all worked out. 
  • So we presume the transfer fee goes to Thomas however it’s paid? No questions?
    4 months wages ha
  • Has he passed the medical yet? It’s not a done deal until he does and he had those heart issues earlier in the year. Would be a red flag for me if I were QPR
  • colthe3rd said:
    Really don't get the "we've pulled their pants down" stuff. He's a gamble by QPR but £2m in the Championship is hardly going to send them into admin if he doesn't work out. Wasn't KAG about the same price? Admittedly that was to a PL team do an inflated fee there but one that was already planning for the Championship plus he had only one good season in L1. Price seems about right for both clubs imo.
    QPR are not the sort of club that take £2m gambles. He is not a natural finisher like KAG based upon what I’ve seen to date. Will be amazed if he exceeds his return of last season and expect him to be in and out of the team with minimal impact.
  • Struggling to understand those who feel we’ve pulled their pants down. £2m doesn’t get you much for a Championship striker these days, Eze going for £20m and Watkins £28m shows the level of upsell available.

Bonne scored double figures in his 1st Champ season, no pens, a 1 in 3 record in a relegated team that didn’t create many chances. He runs all day for the cause as well. He’s also young enough to hold resale value if successful.

Id be scratching my head if I was a QPR fan reading the response. 

Particularly when you look at someone like BWP who we'd all crave for in League One, and how absolutely dreadful he was at Championship level coming absolutely nowhere near that. £2m really isn't a lot of money for 10 Championship goals, with the £140m or whatever is on the line, if you can get into the lottery of the playoffs.

Kermorgant scored 12 for us in the Championship in a season, and is other than Lyle, probably our clear cut best striker we've had since Darren Bent. He's obviously got a better all round game, but that is a 1 goal better return than Bonne had in his first season at a level far higher than he has ever played before

If he wanted to go, and Bowyer/Gallen have some targets they have identified as better, or equivalent players then fine, but the general happiness of losing our best goalscoring threat right before the window closers is a bit of a head scratcher for me.
    I'd be happier if we had already signed the replacement strikers. We've been down this path before, where you sell a player but the deals for the replacement fall through...
  • A tosser? A prick? Disrespectful?

All these insults just for saying that his 'head was turned.'

What does that even mean? It's a nothing comment.

Jeeeeeeez, some people on here are very touchy.

He came in unexpectedly when we were desperate, gave his all, and scored goals. Good luck to him.

In the old days when we could go to matches, wives, parents, siblings hear the dogs abuse at games. (Was on chatting terms with some ex players Dad's)

When the bright spark Charlton fan is having a mare with the wires, he doesn't get called a wanker in front of his nearest and dearest.

If you are upset by getting the middle finger from Bonne's lady then don't give it, if you can't take it.

Now, moving on who are the two new world class strikers coming to League 1 ?