Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne joins QPR for £2m (Ed. Joined Ipswich on loan)

Comments

• Wishing Macauley all the best for the future. Never the finished article for us but was always a trier and did score some good goals. Complete trust in LB and SG. Good business to get £2m for Bonne - and I'm sure they already have a couple of new strikers lined up.
  • At least that interview reveals we played 75k for Purrington.
    I believe we paid a fee for Gilbey also, perhaps Washington too?

• Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/macauley-bonne-signs-for-qpr/

He actually said his head was turned!!! haha
    The second I heard there was interest, my head was turned,” he said. “I’ll easily say that – my head was turned straight away.

But of a tosser statement from him tbh
    Or just another way of saying he was excited.

Can't really blame him ..... 18 months ago playing non-League for Leyton Orient on small wages.

Last year, at Charlton, stepped up to the plate, much improved wages but compared to others here, he wouldn't have been on a top salary especially with the tiny playing budget.

And QPR, flush with the Eze money has given him a 3 year contract, signing on fee and no doubt salary/benefits on a very decent Championship contract.

Of course he's excited. 

To me “head turned” means you aren’t 100% focused, that’s not the same as being excited. He played his first few games of the season like a player that wasn’t focused too. 

I think you are providing an overly sympathetic interpretation of a pretty poor statement.
  • A decent price BUT it does leave us very short up front now. And with the wages cap, it's not as if we can wave pound notes at potential targets to get them to join us.
  • Great business!
  • I think, as it stands the deal is a good one because the price is right and we have the chance to replace him. I like him as a player, but he is much more potential than the finished article, so time will tell if he goes on to fulfill it: good luck to him!
  • Good move all round.......he just wasn’t doing the business for us, whatever the reason.
    Delighted and quite surprised with the £2,000,000 fee too.
    As for Bonne, he may go on and do the business that was expected of him by us.......I’m 50/50 on that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure if this one is a reflection on his potential or just the state of the transfer market more generally tbh. 3rd division strikers getting sold for £2m is madness unless they're they real deal or have a proven track record. He's neither.

Hopefully this will be reinvested straight back into the team and it'll turn out to be a great bit of business for us. An experienced lower division bulldozer of a striker would be nice, we've been powderpuff up front for too long. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Decent return for us, he plays in the championship, we can use the money and wages to strengthen the rest of the squad, everyone's a winner.

Anyone on here follows him on Instagram will know he's a good lad with a real down to earth family and partner, and is essentially living the dream right now, so on a personal level I'm really happy for him. Plus he owns miniature dachshunds and I have one too and they follow eachother on social media so I'm biased :smiley:
    This is a big part of it for me, a reason I'm disappointed he's gone. 

He knew he was living the dream & is clearly a good lad. No way on earth did it affect his effort.

I hope we can replace him with better, but I don't know who is available in the market that'll take low wages.

IBWT. 
  • Currently a good you tube highlights reel kind of player. he always seemed to score really difficult finishes. But has missed far far too many sitters since the restart.

if that goes away, we may think of this as selling too cheap.

Personally though, didn't think that was going to stop immediately , therefore brilliant business and we can get on with trying to get out of this hole of a division with someone who may have less talent, but will take the chances on offer.

Nearly the whole years wages paid for!
  • Sponsored links:

• There's potential and potential but, trying to take hindsight out of the equation and assuming you had the money to spend, would you have paid, as a Championship club £2m for Bonne or, as a Premier League outfit £3.5m for Gomez? The former deal is a punt but the latter is daylight robbery!
  • Good bit of business just surprised its come before Saturday as it leaves us very short up front

Assuming Aneke isn't ready(hasn't had much training)
    Schwartz who knows whats happpening

So gonna leave us with just Davison

Also Bonnes comments may explain his performances this season, if his head was turned by QPR then he wouldn't have been giving us 100% in case of injury
  • Not sure if this one is a reflection on his potential or just the state of the transfer market more generally tbh. 3rd division strikers getting sold for £2m is madness unless they're they real deal or have a proven track record. He's neither.

Hopefully this will be reinvested straight back into the team and it'll turn out to be a great bit of business for us. An experienced lower division bulldozer of a striker would be nice, we've been powderpuff up front for too long. 
    The wider football world considers him a Championship striker though, as he proved he CAN score at that level
  • Good deal - forward line needed sorting out if we are to stand a chance of going up
  • Good deal....surprised at the fee, my mate who is a QPR fan told me we got a bad deal with Washington, maybe their getting one back.