Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Options
    You get out of life what you put into it.
    In no way am I passing judgement on the guy.
  • Options
    I’ve said this in the past but I really do not see a happy ending here.

he doesn’t appear to have any/many mates, he only sees his daughter occasionally, his body has let him down and I don’t get the impression he’s especially intelligent.  If the gambling rumours are true and he is skint it’s really hard to see where this one ends up going positively.

I wish him all the best and hope he gets the help he needs but I am not convinced the £3k is the answer
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    cafctom said:
    Blimey. He must be in a pretty tough place if he doesn’t have any savings at all after a year out.

I know players at League One level don’t make millions each year, but they do very, very well relatively speaking
    Just bought my first house and he lives very close. Apparently he's skint! He was on 5k+ a week. He got kicked out of his last house... 
    Assuming that some goes on child support, what on earth has he done with the rest? Seems to live a modest life and spend the majority of his time playing computer games. Gambling problem?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I thought he was saying recently he didn't need football and was live streaming himself playing video games? 
    You don’t get paid for just turning up online, you need people to subscribe and there’s a threshold (1000 and 4000 public watch hours) you need to break through before the content can be monetised, through advert hosting.
    perhaps he thought you could just log in and people would start paying him!
  • Options
    Not the same person but Jack from love island also got kicked out of his flat for non payment of rent for 6 months but to look on social media you would not think it 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

he doesn’t appear to have any/many mates, he only sees his daughter occasionally, his body has let him down and I don’t get the impression he’s especially intelligent.  If the gambling rumours are true and he is skint it’s really hard to see where this one ends up going positively.

I wish him all the best and hope he gets the help he needs but I am not convinced the £3k is the answer
    I'm not convinced the £3k is for an operation. Who's to say the money wont be spent on something else (I'll leave you to answer what).

He is his own worst enemy. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Probably in the minority but I donated a tenner.

He is talented and I hope that he gets to play at a decent level again. I suspect that in the National League he would be worth a punt. 

Interesting to see how the thread has evolved. Many were excited by his signing in a similar way to Scott Fraser in that both players had torn us apart for previous clubs. 

I welcomed Marcus in L1 and was particularly impressed by his brief cameo against Sunderland. Along with his goals against Orient and Plymouth he did have his moments playing for us. In the couple of games I saw him in live last season he impressed me.

Good luck Marcus. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Probably in the minority but I donated a tenner.

He is talented and I hope that he gets to play at a decent level again. I suspect that in the National League he would be worth a punt. 

Interesting to see how the thread has evolved. Many were excited by his signing. 

I welcomed it in L1 and was particularly impressed by his brief cameo against Sunderland. Along with his goals against Orient and Peterborough he did have his moments playing for us. Indeed in the couple of games I saw him in live last season he impressed me.

Good luck Marcus. 
    He's clearly a talented player, that's why it's such a shame that (whatever the reason, and it's never simple) he can't quite find it in himself to have that professionalism and work ethic to push him on.

Now he's been out of the game, had injury issues, and given he's previously confirmed his attitude is to live how he wants, train properly when he fancies it & not particularly follow manager's instructions, he may find it very hard to get back into the game.  But maybe someone at L2 sort of level will take a gamble on him given he's more talented than most at that level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm confused as I thought the PFA took care of things like this. £3000 is peanuts  to them and it is clear that he needs help with his mental health problems. 
  • Options
    I'm confused as I thought the PFA took care of things like this. £3000 is peanuts  to them and it is clear that he needs help with his mental health problems. 
    Do we know he has seemed any help for his issues? I have a lot of sympathy for anyone going through mental health issues but at the same time you have to want to get better and that starts with seeking help. 
  • Options
    One of his ex Peterboro colleagues Michael Doughty has donated £1000.
  • Options
    I noticed that there seemed to be very little contribution from Charlton players (Inniss was the only one)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    cafctom said:
    I noticed that there seemed to be very little contribution from Charlton players (Inniss was the only one)
    Pratley too if you include ex-Charlton.
  • Options
    Has Bowyer contributed anything yet?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Has Bowyer contributed anything yet?
    Only the 250k his 8 games cost us..... 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm not convinced the £3k is for an operation. Who's to say the money wont be spent on something else (I'll leave you to answer what).

He is his own worst enemy. 
    As are most addicts and people on a downward spiral. It’s just as well some of them get saved by people who actually do give a sh1t. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Pratley too if you include ex-Charlton.
    I see a J Williams on there too, were they ever in the same team or had Jonny moved on already? Could just be coincidence.

I think there’s a sense there that he thought if everyone who followed him chipped in £1 he’d be there in no time. And the slow progress (£1k donation aside) has probably been a bit of a shock too. Hope he gets the help he needs mental health wise, not just the operation.
  • Options
    Another Northern signing that failed down at Charlton. 

Struggle to connect with MM. Hopefully he gets his £3k for an operation, else might need to reconsider being a professional robot again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has now raised 2.6k/3k
  • Options
    this is exactly the type of scenario where the PFA need to step in.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm flabbergasted that you could play professional football for so many years and not have 3 grand in the bank
    This campaign doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t have it in the bank though.
  • Options
    Hugely! Perhaps I should have said 'recent'. 

A meniscus tear removal is usually quite a standard procedure, so following the op he should be good to go!

In terms of the support/aftercare, I hope Marcus is spending his time away from the game to learn about the role of nutrition in your path to full recovery. 
  • Options
    Is PFA membership compulsory or voluntary for footballers? If it's the latter, then you may find your answer there. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Hugely! Perhaps I should have said 'recent'. 

A meniscus tear removal is usually quite a standard procedure, so following the op he should be good to go!

In terms of the support/aftercare, I hope Marcus is spending his time away from the game to learn about the role of nutrition in your path to full recovery. 
    Hmm. I suspect he won’t be doing that…..
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Chunes said:
    I'm flabbergasted that you could play professional football for so many years and not have 3 grand in the bank
    This campaign doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t have it in the bank though.
    If he has the money and he's still asking normal folk to donate to him, that would be pretty gross.