Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• Options
    There's people on this thread who either know MM or his ex and have said on several occasions that he has taken breaking up with his ex, who'd just had his kid, badly. Not suggesting he should have a free pass as everyone has something go wrong in their life at some point, but it does point to why he's perhaps distracted from football and failed to hold down a spot in any of the struggling teams he's joined since Posh. I think his manager at Bolton has handled this better than Bows would have and I hope the support is there for him to sort himself out, even if that means stopping playing. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    There's people on this thread who either know MM or his ex and have said on several occasions that he has taken breaking up with his ex, who'd just had his kid, badly. Not suggesting he should have a free pass as everyone has something go wrong in their life at some point, but it does point to why he's perhaps distracted from football and failed to hold down a spot in any of the struggling teams he's joined since Posh. I think his manager at Bolton has handled this better than Bows would have and I hope the support is there for him to sort himself out, even if that means stopping playing. 
    I believe it's me you're referring to. I don't think what you said is to blame as he seems to have a great relationship with his kid and a civil one with his ex, they also broke up prior to his last season at posh where he was doing really well. Having worked with him, I believe he's just lost the hunger for the game and is a victim of his own attitude. Can see him retiring soon to pursue tattooing/gaming.  
  • Options
    It does seem strange to me that he's failed to make the most of his talent in recent years. Who knows what the real reason is?
    It's not that long, he was still doing the business for Posh up to around December 2019 when he seemed to be distracted by getting a move

This is an interesting point because he was, undoubtedly, contributing every season for the six that he was there. But this is the only club that he has ever really been accepted at. This goes right back to his time at Newcastle where Willie Donnachie said that "he had a lot to learn".

Maddison clearly felt comfortable at Peterborough and they were relatively "happy" with him. But here's the thing. That influence and his availability began to wane over time - in his final full season he actually only started 31 games. Perhaps Peterborough and their Manager, Darren Ferguson, specifically, came to the conclusion that his occasional bit of brilliance but lack of overall effort was actually undermining the team ethos and the overall success of the side. We know that Maddison wouldn't sign another contract but how hard and how early did Peterborough try to keep him?

This is what their Chairman said:

MacAnthony often praised and defended Maddison on Twitter, but the whole process appears to have harmed what seemed to be a close relationship. MacAnthony said: ‘I’m just glad the saga is over. I was getting fed up of being seen as a one-man team. The atmosphere around the camp is now excellent, and I won’t talk about Marcus again. Good luck to him and Hull City, but I couldn’t care less anymore.’

My head was like a volcano when I heard he wanted paying to leave,’ he added.

‘I am a temperamental person, and after all I’d done for him that really annoyed me.’

‘Marcus can be high maintenance, and I then became determined we got some money for him.’

‘He wasn’t going to be allowed to leave for nothing as he had suggested he would as he thought he would then get the contract he wanted.’

Peterborough, in Maddison's five full seasons, finished 9th, 13th, 11th, 9th and 7th. Last season, at the curtailment, they were 6th but it was the run and the 22 points that they picked up from the 10 games after Maddison left that got them into that position (achieved 33 points previously from the 23 games with him in the side). Had the season not ended prematurely I have no doubt that they would comfortably have made the play offs. This season they are now favourites to win the division and will go top if they draw just one of their two games in hand.

So I suppose I am saying is this. That Maddison is what used to be known as the "luxury" player and that few teams at any level have one of those now, In fact, reinforcing my original thoughts on the folly of LB signing him, this is what a journalist from Peterborough wrote on how he thought that he would fit in our side following our match:

On last night’s showing I don’t think non-tackling former Posh star Marcus Maddison could have joined a club less suited to his style of play.

Maddison clearly needs to feel valued in order to do his best. And by valued I mean he needs adulation. If he doesn't get that he doesn't turn up mentally or even physically at times. 
    No one else can help him break that cycle. If he needs help doing so all he has to do is pick up that phone to the PFA and they have therapists on tap that can do so. The move has to come from him though.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    rananegra said:
    I believe it's me you're referring to. I don't think what you said is to blame as he seems to have a great relationship with his kid and a civil one with his ex, they also broke up prior to his last season at posh where he was doing really well. Having worked with him, I believe he's just lost the hunger for the game and is a victim of his own attitude. Can see him retiring soon to pursue tattooing/gaming.  
    Can I also add that he is very much a loner and never seemed to mix with his team mates.
  • Options
    Amazing how many people seem to know the state of mind of Maddison.

The bloke just maybe an obnoxious, self centred prick. Everything I've seen about him in the past twelve months would appear to support that synopsis.

Shame really, as he's very talented. 
  • Options
    Is that not a sackable offense, if so could we do that as he is contracted to us.
    He is working for Bolton...what a silly thing to say..
    Don’t bother with him addick1956........the blokes a wind-up!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Is that not a sackable offense, if so could we do that as he is contracted to us.
    Okay mate, thought it was quite a relevant question 
  • Options
    Don’t bother with him addick1956........the blokes a wind-up!
    Why is that?
  • Options
    It does seem strange to me that he's failed to make the most of his talent in recent years. Who knows what the real reason is?
    A bad attitude recently.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The thing with Maddison is you have to look at why he stayed at Peterborough for so long.  There must have been championship scouts at almost every game he played, even if they weren't looking at him.

Look at the players they sold upwards on that time.  Then look at some of the players we have sold to championship clubs, when we have been in league 1.  Like Fox and Williams.  They were producing eye catching displays.

There is a reason no one took the punt.  It certainly wasn't ability or end product. 
    Why do you...Matt Le Tissier stayed st Southampton all his career because  he wanted to. 
    Perhaps he stayed because  he was happy.

This last year he has been living in different hotels or apartments in  3 locations.  On his own.  In lockdown.  You try it .
    Comparing Matt Le Tissier, playing in the top flight before the difference in money was as big, to Maddison who would have been set for life with one move to "big school" is a bit far fetched.

What's the lock down you mention?  Must have passed me by, I have obviously hardly left my home for a year out of choice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Addickted said:

The bloke just maybe an obnoxious, self centred prick. Everything I've seen about him in the past twelve months would appear to support that synopsis.

You call people out for ‘knowing the state of mind’ of him. And then in the same post state he appears an obnoxious self centred prick.

You can’t have it both ways.

If you can call him out as that without knowing him personally, then stands to reason someone may make suggestions about his mental health.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

You call people out for ‘knowing the state of mind’ of him. And then in the same post state he appears an obnoxious self centred prick.

You can’t have it both ways.

If you can call him out as that without knowing him personally, then stands to reason someone may make suggestions about his mental health.
    No, I said he 'just maybe' and from what I've seen this thread seems 'appears' to support this view.

Just as valid a comment as blaming this on his mental health.

Either opinion might be correct.

• Options
    I just hope the guy sorts himself out - if he's lost interest in football then time to make a fresh start. Hopefully he'll get back on track at Bolton.
  • Options
    My view has been cut the guy some slack re tattoos and eating a pizza but how can he miss a game through over sleeping, that cannot be defended!!! I hate these 9am kick offs!!!  
    There seem to be certain people in life who are self-destructive and don't always reach their potential. You find them in every sport and they invariably have an attitude problem - some of them still have decent careers despite this but invariably they are hard to manage.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    My view has been cut the guy some slack re tattoos and eating a pizza but how can he miss a game through over sleeping, that cannot be defended!!! I hate these 9am kick offs!!!  
    There seem to be certain people in life who are self-destructive and don't always reach their potential. You find them in every sport and they invariably have an attitude problem - some of them still have decent careers despite this but invariably they are hard to manage.

Not just sport, I have had my own business's for the last 30 years and employed my fair share of talented people who for some reason or another could not give a shit and end up with me sacking them.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Not just sport, I have had my own business's for the last 30 years and employed my fair share of talented people who for some reason or another could not give a shit and end up with me sacking them.
    I think some people find things easy and don't make much effort whereas those who have to work at it often have a better attitude. A lot of flair players in sport can be unreliable and sometimes you're better off with a team of journeyman who pull together.

• Options
    No sign of him today, not starting or on the bench, looks like another lay in.
    Or smashing his way through tinder.
  • Options
    Waiting for the CL meltdown over his latest inking 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    So that'll be 50 minutes played in five games. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Wow that is amazing. 

(Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but it is satisfying).
  • Options
    Tinder Name-Magic Marcus Maddision.

BIO- Wanna see my magic Johnson.

• Options
    Tinder Name-Magic Marcus Maddision.

BIO- Wanna see my magic Johnson.

No no that bio belongs to Adam Johnson
  • Options
    You just can’t beat that inbred redneck barnet look...magic