Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

edited August 2023 in General Charlton
Rightfully pointed out, it's not a transfer rumour.  So. Is he "all that"?   Would you want him? 

Comments

• edited September 2020
    I don’t want him, but I’d definitely take him. If you know what I mean. 

Give him a 12 month deal and see how it goes. If worst come to worst we could release him. 
  • edited September 2020
    There is a question mark over him - no doubting his ability, but that isn’t enough.  Nobody else seems to want him - there is a reason for that. Bit like Ravel Morrison and maybe even Tony Wall really. No doubt they are good players , but their heads aren’t right. They are in danger of wasting what they have.

Too much of a risk. 
  • I feel like Maddison is one of those players who you love when he's on your team but think he's a total prick when he's playing against you.

Heard all the rumours about him having a bad attitude but if Peterborough thought he was that bad, why did they offer him a new deal?

Also (and this isn't meant as a dig at Peterborough) we're a bigger club than them. I can see why he thought he was the main man at Peterborough, but he'd surely be less likely to act like billy big bollocks around internationals like Williams and respected pros like Watson and Pratley who've played in the Premier league.
  • Nobody else seems interested in him. That suggests something.

The first couple of paragraphs of this article are quite telling - https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/fergie-wouldnt-swap-his-squad-anyone-elses-he-prepares-weirdest-all-seasons-2967532

The reference to a "focussed Marcus Maddison" suggests that there's also anon-focussed version for managers to deal with a lot of the time.

No thanks. However, I trust Bowyer and Gallen, so if they went for him then I'd trust their judgement. But I don't think they will.
  • Madison got a bad rap because the Peterborough chairman, annoyed at getting no fee for him slagged him off and because Southall spread rumours he didn't want to come to us because of wages/traffic and other bullshit when all along we were under an embargo.

He has assists and goals galore at this level, our side is crying out for more quality.  He is a free agent.  

If we could get him, we should.

• This was an interesting/worrying post. Hope he’s ok.

• If Bowyer thought he could get the right attitude out of him then I'd take him in a heartbeat. Recall when they met in January that Maddison was happy with what he heard from Bowyer, but he didn't want the London move. 

Not exactly the same but we're no stranger to taking on players that other managers have frozen out for their attitudes in McGeady and possibly Hemed, although the less said about their impact the better
  • se9addick said:
    This was an interesting/worrying post. Hope he’s ok.

Hopefully it can be a bit of a wake up call for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Madison got a bad rap because the Peterborough chairman, annoyed at getting no fee for him slagged him off and because Southall spread rumours he didn't want to come to us because of wages/traffic and other bullshit when all along we were under an embargo.

He has assists and goals galore at this level, our side is crying out for more quality.  He is a free agent.  

Have meant to ask this before but woas MacAnthony complicit in Southall's conning of our fanbase or just mugged off like the rest of us?  Have always liked him so hoping the latter but he is a very shrewd cookie so potentially the former?

• I’ve always been a Curbs rather than a Redknapp.

Individuals can win you games but can also destroy squads. Getting the right character and blend into a squad is vital and this bloke always give the impression he’s a wrong un.  

Individuals win you matches, teams win you championships.

• edited September 2020
    Personally not a fan of his attitude, but at 27 I think one last chance could rescue his career.

#letsdothis
  • edited September 2020
    I’ve always been a Curbs rather than a Redknapp.

Individuals can win you games but can also destroy squads. Getting the right character and blend into a squad is vital and this bloke always give the impression he’s a wrong un.  
     Curbs used to invite them to the Valley and show them videos of what we as a club was all about.
    It was imperative that they bought into the Charlton way. It did take a certain type of player to get it.

The Charlton way has gone a bit scew wiff
    In recent years. Hopefully TS can help us to get it back

Have meant to ask this before but woas MacAnthony complicit in Southall's conning of our fanbase or just mugged off like the rest of us?  Have always liked him so hoping the latter but he is a very shrewd cookie so potentially the former?

He claimed later that he'd just met with a friend over a coffee to discuss some possible transfers and had no idea what was going on iirc
  • There is a question mark over him - no doubting his ability, but that isn’t enough.  Nobody else seems to want him - there is a reason for that. Bit like Ravel Morrison and maybe even Tony Wall really. No doubt they are good players , but their heads aren’t right. They are in danger of wasting what they have.

Too much of a risk. 
    I'm sure there is interest in him.

I imagine there are a number of free agents out there, and while they'll be playing off clubs against each other - " a Championship club has offered me an extra £2k" - clubs will also be playing free agents off each other - "we have another option at Right Back, who's prepared to accept £2.5k a week, plus one who'd be happy with £3.5k, yet you want £5k"

This year is a brutal time to be a free agent though. With the government removing spectator income again, many clubs won't be spending in the next 2 weeks, and indeed may need to sell
  • se9addick said:
    This was an interesting/worrying post. Hope he’s ok.

Easy to forget these players are not just commodities but young blokes with shit going on in their heads and lives like the rest of us.
    Actually looking through his IG it seems he’s pretty down, lots of answering back to fans slagging him off & telling people they don’t know the whole story etc. 

I reckon he might be desperate enough to sign for us!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Personally not a fan of his attitude, but at 27 I think one last chance cod rescue his career.

#letsdothis
    Can we stop with the fish puns please. 
  • edited September 2020
    I’ve always been a Curbs rather than a Redknapp.

Individuals win you matches, teams win you championships.

Seeing as you've got to win matches to win anything then its best you sign players who are going to win you matches........if that means you need to sign the odd "character" then I'm all for it or shall we just have a team full of Lapslie's and Solly's. 

And btw......we aren't currently winning matches so something has to change  !!

PS. Di Canio was a bit of a maverick & if Killer was player nowdays he would still be playing for Dartford. Can't imagine Killer chasing back or defending a corner.
  • Yann Kermongant
  • Yann Kermongant
    Paul Bacon.  Sorry I just thought we were naming random players now :blush:
  • Quality league one player,
    If Bowyers wants him and he did in January then I’d take him in a heartbeat 
  • Bloody hell are we know comparing Marcus to Paulo?

You know the one that has played 7 games above league 1 and one who had played 100s for lazio, AC Milan, Juventus, Celtic (when like Rangers they were creative with wages) Wednesday and West ham (all in the prem)?? 
  • Bubble said:
    Quality league one player,
    If Bowyers wants him and he did in January then I’d take him in a heartbeat 
    If he is this "quality league one player" why hasn't anyone else ever taken him?  Last August he was 25, going into the last 12 months of his contract.  I would expect a lot of championship clubs being "intrested" hardly a bun fight was it?

Not even enough for Peterborough to tie him down. 
  • Spoke to someone close to Peterborough United and he was absolutely hated in the dressing room there . Not saying he can’t change but I’d steer we’ll clear of him personally.