Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    It's certainly a very confusing time to be a Charlton fan. This Gilbey signing looks like exactly the kind of deal you would want to get over the line, seeing as he was player of the year for a L1 side. We'd be happy with that in the Championship. I wouldn't be massively surprised though if money was being offered and deals being worked out by an ownership that can't actually sign players though; let's not forget that Southall carried out a whole performance of signing Maddison despite knowing full well it wasn't going to happen. It could also be that in order to deflect some fan anger they're chucking the entirety of our saved budget at one eye-catching signing. Get the fans off their backs and then don't actually invest in a full squad. Or it could be that these owners are just legit and we've been wrong this whole time. It's very Charlton that that third one's the least likely of all these possible realities.
    Just a thought but might that have actually been possible as the cost would have been covered by not having to pay Leko and Gallagher's wages?

haven't checked the timings so could be rubbish......
    My understanding of the registration embargo was that we were allowed to replace players who left with players of equivalent cost, hence all our signings being loans replacing loans and Bowyer saying we were reliant on favours, presumably to fit within that wage structure. The talk around Maddison was of a £2m+ fee permanent signing, which was not possible for us. It was all bullshit
    Would love to know who exactly knew the embargo was in place at that time. Was it just Southall (and Amis)? Or did Nimer, Gallen and Bowyer also know, but kept quiet because Southall convinced them it was better to keep it to themselves (spun them another lie in other words)? 
    I think the Maddison signing was dependent on Taylor going in Jan. Had he gone I THINK we could have signed Maddison as he would have been a like for like replacement in terms of fees and wages. That said, I’m sure Mouthall and Nemo would have wanted to pocket that cash - so what the hell do I know...
  • Options
    The midfield could be pretty strong for League One next season anyway.
    Need more goalscorers in there, JFC is the only one in there you could see getting 5-10 if he plays regularly.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The midfield could be pretty strong for League One next season anyway.
    Need more goalscorers in there, JFC is the only one in there you could see getting 5-10 if he plays regularly.
    Oztumer would get something like that if he played regularly. 
  • Options
    Yeah forgot about him, though with Williams staying I’d expect him to be a squad player.
  • Options
    Maybe we are?...
  • Options
    Surprised we aren’t in for Scott Fraser too
    That would be a fantastic addition , think he's probably got championship interest though. 
  • Options
    IF we are signing players for cash (or even on the never never) there must be a lot of good going on behind the scenes at CAFC that us hoi polloi are not privy to .. else why would players be interested in coming here and probably more important, why would their agents let it happen ?
    AND, who is still paying the bills when there is zero income ?
    I doubt players are worried who is paying the bills and as it stands there has not been an occasion where players have not been paid. When it comes to administration they are football creditors and top of the list to be paid out plus the PFA would step in and help them out. I certainly wouldn't take it as a sign that 'there must be a lot of good things going on behind the scenes'. Start thinking like that and you'll be sucked in again to believing Elliott and Farnell are lovely chaps, love Charlton and all is good with the world.

At a minimum to keep Bowyer they must have agreed to at least assemble a squad capable of competing in League One. Whether we can remains to be seen.
    Probably a sign that we’re about to announce a sale. 
  • Options
    An independent estate agent from Oxfordshire?
  • Options
    It's certainly a very confusing time to be a Charlton fan. This Gilbey signing looks like exactly the kind of deal you would want to get over the line, seeing as he was player of the year for a L1 side. We'd be happy with that in the Championship. I wouldn't be massively surprised though if money was being offered and deals being worked out by an ownership that can't actually sign players though; let's not forget that Southall carried out a whole performance of signing Maddison despite knowing full well it wasn't going to happen. It could also be that in order to deflect some fan anger they're chucking the entirety of our saved budget at one eye-catching signing. Get the fans off their backs and then don't actually invest in a full squad. Or it could be that these owners are just legit and we've been wrong this whole time. It's very Charlton that that third one's the least likely of all these possible realities.
    Just a thought but might that have actually been possible as the cost would have been covered by not having to pay Leko and Gallagher's wages?

My understanding of the registration embargo was that we were allowed to replace players who left with players of equivalent cost, hence all our signings being loans replacing loans and Bowyer saying we were reliant on favours, presumably to fit within that wage structure. The talk around Maddison was of a £2m+ fee permanent signing, which was not possible for us. It was all bullshit
    Would love to know who exactly knew the embargo was in place at that time. Was it just Southall (and Amis)? Or did Nimer, Gallen and Bowyer also know, but kept quiet because Southall convinced them it was better to keep it to themselves (spun them another lie in other words)? 
    I think the Maddison signing was dependent on Taylor going in Jan. Had he gone I THINK we could have signed Maddison as he would have been a like for like replacement in terms of fees and wages. That said, I’m sure Mouthall and Nemo would have wanted to pocket that cash - so what the hell do I know...
    4 mil for Taylor, 2 mil spent on Maddison. They could still have pocket at least 1-1.5 out of it. I can't actually work out why they didn't sell Taylor in January. If I'm honest, it was actually stupid not too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

4 mil for Taylor, 2 mil spent on Maddison. They could still have pocket at least 1-1.5 out of it. I can't actually work out why they didn't sell Taylor in January. If I'm honest, it was actually stupid not too. 
    Didnt want fans on their backs from the get go... Wanted to continue the illusion of being on the fans side whilst quietly doing whatever they were doing in the background
  • Options
    Maddison is without a club. Wonder if we'll go back in for him? 
  • Options
    Hope not.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Hope not.
    Hate to make comparisons, but Bowyer, like Seed, is big on team spirit and team unity, over individuals who might disrupt that. 
    So I don't expect Maddison will be on the radar, and I have my doubts that he ever was.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    redbuttle said:
    Hope not.
    Hate to make comparisons, but Bowyer, like Seed, is big on team spirit and team unity, over individuals who might disrupt that. 
    So I don't expect Maddison will be on the radar, and I have my doubts that he ever was.
    Maddison was a Southall move to make it look like we was ready to spend. Must have made Bowyer feel like a right twat sending him to Peterborough to ''talk'' with him
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    chev said:
    What sort of non committal response is that? He's such a knob.
    Redundant Dicko
  • Options

It's Darragh MacAnthony I've always been interested in on that one. Him and Southall are supposedly mates, and he posted a picture of them meeting up, apparently to discuss signing Toney initially. Once the news about the embargo came out then either MacAnthony will have realised he was played for a fool and had his time wasted, or he will have been in on this bit of silliness with Southall which is a prime dick move. Not like MacAnthony to stay quiet about anything at all either so I'm really intrigued to know what really happened there.
  • Options
    Would be class, so would Ben Whiteman as mentioned a few posts back, still remember him making things tick for Donny at the valley. If we had those we would easily have one of the best midfields in the league
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's Darragh MacAnthony I've always been interested in on that one. Him and Southall are supposedly mates, and he posted a picture of them meeting up, apparently to discuss signing Toney initially. Once the news about the embargo came out then either MacAnthony will have realised he was played for a fool and had his time wasted, or he will have been in on this bit of silliness with Southall which is a prime dick move. Not like MacAnthony to stay quiet about anything at all either so I'm really intrigued to know what really happened there.
    DM was questioned about this on Twitter and I'm sure he said Southall was just an "acquaintance"
  • Options
    Barnsley and Sunderland linked with him. 

If we are raiding MKD what about Hatem Boateng? 
  • Options

That's not the case at all, Darren MacAnthony would have mentioned that in his summing up afterwards.  We did go back with a restructured deal which McAnthony refused - more to do with meeting Maddison's wages.

All in all it was a pathetic negotiation as Hull got him for a loan fee and paying full wages.  I suspect we wouldn't even have been able to sign him on a similar deal as there was no spare cash to pay a loan fee.  Bowyer was never looking to sell Taylor unless they got Toney.  Bowyer was well aware that MacAnthony would not sell Toney at a price Charlton could afford.  
  • Options
    Makes you wonder if it was all just a bit of a stunt, get Madison off the books and out of the club by saying there’s other clubs interested.

Gives Mouthall kudos by showing some ambition, all of a bit of a joke really, and shows how we can be manipulated and have the wool pulled over our eyes.
  • Options
    Heard Maddison is off to Sunderland, wouldn't fit in at Charlton anyway. Right prick 
  • Options

Darragh did an excellent interview on the Maddison situation on his YouTube channel really honest and blunt, was a must watch basically said we made a good offer but MM wanted crazy money for somebody who never played outside of L1 - was right too as he did nothing for Hull
  • Options
    Would be class, so would Ben Whiteman as mentioned a few posts back, still remember him making things tick for Donny at the valley. If we had those we would easily have one of the best midfields in the league
    Do we need any more midfielders in addition to Gilbey? Other areas are probably more of a priority, now that Williams, JFC and Morgan have agreed to stay on alongside Lapslie, Pratley and Oztumer
  • Options
    Do we need any more midfielders in addition to Gilbey? Other areas are probably more of a priority, now that Williams, JFC and Morgan have agreed to stay on alongside Lapslie, Pratley and Oztumer
    Don't know enough about Gilbey to know if he could fit the mould but based on how we played last season we'd need to replace Field
  • Options
    We need defenders, somebody to replace Sarr and probably Lockyer, plus the way we play we need attacking fullbacks. Hopefully a goalscorer as well.
  • Options
    Rejected by the EFL.