Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    He played as the number 10 last night. As it usually is, his dribbling and running was good. But he didn’t ever look like scoring or creating anything which is what we need from that role. Hope it was his last game for us 
  • Options
    With his limitations he needs to be a regular goal threat to be in this team. Gilbey has the potential to score goals but I think that’s also the case for others in this squad. Fraser and CBT scoring simple finishes is a good start.
  • Options
    You don’t get rid of players like Gilbey if you want promotion , you keep your squad strong .

JFC is a different case because of his injuries and the fact he unlikely to get the game time to prove his fitness with us .. but you would not need to replace JFC but you would Gilbey 
    You do if there’s interest in Gilbey but not JFC and we need to free up wages to bring in someone for another position.
  • Options
    I'd rather keep JFC - he has better quality and can pick a pass.  Wanted rid of Gilbey since he ruined my Saturday last season getting that ridiculous 2nd yellow against whoever it was. Have not forgiven him.  I think JFC could be useful as cover for Dobson and also MAYBE LB 
  • Options
    You don’t get rid of players like Gilbey if you want promotion , you keep your squad strong .

JFC is a different case because of his injuries and the fact he unlikely to get the game time to prove his fitness with us .. but you would not need to replace JFC but you would Gilbey 
    Based off last night, i'd rather give Henry gametime than Gilbey. That puts Gilbey as about 7th choice in midfield
  • Options
    Scoham said:

You do if there’s interest in Gilbey but not JFC and we need to free up wages to bring in someone for another position.
    Do we?  I would have assumed we would have budgeted to have a full squad.  We might want to then free up a space/wages.  But I don't think 1 or 2 more coming in is dependent on anyone leaving.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Do we?  I would have assumed we would have budgeted to have a full squad.  We might want to then free up a space/wages.  But I don't think 1 or 2 more coming in is dependent on anyone leaving.
    That’s why I said if.
  • Options
    Defended him a lot and have finally seen the legend in the flesh.

Work rate is great, gets about but there's a definite lack of ability for how we want to play, doesn't have the close control, vision or passing range to fit into the midfield, however... The running would be worthwhile for seeing games out etc. Not sure between him and JFC for who to keep and lose, Mcgrandles probably makes gilbey the easier to lose but, if he ends up having fitness issues then maybe keep Gilberto for the "energetic workhorse" role. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Based off last night, i'd rather give Henry gametime than Gilbey. That puts Gilbey as about 7th choice in midfield
    Being the teeniest bit charitable, they don't play the same role. 

Gilbey only has Payne, Morgan, Fraser and McGrandles to get past 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

That’s why I said if.
    Sorry I thought the if referred to the choice between one or tother if there was only interest in 1.
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    I'd rather keep JFC - he has better quality and can pick a pass.  Wanted rid of Gilbey since he ruined my Saturday last season getting that ridiculous 2nd yellow against whoever it was. Have not forgiven him.  I think JFC could be useful as cover for Dobson and also MAYBE LB 
    You have a low threshold for pain. I think Mills red for a starters worse. He simply got off to avoid the Christmas fixtures. 
    Although someone suggested on here that Gilbey wanted to be suspended for the AFC Dons match given his MK history. No idea if true but they were two v stupid bookings.
  • Options
    Get rid of both Gilbey and JFC, neither are worth keeping.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Gilbey can't even put a corner in. He can't threaten from the corner. He can't defend for us from the corner.

He showcased his attacking play when he had two defenders to beat from 50 yards (hard task) or hold the ball up, lift head up and spot something. He decided to take the defender on and dive, then do that shocked look thing. 

Not impressed at all.
  • Options
    'The Addicks are understood to have a recall option in the January transfer window'. Yeah, we'll get right on that..
    Seriously though I liked Gilbey and wanted him to do well. Seemed like exactly the kind of player who could do well in a Bowyer team and then just didn't. Looked a little less shellshocked under Adkins until he didn't, looked ok under Jackson very briefly until he didn't and by then I think we'd all given up. I hope he does well at Stevenage.
  • Options
    Thought he'd do better than Stevenage...
  • Options
    Find it quite refreshing tbh that a guy with a young family seems on the face of it to have chosen a club that works better for his family set up than one that would have but at a slightly higher level but disruptive outside of football. 
    To me it shows a lack of desire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to him.

A lot of us wanted a clear out of most of last season's squad, and Gilbey is now a part of that. Can't say he'll be remembered for much in a Charlton shirt but equally not the worst to have put the shirt on either.
  • Options
    Good luck to him. Was probably a player in there somewhere but it was never going to surface here. Really think his first season injury and COVID wrecked him and he never got going for us.
  • Options
    Find it quite refreshing tbh that a guy with a young family seems on the face of it to have chosen a club that works better for his family set up than one that would have but at a slightly higher level but disruptive outside of football. 
    Totally agree. Should have stayed and fought for his place rather than going somewhere convenient for his home life.
  • Options
    Same.

Any other profession you'd consider a work/life balance, why not football?

• Options
    Totally agree. Should have stayed and fought for his place rather than going somewhere convenient for his home life.
    Was more thinking he could have stayed in the division by going to Lincoln and proved us wrong. Whatever he does in the basement division won't do that.
  • Options

Looks like we aren’t getting promoted then.
  • Options
    Was more thinking he could have stayed in the division by going to Lincoln and proved us wrong. Whatever he does in the basement division won't do that.
    That as well. Footballers careers are short ones and this move seems a bit of easy way out. No doubt on the same wages with us picking up the majority of them.
  • Options
    He will be on his league 1 wage anyway won't he?  Maybe he backs himself to earn a move to somewhere else in January? 

That's the opposite of lack of desire in the same scenario. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Personally my motivation would be playing for a club I like close to home over one further away just to prove a point to a club I'm out of contract at come the end of the season anyway.

He'll get paid the same either way presumably as it's a loan.

The only motivation to choose Lincoln over Stevenage would be if he thought he'd be more likely to get another L1 contract next season by doing so, and maybe he thinks do well at Stevenage and he can do that anyway?  He's seen a load of L2 players arrive at a L1 club this summer after all.