Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    do you think that polo shirt and scarfy got washed between Gilbey & Washington's photo calls?
    funds for transfers and wages apparently but not so much any other budget
  • Options
    Great. A striker who has previously done well in League One. Decent start to the signings, though it might also be the end knowing us
  • Options
    An international.

Oh Lord. The first International call-up and he will go off, get injured and be out for 3 months no doubt :-) 
  • Options
    Callum where's the video FFS?
  • Options
    Get a decent pen lads :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting that Bowyer and Gallen said we wanted him last summer but couldn't get it over the line.
    Maybe that's why we ended up being stuck with Hemed
  • Options
    Welcome Connor and good luck. 

Another one I don’t know much about, if truth be told, but he has decent experience. Hopefully he can stay clear of injuries and strike up a good partnership with Bonne. 15+ goals each could well put us on the right path towards a decent season. Need to get the defence pulled together now. 

• Options
    Always good to check which league he’s spent most of his career in. Five seasons in the Championship vs. three seasons in League One tells you his level is probably anything from mid table Championship to L1 title challengers.

He’ll definitely be good for 15+ goals a season if he can stay fit.
    Not sure he’ll definitely be good for that. He never scored that at Peterborough, a team who notoriously score a lot of goals too. I think he’ll score 10 which is ok if 2 others score 10-15 too 
  • Options
    I don’t know what it is.......

international striker for one of the smaller home nations, never scored a hatful of goals, works hard, played for some decent clubs, feels like he’s been around for ages, hasn’t been a regular starter of late.

makes me think of Simon Church
  • Options
    Great news, but I thought we were still subject to a transfer ban? Does anyone know the position on that?
  • Options
    The problem with the salary cap is it leaves no incentive for players to stay at their current club. I understand the purpose with it but unless it's replicated up the league it won't work. 

If you are a League 1 player on 2k a week and a Championship club offers you 6k to go sit on their bench you're going to go. I appreciate that was the case anyway but all I think it's going to do is widen the gap between the top 2 leagues and the bottom 2. It gives the smaller clubs a better chance of getting to the Championship. but staying there will be more difficult.
  • Options
    The problem with the salary cap is it leaves no incentive for players to stay at their current club. I understand the purpose with it but unless it's replicated up the league it won't work. 

If you are a League 1 player on 2k a week and a Championship club offers you 6k to go sit on their bench you're going to go. I appreciate that was the case anyway but all I think it's going to do is widen the gap between the top 2 leagues and the bottom 2. It gives the smaller clubs a better chance of getting to the Championship. but staying there will be more difficult.
    Also going to be harder to convince kids to go on loan @ League One / League Two clubs if clubs dont contribute to wages

Already Premier League teams are demanding "loan fees"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020

Part of me thinks the club should just ignore the salary cap, I doubt we would have voted for it and the rest of the league's big clubs like Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Peterborough certainly didn't vote for it yet clubs like Rochdale and Accrington Stanley have been allowed to dictate terms to the rest of the league, the same happened when they all voted to end the season early.

Salary caps should be a percentage of income not a fixed rate just so the likes of Accrington and Rochdale can compete with and actually offer better value wages than us (based on the cost of living in London) or should be optional for those teams who want the cap.
  • Options

international striker for one of the smaller home nations, never scored a hatful of goals, works hard, played for some decent clubs, feels like he’s been around for ages, hasn’t been a regular starter of late.

On that basis, it makes me think of Josh Magennis.  (Comes out in cold sweat even though it's still nearly 32 degrees).
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Jac_52 said:
    Loving the creepy background pose from Bowyer in these signings as well, its like they're both in the pub!!

Conor: 'Ere Olly, that weird bloke in the blue shirt, is he still watching us? - Jeez whats his problem

Imagine the look Dave Jones would be giving over his shoulder...actually Washington is too old. 

• Options
    edited August 2020

On that basis, it makes me think of Josh Magennis.  (Comes out in cold sweat even though it's still nearly 32 degrees).
    You must have been suffering with frost bite then mate watching Hemed ❄️😉
  • Options
    Maybe our next signing should be somebody who can get our players to manage 90 minutes like those of other teams. The quality is already there for the league we are in.
  • Options
    All we need is someone to pass the EFL tests and put a little bit into the club and we could be competitive. Fingers and toes crossed. Tomorrow would be good!
  • Options
    No idea what Conor is like as a player. Just pleased to get players in at the moment. Hopefully will be surprised and wonder how we got to sign him. Welcome to Charlton Conor.