Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    I remember when Johnny Williams came on for his first app at home to Sunderland and he had been fairly hyped up, how he'd come across well on STID and the first thing he did was try and go round somebody and ran the ball out of play, I and most people around me laughed, can't always expect perfection but it's the moments of brilliance that define a player in my books. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I don't like to be underwhelmed by signings - particularly in the current climate, as literally any player would strengthen our squad depth - but on the face of it, Washington does not seem technically proficient enough. Then again, I'm judging against the football I saw this season, which is a much better standard than League One.

He is one of the most one-footed footballers I have seen, judging by this video, with the exception of the penultimate goal (I think it's the only time he used his left foot!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxI1QxMqdt4

He has an instinct for movement in the box, and doesn't mind running at defenders, but a lack of game time in the last couple of seasons is a bit of a concern. I don't know how fit he is at the moment and I don't know how interested he is in the game. But in Bowyer and Gallen I trust, if this move is on the cards. I think the rumour has legs: we're a pretty specific club for the Daily Record to link him with given they're a Scottish paper.
    I don't give a toss if he has his left foot chopped off if he scored 15 goals with his right. 
    He's 28 and only scored 48 lifetime league goals. On that basis, we might have to wait three seasons for him to reach your target
    3 in 15 in the Scottish Prem last season. Last time Lyle Taylor played in the Scottish Prem he scored...

3 in 15
    Washington did score 12-13 a season when he was at Peterboro' so he might well be capable of doing that and possibly even more. We are not just gambling on that though. We are gambling on yet another player with a proven injury record.

As I have said previously, sadly that is the pond we are fishing in - we are in no position to be choosy 
    Since January 2014 we have brought in a constant stream of players not having played much over a period of time, it is not just now.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I don't like to be underwhelmed by signings - particularly in the current climate, as literally any player would strengthen our squad depth - but on the face of it, Washington does not seem technically proficient enough. Then again, I'm judging against the football I saw this season, which is a much better standard than League One.

He is one of the most one-footed footballers I have seen, judging by this video, with the exception of the penultimate goal (I think it's the only time he used his left foot!):

He has an instinct for movement in the box, and doesn't mind running at defenders, but a lack of game time in the last couple of seasons is a bit of a concern. I don't know how fit he is at the moment and I don't know how interested he is in the game. But in Bowyer and Gallen I trust, if this move is on the cards. I think the rumour has legs: we're a pretty specific club for the Daily Record to link him with given they're a Scottish paper.
    I don't give a toss if he has his left foot chopped off if he scored 15 goals with his right. 
    He's 28 and only scored 48 lifetime league goals. On that basis, we might have to wait three seasons for him to reach your target
    3 in 15 in the Scottish Prem last season. Last time Lyle Taylor played in the Scottish Prem he scored...

3 in 15
    Washington did score 12-13 a season when he was at Peterboro' so he might well be capable of doing that and possibly even more. We are not just gambling on that though. We are gambling on yet another player with a proven injury record.

As I have said previously, sadly that is the pond we are fishing in - we are in no position to be choosy 
    2014/2015 - 44 appearances in all competitions
    2015/2016 - 46
    2016/2017 - 43
    2017/2018 - 34
    2018/2019 - 22 (Did he just fail to get into a promotion winning Sheffield Utd's team?)
    2019/2020 - 21 (Out three months with a hamstring injury and season ended early because of Covid)

So I think you are wrong. I don't see anything in the above to suggest he has a proven injury record, he just happened to have an injury last season. Having one injury doesn't make you injury prone. 

I actually agree about the goals, my original comment was a joke about not using his left foot. That being said, I still think he's a decent signing at this level. 
    A summer 2019 signing, the 28-year-old’s Hearts ambitions were thwarted by a hamstring injury which kept him sidelined for more than three months and limited his appearances to just 22, with four goals, including one in that March win at Easter Road, a consolation effort at Celtic Park and two against Motherwell, one of them the winner in a League Cup tie.

He's played 9 hours of football since last August and hasn't kicked a ball for five months either. Wait 'til he has a pre-season with us and he'll soon be Charltonised!
  • Options
    Wiki, about Conor Washington - "After graduating school, he was turned down for an apprenticeship by both Norwich City and Peterborough United. He subsequently worked as a postman for the Royal Mail."

At long last - a successor to 'King' Arthur Horsfield. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Wiki, about Conor Washington - "After graduating school, he was turned down for an apprenticeship by both Norwich City and Peterborough United. He subsequently worked as a postman for the Royal Mail."

So he can deliver?
    boom boom ((:>)
  • Options
    Got an ok pedigree, as good as we can hope for in L1 really.  Look at the history of our signings since Gallen joined and there really have been so few fails, he is a miracle worker so if he wants Washington and feels he is the best in our price range then I am happy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

3 in 15

2015/2016 - 46
    2016/2017 - 43
    2017/2018 - 34
    2018/2019 - 22 (Did he just fail to get into a promotion winning Sheffield Utd's team?)
    2019/2020 - 21 (Out three months with a hamstring injury and season ended early because of Covid)

So I think you are wrong. I don't see anything in the above to suggest he has a proven injury record, he just happened to have an injury last season. Having one injury doesn't make you injury prone. 

I actually agree about the goals, my original comment was a joke about not using his left foot. That being said, I still think he's a decent signing at this level. 
    A summer 2019 signing, the 28-year-old’s Hearts ambitions were thwarted by a hamstring injury which kept him sidelined for more than three months and limited his appearances to just 22, with four goals, including one in that March win at Easter Road, a consolation effort at Celtic Park and two against Motherwell, one of them the winner in a League Cup tie.

He's played 9 hours of football since last August and hasn't kicked a ball for five months either. Wait 'til he has a pre-season with us and he'll soon be Charltonised!
    I'm not disputing that injury. But you said "we are gambling on yet another player with a proven injury record". Don't get me wrong, I appreciate we have signed some players with a terrible injury record, but I don't think it's fair to label Washington with that. 

He's had one injury, are you saying we can only sign players who have never been injured? Or did you just read about his one injury and come to the stupid conclusion he was prone to them?
  • Options
    He’s got a stamp of approval....
  • Options
    He’s got a stamp of approval....
    But does he pass the CL height test?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    He'll end up being more like Hermes and won't deliver 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

3 in 15

2015/2016 - 46
    2016/2017 - 43
    2017/2018 - 34

I'm not disputing that injury. But you said "we are gambling on yet another player with a proven injury record". Don't get me wrong, I appreciate we have signed some players with a terrible injury record, but I don't think it's fair to label Washington with that. 

He's had one injury, are you saying we can only sign players who have never been injured? Or did you just read about his one injury and come to the stupid conclusion he was prone to them?
    Apologies for the "stupid conclusion" but I think you'll find that I have said that we can't afford to be choosy. We don't even know where we are as a Club let alone anything else!

Should we survive then the likes of Washington is the sort of player we will be signing - someone who played 9 hours of football last season, has not kicked a ball in anger for five months and scored 10 goals in the last 3 seasons from 75 appearances i.e. an average of barely 3 goals from 25 appearances per season. That is his recent history. Not what he did 4 seasons ago.

So, again, I apologise for the
     "stupid conclusion" but  the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and I sincerely hopes that if he signs for us he gets us 20 plus goals and plays more than 40 games. I hope you will understand that I won't be putting any money on him doing so though!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So he can deliver?
    let's hope he's 1st class ...
    Hopefully he'll stamp his authority on games.
  • Options
    heard he's good at the far post ..
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    a non prolific 'striker' .. 243 game in EFL and Scotland, 48 goals((:<)
    That's 0.197 Goals per game, better than Yann when he joined

Yann before CAFC P185 GS 35 0.189 GPG

Looks like Washington has actually played 277, scoring 58 (0.209 GPG)

I would just like to point out that there is a former international striker of ours available who scored 49 career goals in 283 appearances. He was renowned for his clean striking of a football and even earned a Brazilian nickname such was the level of his skill. I'm sure we could persuade him to come out of retirement for much less than Washington is going to cost.

And yes I can't believe that he's still only 31 either. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I would just like to point out that there is a former international striker of ours available who scored 49 career goals in 283 appearances. He was renowned for his clean striking of a football and even earned a Brazilian nickname such was the level of his skill. I'm sure we could persuade him to come out of retirement for much less than Washington is going to cost.

Tucudeaniho?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Tucudeaniho?
    Close but no cigar. My man even scored 6 goals in 13 appearances in the SPL.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Simon Church is only 31? Blimey 
  • Options
    Mid table League 1 striker. Not what we need to get us promoted, which normally be our target in League 1, but next season (if it even happens fir us) is not going to be normal. Have to trust Gallen and Bowyer he’s the right fit for what we need/they want. We need probably 3 strikers so I would hope he won’t be the best one we sign. 
  • Options
    Simon Church is only 31? Blimey 
    And retired on medical grounds.
  • Options
    Spongefoot or Churchinho!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Should we be pushing the envelope to get this guy?
  • Options
    Flying

I know he is not Scottish but he is coming from Edinburgh to London and it fulfills almost all CL fetishist fantasies,