Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    I do struggle with those that criticise his goal scoring numbers. Sometimes playing up top is a lot more than just scoring goals. His work rate, pulling defenders out of position was great and only let down by our shithouse midfield being incapable of creating any opportunities. Conor most certainly wasn't the weak link in our team. Those who continue to judge a forward on his goal tally, I'm assuming you're too young to remember Carl Leaburn playing for us? His record looks appalling, but he caused a real headache for opposing defenders and we were a much worse team when he wasn't in it and I think the same will be said about Washington 
  • Options
    Can't believe he hasn't scored yet, he's been there long enough. I'm glad we got shot of him. 
  • Options
    I do struggle with those that criticise his goal scoring numbers. Sometimes playing up top is a lot more than just scoring goals. His work rate, pulling defenders out of position was great and only let down by our shithouse midfield being incapable of creating any opportunities. Conor most certainly wasn't the weak link in our team. Those who continue to judge a forward on his goal tally, I'm assuming you're too young to remember Carl Leaburn playing for us? His record looks appalling, but he caused a real headache for opposing defenders and we were a much worse team when he wasn't in it and I think the same will be said about Washington 
    What a joke, comparing Washington to Carl Leaburn. He's not fit to be mentioned in the same breath.
    His goalscoring record was not necessarily the problem it was the fact that he was often the one being given the goalscoring opportunity and more often than not he failed to take that opportunity.
    I, for one, am glad that I won't have to watch him fluff any more one-on-one chances in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    He had no assists either. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Started every match for a team that’s 5th in the Championship. 
  • Options
    give it give it a few months.  They are in the crest of a wave at present
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst his finishing wasn't always consistent, I liked him and think he would have done well under Garner. He is reasonably quick and a better fit to these tactics than hoofball. Given where we currently stand with strikers only a couple of days before the window closes, it looks like a poor decision to let him go. But that subject has been done to death.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    5 games, 1 goal, 0 assists. 

Subbed off every single game at the hour mark.

Seems about right. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Started every match for a team that’s 5th in the Championship. 
    And scored once. Richard Wood is out scoring him with 3!
  • Options
    Ogbene never played for us . Ajayi was only ever an unused sub and like Smith was seen as a good youngster who moved on. Ronnie Moore divided opinions. In my view he was a very good Centre Back for us as he was well into his 30’s when he signed. He only left because his wife wanted to move back north otherwise he would have been part of the 85/86 promotion team.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Seems about right. 
    Started all the games though, and Rotherham are amazingly unbeaten in 5th (Paul Warne must have learnt how to cope in the Championship at long last, he's had enough attempts), so must be doing something right to be picked each week.
  • Options
    Maybe he would have missed the same chances that Stockley has done so, mind?
  • Options

Seems about right. 
    Started all the games though, and Rotherham are amazingly unbeaten in 5th (Paul Warne must have learnt how to cope in the Championship at long last, he's had enough attempts), so must be doing something right to be picked each week.
    Having no impact on the scoresheet as a forward. 

Has the fitness for the whole match but always subbed off. 

Sounds like a 'trier' that has zero quality. Pretty much what he was like here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not convinced he’d have suited the lone striker role. He wasn’t effective there on the rare occasion he played that role, though I accept the current team is better at playing out from the back which would have helped him.

I’m am sure though that we’d definitely still be saying we need better to be promoted.
  • Options
    I love it when we revisit old/same debates. If it were to be his birthday in a few weeks ago, I'm sure we will again!
  • Options
    He lives rent free in many Charlton supporters' minds. Largely because his footballing ability was divisive (effort vs. finishing) and we didn't get a like-for-like replacement for him. Rak-Sakhi and Leaburn are the squad players closest, but bring different things and lack the experience.

I enjoyed watching him play for us and I'm happy for him that he's now playing in a Championship side. I assessed him as a speedy forward with very good stamina, who made intelligent runs. Finishing was comparatively poor for us, but ended up with fairly decent goal-scoring returns whilst part of poor Charlton sides.

If we still had him, I'd be fine with that. You can pick holes in a lot of his game, but we've had worse strikers.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I’m not convinced he’d have suited the lone striker role. He wasn’t effective there on the rare occasion he played that role, though I accept the current team is better at playing out from the back which would have helped him.

I’m am sure though that we’d definitely still be saying we need better to be promoted.
    He wouldn't, but don't let his actual position get in the way of people's moaning. He's certainly would not be an option in place of Jayden... I'm also a massive CW fan and didn't want him to leave.
  • Options
    I don't think he would be THE answer but given you could have predicted Chuks would be spending a significant portion of the season injured...........

It's all opinions, we will never know now.
  • Options
    Anyone wanting Washington back and thinking he's the answer clearly didn't watch last season. 

We need a striker that can score and finish off chances in the box. Washington isn't that. 
    If he was a better finisher he wouldn't have been at L1 level. We have to be realistic.
  • Options
    Anyone wanting Washington back and thinking he's the answer clearly didn't watch last season. 

We need a striker that can score and finish off chances in the box. Washington isn't that. 
    If he was a better finisher he wouldn't have been at L1 level. We have to be realistic.
    If we point at the weaknesses of 11 players in our starting lineup, we could say we are lucky to have a team to put out in L1 level.