Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Wanted him last season, thought he'd have been decent as a Championship striker for us - Still often gets utilised for Northern Ireland ahead of Will Grigg
  • Wanted him last season, thought he'd have been decent as a Championship striker for us - Still often gets utilised for Northern Ireland ahead of Will Grigg

But isn't he behind Josh Magennis in the pecking order for them?
    I disagreed when he was linked last summer, although couldn't have been worse than Hemed. Think he'll do a decent job in League 1 though. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I don't like to be underwhelmed by signings - particularly in the current climate, as literally any player would strengthen our squad depth - but on the face of it, Washington does not seem technically proficient enough. Then again, I'm judging against the football I saw this season, which is a much better standard than League One.

He is one of the most one-footed footballers I have seen, judging by this video, with the exception of the penultimate goal (I think it's the only time he used his left foot!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxI1QxMqdt4

He has an instinct for movement in the box, and doesn't mind running at defenders, but a lack of game time in the last couple of seasons is a bit of a concern. I don't know how fit he is at the moment and I don't know how interested he is in the game. But in Bowyer and Gallen I trust, if this move is on the cards. I think the rumour has legs: we're a pretty specific club for the Daily Record to link him with given they're a Scottish paper.
    I don't give a toss if he has his left foot chopped off if he scored 15 goals with his right. 

But isn't he behind Josh Magennis in the pecking order for them?
    Dont they use him as a lone Striker and get him to hold the ball up to bring others in to play - You dont often see them playing 4-4-2
    I disagreed when he was linked last summer, although couldn't have been worse than Hemed. Think he'll do a decent job in League 1 though. 
    It was four / five years ago now but he got ten and thirteen goals in his two full seasons for Peterborough

If he can replicate that for us then I'll be very happy

Of course we'll need others to chip in too but need that regardless 
  • Bonne Aneke Washington and Davison are a decent set of options for League One. Only concern is that the first three have had significant injury issues in recent years.

I think in midfield and up top we aren't a million miles from competing for top 6 in league one, my main concern is defensively if lockyer and phillips leave.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Rich, has our transfer registration embargo been lifted? If not, how will this work please?
  • Scoham said:
    Rich, has our transfer registration embargo been lifted? If not, how will this work please?
    We can still sign players within our existing budget
  • I'm fairly certain that we can sign whoever we want as long as we don't go above the costs we've agreed with the EFL. It's why we were able to loan in Smith, Prick and McGeady in January
  • Bonne Aneke Washington and Davison are a decent set of options for League One. Only concern is that the first three have had significant injury issues in recent years.

I think in midfield and up top we aren't a million miles from competing for top 6 in league one, my main concern is defensively if lockyer and phillips leave.
    I'd still be looking for one more to be honest. Midfield is ok although we need at least 2 or 3 as it's lacking depth. 
  • Weird, because the article says he wants to leave Hearts because they dropped out of the Scottish Premiership.

So League One's ok then....?
  • Weird, because the article says he wants to leave Hearts because they dropped out of the Scottish Premiership.

League 1 is a much better league than the Scottish second division. 
  • edited August 2020
    Weird, because the article says he wants to leave Hearts because they dropped out of the Scottish Premiership.

Scottish Championship is probably at the level of League One

Dont forget we got Magennis when we were in League One from Kilmarnock who were SPL

Not really weird. Think he’s a fairly local lad and league one is probably similar to bottom of the Scottish prem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Works his socks off,doesnt score many, went to Scotland only got 3 I think out there. 13 in 90 odd appearances for QPR but was played out wide left on many occasions
    Perhaps I underestimated his abilities to be multi positional but if we wanted a non scoring, injury prone, left back we really should have offered Lewis Page a new contract
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I don't like to be underwhelmed by signings - particularly in the current climate, as literally any player would strengthen our squad depth - but on the face of it, Washington does not seem technically proficient enough. Then again, I'm judging against the football I saw this season, which is a much better standard than League One.

He is one of the most one-footed footballers I have seen, judging by this video, with the exception of the penultimate goal (I think it's the only time he used his left foot!):

He has an instinct for movement in the box, and doesn't mind running at defenders, but a lack of game time in the last couple of seasons is a bit of a concern. I don't know how fit he is at the moment and I don't know how interested he is in the game. But in Bowyer and Gallen I trust, if this move is on the cards. I think the rumour has legs: we're a pretty specific club for the Daily Record to link him with given they're a Scottish paper.
    I don't give a toss if he has his left foot chopped off if he scored 15 goals with his right. 
    He's 28 and only scored 48 lifetime league goals. On that basis, we might have to wait three seasons for him to reach your target
  • I'm fairly certain that we can sign whoever we want as long as we don't go above the costs we've agreed with the EFL. It's why we were able to loan in Smith, Prick and McGeady in January

• se9addick said:
    Conor Washington is a cool name. 
    He’s good mates with Stuart Dallas, that fella at Leeds 
  • Scoham said:
    Wanted him last season, thought he'd have been decent as a Championship striker for us - Still often gets utilised for Northern Ireland ahead of Will Grigg
    It was four / five years ago now but he got ten and thirteen goals in his two full seasons for Peterborough

I think we have unrealistic expectations for our strikers because Grant & Taylor were so good. Probably had two of the best striker outside the premier league in the same team in league 1. Never likely to get anyone near to replace them.
    Two players Bowyer improved and got the best out of, Taylor was stepping up to a bigger club with higher expectations and Grant had just had his first run of goals after half a season in League 2.

We’re not going to pay millions for someone like Toney, we’ll need to do the same again.
    Only other thing we can do is try and find some kid either on loan or released from a Premier League club thats been underestimated and has a point to prove

Bit like Toney in a way when Peterborough signed him from Newcastle (albeit for a fee), e.g. he hadnt really done much in terms of scoring yet they saw beyond his "stats"
  • Scoham said:
    Wanted him last season, thought he'd have been decent as a Championship striker for us - Still often gets utilised for Northern Ireland ahead of Will Grigg

I think we have unrealistic expectations for our strikers because Grant & Taylor were so good. Probably had two of the best striker outside the premier league in the same team in league 1. Never likely to get anyone near to replace them.
    Two players Bowyer improved and got the best out of, Taylor was stepping up to a bigger club with higher expectations and Grant had just had his first run of goals after half a season in League 2.

We’re not going to pay millions for someone like Toney, we’ll need to do the same again.
    Only other thing we can do is try and find some kid either on loan or released from a Premier League club thats been underestimated and has a point to prove

Bit like Toney in a way when Peterborough signed him from Newcastle (albeit for a fee), e.g. he hadnt really done much in terms of scoring yet they saw beyond his "stats"
     Chris Farnell the agent for that move
  • Seems to fit if we have to try and give ourselves options whilst sticking to a budget. Aneke is the big lump, Bonne is the BWP style goal scorer and then Washington as the grafter/Donkey work option, with Davison to be bought in carefully and as cup cover. 

Obviously if/when Bonne is sold he will need replacing but embargo means we have to wait until that happens instead of trying to preempt it.
  • PaddyP17 said:

There was two other occasions he could have used his left in the whole video, but he still scored with his right. 
  • edited August 2020
    a non prolific 'striker' .. 243 game in EFL and Scotland, 48 goals((:<)
    That's 0.197 Goals per game, better than Yann when he joined

Yann before CAFC P185 GS 35 0.189 GPG

Looks like Washington has actually played 277, scoring 58 (0.209 GPG)
  • PaddyP17 said:

He's 28 and only scored 48 lifetime league goals. On that basis, we might have to wait three seasons for him to reach your target
    3 in 15 in the Scottish Prem last season. Last time Lyle Taylor played in the Scottish Prem he scored...

3 in 15