Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Don Townsend RIP

2»

Comments

• I watched Don many times at left back.  Its very sad when any of our former players pass away. RIP   
  • RIP Don, very good no nonsense left back.
  • RIP Don.
    i have a programme from 1960s featuring Don on the cover.
  • RIP Don.
    any chance of posting a pic of the cover here?
  • Don was in the first team I saw at Charlton in the 1950s Jock Campbell was the other back,I think Derek Ufton is the only player from that team still with us.R.I.P Don thanks for the memory.
  • edited July 2020
    RIP, was a very decent player. Together with John Hewie we had a strong left side with Johnny Sewell and Sam Lawrie on the right.
  • RIP Don.
    @bexleyaddick

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/9414846735/in/album-72157632953739595/

• RIP Don.
    @bexleyaddick

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/9414846735/in/album-72157632953739595/

Thank you very much....
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Don. I saw Don play many times as our first choice left back. Always consistent and reliable. Even kept Sir Stanley quiet in a Blackpool game I remember at the Valley many moons ago -  when football was football and Charlton was Charlton.  My sincere condolences to all his family and friends. Sad news.
  • Two little stories to tell about Don.

When I asked for his autograph in those days, I presented a glossy photo of him taken at Stamford Bridge. He looked at it for a moment or two and said "I've not seen that one before" and signed it for me. He still lingered on the photo and I asked him if he would like it. He asked if I was sure and I said yes. He thanked me and then he said "I wish I hadn't signed it now" with a little regret.

On another occasion I was playing in minor football for a team based in South Darenth, Dartford when Don appeared on the line as a casual spectator. Must have been early 60s. I recognized him immediately (we only attracted about 7 or 8 spectators in those days and those were mainly associated with the players). I saw he was holding a baby in his arms. Perhaps this was Andy? I imagined he lived nearby and just fancied watching a local game. Big thrill for me at the time.     
  • Don was in the first team I saw at Charlton in the 1950s Jock Campbell was the other back,I think Derek Ufton is the only player from that team still with us.R.I.P Don thanks for the memory.

In he's early days at Charlton, I think he played in the same team with Eddie Firmani and a bit later with Trevor Edwards at right back, they are both  still alive.
  • little story to tell - I was in the same class at Bexleyheath Comprehensive as Andy (and his now wife Jackie) and he knew I was a big Charlton fan. One day he gave me two programmes from 1959 and 1961 in which his Dad had played, one was Sheffield Utd away but can't remember the other although I still have it. Not sure his Dad knew that he had given them to me but I wasn't giving them back !! 
  • saw him play for us and against us for Palace .. R I P
  • little story to tell - I was in the same class at Bexleyheath Comprehensive as Andy (and his now wife Jackie) and he knew I was a big Charlton fan. One day he gave me two programmes from 1959 and 1961 in which his Dad had played, one was Sheffield Utd away but can't remember the other although I still have it. Not sure his Dad knew that he had given them to me but I wasn't giving them back !! 
    You must have been A3 stream then? I don't remember Don as a player but regularly went to their house as a child, a true gentleman, good to see a nice tribute from the club.
    You must have been A3 stream then? I don't remember Don as a player but regularly went to their house as a child, a true gentleman, good to see a nice tribute from the club.

No, started off in C stream then quickly promoted to B stream. Never reached the dizzying heights of the A stream. Was definitely in at least two classes with Andy that I can remember, was a long time ago now.
  • RIP Don, when I first started supporting CAFC you were the regular and very good LB.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP.

I first  attended the valley around February 1962 but I don't seem to remember him.
    The full backs that I remember we're John Sewell and long John Hewie.
    Then again my memory's not what it was!
  • Jimmy Seed converted Don from centre forward to left back. He once scored a hat trick for the reserves when he first arrived. A very nice man. 
    RIP Don
  • I’ve always had an attachment to Don and followed the career of Andy. Don and his family lived in a Charlton house at the top of Ankerdine Crescent in Shooters Hill where my family lived. When my twin sisters were born in 1960 we bought their twin pram from them. I can never remember meeting him as I was a bit young but there has always been an attachment.

RIP Don. 
  • A very popular player who was very consistent and reliable.
    He was in the side on my first visit to The Valley in early 1958.
    Willie Duff in goal and Johnny Sewell at right back.
    What happy unforgettable days.....the world of professional football is light years away from what it is now.
    I know which one I preferred.😕
  • Rob said:
    I’ve always had an attachment to Don and followed the career of Andy. Don and his family lived in a Charlton house at the top of Ankerdine Crescent in Shooters Hill where my family lived. When my twin sisters were born in 1960 we bought their twin pram from them. I can never remember meeting him as I was a bit young but there has always been an attachment.

RIP Don. 
    Never quite understood why Andy didn’t sign for us as a junior?