Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Options
    Thats happened very quietly!!... Didnt realise that Wigan were being ran that badly
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    There is an argument to say this could go against us, even with a 12 point deduction they are not out of it and it means when they play us they will have it all to  play for where as when they would have played they would have had nothing to play for. 
    However , if it is to effect us and their performances against us - they have to Dave both Barnsley and hull before us , so you’d expect both Barnsley and hull to lose out first- and if Wigan do capitulate then makes our game easier 
  • Options
    I do not like seeing clubs in financial problems, and do not know how many points Wigan will be penalised, 8, 10 or 12, which will help our position, providing it is this season, but I hope they get it sorted out and can carry on playing.
  • Options
    so do I have this right, if they finish 10 points above the relegation zone then they will be deducted 12 points and be relegated. If they finish 14 points clear of the relegation zone they are deducted 12 points and stay up? Where is the punishment then? (not that I want them to be relegated other than fairly and squarely).
    The punishment is a points deduction not guaranteed relegation. If you manage to get enough points to stay up despite the deduction, then surely that's fair enough? It's no different to clubs starting with a points deduction at the beginning of the season and then playing their way out of it.
  • Options
    So if we're taking 52 points as a survival target this season they need to be getting 64 to stay up.

So they need at least 4-5 wins from their last 6 games.
    Seems like it. I know they have been on a great run but surely they can't continue to win games.
    They've got Brentford away at the weekend but all their other games are winnable.

Going into admin won't make them a bad team overnight.
  • Options
    Obviously terrible news for Wigan and those businesses set to lose out

But part of me hopes this is the first of many and it leads to a reform of the way clubs operate. It's clear that the situation is getting worse and worse for those in the EFL and that was without Covid. 
    My fear with that is the reform will be lower leagues filled majority by Premier League B-teams. 
  • Options
    strange happenings .. the previous ownership, the Whelans, sold out to a HK based company for £22 Million in late n2018. David Sharpe, the ex chairman and grandson of Dave Whelan has joined Mansfield Town as Director of Football. I wonder if the Whelans got paid the full £22 Million ?
  • Options
    certain similarities to us in who are these new people and where is the money coming from.
    There's a China/Hong Kong connection. Also in other posts they believe David Whelan will come in a buy the club back at a rock bottom price. 

from Wigan fans:

"This is so random, came out of nowhere, this is probably the most shadiest bit of ownership I have seen, came in to asset strip the club for profit? What do the EFL actually do? Players, manager and fans punished. Toxic"

"Our clubs gone I think. Who in their right mind would buy a football club right now? I can understand the frustrations of Bury and Bolton fans at the lack of support and ownership checks from the EFL. At least they knew who their bloody owners were though so they could put the blame on someone. We don’t have a clue who’s even in charge."

"So we get taken over then put in administration.
    Safe hands Mr Whelan? W.T.F?"

"I think we all knew we were financially screwed, but this seems to have come out of the blue. To buy a club one month, get players to sign contracts, announce whatever was announced at the soccer dome and then get put into into admin seems bizarre to say the least."

"We all saw the warning signs. The info about these ***** online. They’ve got no fucking money and financed it all on bank loans. I bet the law with China and Hong Kong getting passed through was the catalyst. Now Choi and his buddies have made a snap decision to pull out and we are in the shit!"

"So this is why they transferred the club from a plc to a group of people. No plc wants to have one of their subsidiaries going into administration."

"I am astounded that the owners have decided to pull the plug so quickly and so near to the end of the season. I can only assume that it is not just a financial problem as completing the season and protecting our position in the championship would have added value to the club.

Maybe as some have speculated it is something to do with the events in Hong Kong or maybe it is them not understanding how it will affect the club with regard to the points deduction. Either way it seems to be a knee jerk reaction.

Our best hope now is that we complete our fixtures with a run of good performances and pick up as many points as we can to try and stave off relegation. The administrators are compliant and look to find a buyer as quickly and retain as many of the players contracts as possible.

If David Whelan is anything like the man we think he is and thinks as much of the club as he says he does then I would expect him and David Sharpe to be in the forefront of any groups looking to buy the club."
  • Options
    Surely we could be bang in trouble here if we are not careful no?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty sure they're not going to be the only club this happens to in the next couple of months.

Serious questions need to be asked as to how a club can be taken over and then put into administration less than a month later. Wtf has gone on? A silly question i know given the Nimer and Southall fiasco but how can a new owner not have any money after just 1 month?

EFL not fit for purpose yet again.
    I thought they were taken over in 2018 when the Whelan’s sold up - or have I missed something ?
  • Options
    Not sure why Brentford is not winnable for Wigan looking at their form. 
  • Options
    strange happenings .. the previous ownership, the Whelans, sold out to a HK based company for £22 Million in late n2018. David Sharpe, the ex chairman and grandson of Dave Whelan has joined Mansfield Town as Director of Football. I wonder if the Whelans got paid the full £22 Million ?

I thought they were taken over in 2018 when the Whelan’s sold up - or have I missed something ?

• Options
    I could be wrong but I think it will apply this season if it relegates them, or next season if it doesn't?  Points deduction is up to 12 now not 10.
    How would you know if it relegates them ? 
  • Options
    You've got to feel for them, similar bunch of shysters as we've had. Must be gutting for them after playing so well this half of the season
  • Options
    I think it was our own jimmy stone who said on Twitter he has a sneaking suspicion there’s some kind of underworld racket going on, with people “buying” football clubs and then letting them fold, look at bury, us under southall and now Wigan. What seems to essentially be a fraudster ring happening in football right now 
    Given that Football is all about the money these days and not about the beautiful game, I make that assertion about right.

• Options
    It shows no leniency from the EFL. I wonder if in our situation, not showing proof or source of funds, carries a point deduction. At transfer of ownership of club we've failed to do that twice in six months.

Feel sorry for Bolton fans and staff.
  • Options
    I could be wrong but I think it will apply this season if it relegates them, or next season if it doesn't?  Points deduction is up to 12 now not 10.
    Sorry, I was wrong.  its 12 points this season unless they finish in the bottom 3 without the deduction, then its deferred until next season
  • Options
    They’re waiting until the final game of the season before they apply the deduction.
  • Options
    To stay up they need to finish 12 above the 3rd from bottom team.
    If they finish in bottom 3 before the 12 points is deducted then it will be applied next season. This is unlikely as they are already on 50 points. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty sure they're not going to be the only club this happens to in the next couple of months.

Serious questions need to be asked as to how a club can be taken over and then put into administration less than a month later. Wtf has gone on? A silly question i know given the Nimer and Southall fiasco but how can a new owner not have any money after just 1 month?

Sold to a Hong Kong group in 2018, who then sold it on to a different Hong Kong company a month ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52920816
  • Options

Sold to a Hong Kong group in 2018, who then sold it on to a different Hong Kong company a month ago

Thanks - this all has a bad smell about it methinks
  • Options

a few wigan fans believe that because of the new Hong Kong/China law passed is why this has happened today. Not sure how it would effect their ownership, might just be coincidence. 
  • Options
    If they lose on Saturday they are almost down. Would then need to win all their last 5 games, or at the very least win 4 & draw 1. 
  • Options
    If they lose on Saturday they are almost down. Would then need to win all their last 5 games, or at the very least win 4 & draw 1. 
    13 points would obviously give them 1 point more than they currently have.  They would be as good as safe on 51 points. 

On thier form I would imagine they will be safe, but it's less likely we will go down, if that makes sense. 
  • Options
    The Grauniad is reporting that: "IEC bought Wigan from the sports and retail magnate Dave Whelan for £15.9m, but despite winning promotion from League One last season, the company said it was dissatisfied with the loss-making finances of the Championship and the UK’s uncertain economic prospects after Brexit. IEC sold to Au Yeung’s consortium for £17.5m, plus repayment of £24.36m the company had invested in the club."

Basically the buyer has enough money but is concerned with the short to medium-term financial prospect of running a Championship football club, so has kicked the club well and truly to the kerb and washed his hands Pontius Pilate style.

I think this means we are at a watershed moment for those looking to invest in a football club.  We can expect many other clubs to go to the wall in the next few years.  Praying that won't include us.

• Options
    80% off all Kappa tracksuits at DW Sports, must end 5pm Monday 
  • Options

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/whats-going-on.105986/page-1

Reading their fan reaction, I really feel for them.