Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    A RB that sat on Colchester’s bench better than one that we sold for 1m + (I think) and is currently a championship player

That’s not the smartest thing I’ve ever heard.
    He’s a CM, not a RB.

Alfie Doughty was sat on Bromley’s bench last season, that means absolutely nothing. 

It was 2m I believe, and he can hardly get a kick. Their academy product Djed Spence is already a better player and keeps him out of the team.
    But your calling for him to be our first choice RB? 
    I’m not calling for him to be our RB - I’m saying in a season where we are under a transfer embargo, likely losing key players and at risk of expulsion from the league, it would be a decent option. 

I’d much rather Matthews, Solly or Dijksteel - but as we don’t have that option I think he’s worth a shot
    You literally said “For me he’s our starting RB all season”. Now your saying you’d rather Dijksteel even though Sarpong is better? Where’s that shovel...
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-face-a-restricted-wage-limit-under-efl-transfer-embargo-that-will-impact-on-their-remaining-summer-targets/

The salary cap means League 1 clubs can pay new signings £2k per week, but we’re restricted to £1.3k under our embargo.

That includes loans but excludes players under 21.

Last week we missed out on Doncaster winger Kieran Sadlier after he signed for Rotherham. He was Doncaster’s top scorer last season.
  • Options
    £1,300 a week isn’t very much at all is it. Even £2,000 a week is restrictive. Need to get the embargo lifted ASAP.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    A RB that sat on Colchester’s bench better than one that we sold for 1m + (I think) and is currently a championship player

He’s a CM, not a RB.

Alfie Doughty was sat on Bromley’s bench last season, that means absolutely nothing. 

It was 2m I believe, and he can hardly get a kick. Their academy product Djed Spence is already a better player and keeps him out of the team.
    I’m not calling for him to be our RB - I’m saying in a season where we are under a transfer embargo, likely losing key players and at risk of expulsion from the league, it would be a decent option. 

I’d much rather Matthews, Solly or Dijksteel - but as we don’t have that option I think he’s worth a shot
    You literally said “For me he’s our starting RB all season”. Now your saying you’d rather Dijksteel even though Sarpong is better? Where’s that shovel...
    I’m going to try and help Elliott out here. I think he is saying that wirdu is currently our best option and rates him but would rather have solly, Matthews or dijksteel
  • Options
    while the salary gap is a good idea it has to be through the leagues or at least the EFL. 

All that will happen is that a big gap of quality will occur between league 1 and the championship. 
    I think the gap between all the league's is quite big now, the 3 teams promoted from our promotion season all ended up in or close to the bottom as in the Premiership as well 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Hopefully the PFA win their argument in saying its not allowed

I'm all for Salary Caps but this one does seem a bit ridiculous
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laddick01 said:

He’s a CM, not a RB.

What part of this are you finding difficult? 

I’m talking about a youngster with a high ceiling who is able to fill a gap. I’m not saying he’s better than Dijksteel right now, I’m saying he has all the attributes to surpass Dijksteel. 

If we weren’t run by charlatans then we wouldn’t need to consider this.  
  • Options
    Pretty sure that salary cap will be overturned before too long 
  • Options
    Penalties have been agreed for clubs who exceed the cap by up to 5%, with fines rising to £3 for every £1 of overspend. Money collected will be redistributed among clubs who have stayed within the rules. A disciplinary commission will deal with clubs who break the cap by more than 5%.

So you can overspend and pay a fine, just don’t go over 5% otherwise you might get a points deduction or something in a few years time.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-face-a-restricted-wage-limit-under-efl-transfer-embargo-that-will-impact-on-their-remaining-summer-targets/

The salary cap means League 1 clubs can pay new signings £2k per week, but we’re restricted to £1.3k under our embargo.

Last week we missed out on Doncaster winger Kieran Sadlier after he signed for Rotherham. He was Doncaster’s top scorer last season.
    Which of the League 1 & League 2 teams agreed to this...? Was it a simple majority vote or a 2/3rd majority needed. Cant see how any experienced players will sign for any decent League 1 teams like Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich etc if you can only pay £1300 a week.
  • Options
    This salary cap is ridiculous! 

It's far too strict, limit to 4k a week at this level surely.

£2k a week is the equivalent of £104k a year, is it worth being a footballer at that salary level?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Which of the League 1 & League 2 teams agreed to this...? Was it a simple majority vote or a 2/3rd majority needed. Cant see how any experienced players will sign for any decent League 1 teams like Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich etc if you can only pay £1300 a week.
    According to the Guardian link I posted...

League 1: 16 in favour, 7 against, 1 didn’t vote
    League 2: 22 in favour, 2 against
  • Options
    Ridiculous. It should be full consensus or at very least 80% majority.
  • Options
    One question i do have on the salary cap - If you sell a player for 5m for example, can that 5m be used on other players?
  • Options
    One question i do have on the salary cap - If you sell a player for 5m for example, can that 5m be used on other players?
    Don't believe so, seems like this hasn't been thought through. It will mean though I expect a lot of out of contract players having to take a big pay cut to stay in football. Championship sides won't sign everyone. Likes of Matthews, Sarr are examples of one's who might suffer if they can't get a championship club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another point is that teams that are relegated from championship with players out of contract have a very slim chance of keeping them. 

Which is both good and bad for the relegated side, bouncing back becomes more difficult, but finances at the club are more protected.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Another point is that teams that are relegated from championship with players out of contract have a very slim chance of keeping them. 

Which is both good and bad for the relegated side, bouncing back becomes more difficult, but finances at the club are more protected.
    In some way yes but with Phillips and Alfie they may normally be happy to agree new deals with us with a minimum release clause. Now they might as well run down the contract and see where we are next year and we lose money. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

He’s a CM, not a RB.

What part of this are you finding difficult? 

I’m talking about a youngster with a high ceiling who is able to fill a gap. I’m not saying he’s better than Dijksteel right now, I’m saying he has all the attributes to surpass Dijksteel. 

If we weren’t run by charlatans then we wouldn’t need to consider this.  
    Ok calm down. Let’s just hope he has a decent job. I’m sure we’ll be targeting a RB anyway, Gallen pretty much confirmed it the other day. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The current cap set up seems overly restrictive but any exemptions given for turnover/owner wealth will be exploited ruthlessly, making the whole system pointless. It's a genuine quandary.
  • Options
    Currently it is commonplace in contracts to see a c.25% pay rise when promoted to the Championship. I can see that becoming 200-500% as standard going forward which will just become another absolutely mental thing.

The only way a salary cap works is if it is as a % of turnover, you cannot just level the playing field by enforcing a £ cap. If it is enforced you will see a lot of huge clubs slipping down the pyramid into oblivion. It must also be applied from the top down. the fact that the worst teams in the championship can pay 7 times the salary of the top league ones clubs and still be within the budget is an absolute joke.

it is also incredibly unfair on London based clubs, £100K a year does not get you very fair at all compared to the same salary up north.

Yet another example of the EFL being completely unfit for purpose.
    Good point. It encourages teams in the championship to offer longer term contracts on good terms which is not healthy. 

This then means when they comes down they have a massive advantage over other teams and odds stacked they go straight back up and if they dont they are bang in trouble. 

It encourages a shit or bust approach from above. 
  • Options
    Or they’ll loan them out covering all or most of the cost.
  • Options
    Does it also restrict you offering an out of contract U24 their same wage again if currently on more... Which clubs do to ensure another club has to pay them to take the player off them under EPPP rules?