Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Taking a knee

I understand that “kick it out” the anti racist organisation are wanting all footballers to take a knee prior  matches ( I assume) 

I am very supportive of footballers being able to do so, we but equally feel that players should feel free not to do so if they wish. I would be concerned that this has the potential to be polemic and divisive at a time where we need to be working together as communities 

We’re it possible for this to happen with players choosing their response without fear of repercussion I would be comfortable- I fear this would not be so 

Comments

• It'll be the same as the poppy controversy every year. 

Personally I would lose respect for anyone that didn't kneel and would prefer they weren't at my club.

All players are doing is protesting against police brutality, who would be against that? 
    That would likely be my position too , but people can represent their dissatisfaction in various ways and I would not cast aspersions on someone who chose not to make that public statement of protest 

To he really free to do this , one must be free not to too
  • Kick politics out of football. Ironic of me posting that on a political section of a football forum!

I think kick it out armbands, anti racism days are enough with players free to do what they want off of the pitch 
  • Of course someone should be free not to take a knee, I can't imagine why anyone would make such a choice though.

Has their been any suggestion it's compulsory?
  • My only objection to the poppy issue in football is, in the top leagues, the automatic wearing, without any real interest in understanding its significance.  With the many nationalities playing professionally in the UK, often with no connection to or understanding of the poppy, the symbolism and meaning is, IMHO, diminished and undermined.  

The decision to take a knee (for the residual Catholic in me, a genuflection), like that for wearing a poppy, should be a personal choice made out of some belief.  But, for me, the time to take the knee, and have it mean something, was when Colin Kaepernick was standing, or kneeling, almost alone.

Frankly, while better than doing nothing, it looks a bit like doing "the least that we can do".

A bit like last week's NFL response, it could appear insincere and self-serving. 
    Agreed. Can appear a bit empty if done without any real thought.

Kaepernick definitely made a meaningful stand.
  • Of course someone should be free not to take a knee, I can't imagine why anyone would make such a choice though.

Has their been any suggestion it's compulsory?
    Guess Trump would be against it and he had support in this country. Although you're free to do this, we've seen the witch hunt with players who don't want to wear a poppy.
  • If you really have a problem with some one kneeling for one minute you’re a special kind of snowflake and subconscious racist. 
    Would you also agree that if you had a problem with someone choosing not to kneel that you would be anti libertarian and unreasonable 
  • I thought the knee was about police brutality towards people, didn't think colour came into it....always someone stoking it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• holyjo said:
    If you really have a problem with some one kneeling for one minute you’re a special kind of snowflake and subconscious racist. 
    Would you also agree that if you had a problem with someone choosing not to kneel that you would be anti libertarian and unreasonable 
    Fuck libertarians. I say that as some one who used to think I was one.
  • I thought the knee was about police brutality towards people, didn't think colour came into it....always someone stoking it up.
    White supremacist in chief turns up

Behave 
  • stonemuse said:
    I thought the knee was about police brutality towards people, didn't think colour came into it....always someone stoking it up.
    White supremacist in chief turns up. 
    What a shit comment to make 
    Nothings new from him......most consistent user of the R word...must have insider knowledge....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Kaepernick#Activism

Feel free to educate yourself on the topic before commenting on it
    Coming from someone who googled it before answering...class...I am basing my answer from people on the radio ALL DAY who said it's about ALL police brutality not some twerp who writes a wiki link...suggest you do the same next time before mouthing off....
  • edited June 2020
    Thanks boys that back fired on them...as always...

Coming from someone who googled it before answering...class...I am basing my answer from people on the radio ALL DAY who said it's about ALL police brutality not some twerp who writes a wiki link...suggest you do the same next time before mouthing off....
    You're suggesting I should listen to the radio instead of properly researching something?

You're suggesting I should listen to the radio instead of properly researching something?
    Yes pal...after you suggested I do ...
  • Sponsored links:

Yes pal...after you suggested I do ...
    No, I suggested you educate yourself on it which you clearly spent the day failing to do
  • edited June 2020
    Indeed and likewise dont rely on one source..which clearly you spent the last few days failing to do...tip...you wont beat me....rizzo tried today on the USA thread and made a bigger fool of himself..
  • The hypocrisy of football about “political expression” is engrained in it. 

Supporting charities on the pitch ok, supporting your local community in struggle as Fowler did not ok. 

Wearing poppies sacrosanct and above any criticism (unless they are white) even if you come from a community that has experienced the worst of the British Army.

It’s a topic riddled with endorsing the Establishment’s causes but stamping down on anything else.

To think sport is separate from politics is risible.

Either allow everything or stop everything, apart from commercial sponsorship - another huge can of worms I won’t go into right now.
  • FFS I thought I was a nut.
  • FFS I thought I was a nut.
    You said it.
  • Well done on opening this thread, @holyjo and for the sensitive way you phrased your opening post. 

I hope players get the chance and the choice. And, in doing so, they fully understand what is for, and how it might bring about change. 

One difference between the Premier League and the NFL is the absence of national anthems. So there might not be a significant "moment" in which to do this. It worked so well in the NFL in part because it took place during the Star Spangled Banner. What's the equivalent "moment", pre-match in England? 

@SELR_addicks nails it in terms of that rhetorical question. 

I don't agree with @Friend Or Defoe in that it should be kept "off the pitch". But that post is reasonable too. There are sufficient and significant anti racist opportunities. 

There are several more, well thought out posts on this thread too. It's really good to see that a contentious issue can be properly and appropriately discussed by people taking an interest and treating the subject sensitively and appropriately. 

It's a shame that all changed at 6:12. 

The right thing to do is to give players the opportunity to demonstrate their solidarity, without being called out for not taking part. 

I would like to see clubs' PFA reps deciding what to do themselves, without input from their clubs or from the Premier League. That way, each club's players can decide whether they all take a knee, none of them do, or some do. It becomes an agreement between the players in each team. 

If it were me, I'd do it. 
  • @Chizz The vast majority will do it, probably everyone. But there would be a media witch-hunt if someone chose not to do it, the reverse happened in America.
  • iainment said:
    FFS I thought I was a nut.
    You said it.
    Indeed in good company
  • I’ve been toying with joining the Free speech Union - launched by Toby Young . I share virtually none if any of his political views aside from the shared concern that in a complex world of social media , a hard left ( Post modern , new Marxist ; whatever this means) works where people are de-platformed for legitimate views we are at risk of losing freedom of expression and speech

in the US the Colin Kaepernick situation has power due to its spontaneity and its organic growth 

im not saying it couldn’t work here, or that we shouldn’t give it a go, but there will be different and legitimately held views on what should go on, on a football pitch and the politicisation of the match itself maybe something that some players legitimately wish to abstain from . After all , in AF there was a mixed response from players and I understand this wasn’t always along racial lines either

For the record - I think we live in one of the most progressive countries in the world. We have made huge strides forward in this country on challenging and rooting out areas of racism and discrimination

That said there is much more work to be done and I would be supportive of those who are continuing to fight for equality and would myself kneel in solidarity of those whose lived experience is rather different from mine 
  • Perhaps on the opening game back, both teams could do this.
    Ideally for the full 90 minutes, thereby allowing our younger trainees not to be at a height disadvantage.