Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local Parks, Trails and Walks

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know if the flower gardens in Greenwich Park are now open.
    I'm told they were/are shut?
    They've been shut pretty much since the beginning of all this, but I've seen some gardeners in them in the past week, so it might not be long now. As AFKA says, the rose garden by Rangers House is back now.
  • Options
    @O-Randy-Hunt theres anothe Charlton one on Boris as my son added it about 2 weeks ago. Bet it’s some length now 
  • Options
    Today’s ‘never heard of before’ discovery was Jubilee Country Park, between Chislehurst, Petts Wood. Really lovely woodland 2 mile nature trail, well sign posted 
  • Options
    Today’s discovery was Lesness Abbey and Abbey Woods. Saw the ruins and then followed an excellent 4k trail (not for the faint hearted as seriously up and down). Was great fun and the woods were really empty. 

Having grown up just off Brampton Rd, can’t believe I’ve never been there before. 
    I'd like to check that out, but I assume not suitable for a buggy? 
  • Options
    The bits around the ruins are flat, but all the woodland is very hilly mate 
  • Options
    Hmm, could get the baby backpack carrier out, but the kid is 18 months old now and likes his freedom.

Maybe I'll just risk it as would be nice to explore around there, and think the misses will like it. 
  • Options
    @O-Randy-Hunt theres anothe Charlton one on Boris as my son added it about 2 weeks ago. Bet it’s some length now 
    Yea it seems to go on forever old bozza the snake.
  • Options
    A bit further afield. While driving on the M2, the Medway/Rochester Rivieria looks great. Are there any places to stop off and enjoy a walk with such scenery there or do you get best of the views via the bridge?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    mendonca said:
    A bit further afield. While driving on the M2, the Medway/Rochester Rivieria looks great. Are there any places to stop off and enjoy a walk with such scenery there or do you get best of the views via the bridge?
    My wife and I walk all the time so an interesting thread and glad so many post Lockdown are discovering the local area.

I would recommend Shorne Country Park for a range of varied woodlands walks with a great viewing point of the Thames. Coloured easy to follow routes and a large car park. We cheat and avoid paying by taking a right just before the entrance and parking for free in the dead end road.

About 20 seconds from the A2 Shorne/Cobham exit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    +1 for Shorne Woods. Great place and right by A2
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Ranscombe Farm Nature Reserve has decent views around there
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    mendonca said:
    I've been over there yet but you've got Ranscombe Farm Nature Reserve just before you go over the Rochester M2 Bridge
  • Options
    Any MTB riders in there ...... or rather is it suitable for MTB riding?
  • Options
    Amazing the changes in recent weeks, fortnight ago muddy, last week frozen ice, this week swamp!

who has been getting out where lately? Really looking for some new suggestions in SE London and Kent
  • Options
    Amazing the changes in recent weeks, fortnight ago muddy, last week frozen ice, this week swamp!

who has been getting out where lately? Really looking for some new suggestions in SE London and Kent
    High elms has some great walks. 
    As you say a bit like a swamp at the moment 
  • Options

High elms has some great walks. 
    As you say a bit like a swamp at the moment 
    Never been there and we were going yesterday, but thought save something new for when the weather gets nicer. Waded through the mud at Scadbury instead. 
  • Options
    Despite being suburbia we are blessed with such beautiful green space still (which makes council approvals to dig up parks for houses so annoying).

Oxleas Wood branching out to Eltham Park South, Avery Hill Park, Danson, Hall Place, The Glade, Footscray Meadows, all wonderful walking spots (and picnics when you can).

In the last week though we discovered Scadbury Park by the A20 just past Queen Mary’s on the other side of the A20. Live a mile way, yet had never even heard of it before. The most wonderful 3 mile wood land walk with set trails, fields with horses etc. Felt like you was 30 miles out in the deep countryside. 
    Love Scadbury... I didn’t know about it until an ex took me there in about 92. 

I then really wanted a house in Old Perry Street and three years later I bought a house backing onto Scadbury.

Lived there for 17 years and spent a lot of time in The Sydney Arms!
  • Options
    How far are people travelling when going for walks?

We went down to Trosley Country Park (from Strood) a few weeks ago and felt a bit guilty about travelling so far for our exercise?
  • Options
    I only discovered it last year. Great walk. 

We used to go in the Sydney Sunday lunchtimes after playing at Beaverwood. Lovely pub
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Chaser in Shipbourne is doing take away food and drink. There are some great walks around there to Ightham Mote or even Knowle Park if you really want to do a long walk.

Might be pushing it a little bit on Boris's rules though
  • Options

We went down to Trosley Country Park (from Strood) a few weeks ago and felt a bit guilty about travelling so far for our exercise?
    Under the current rules I wouldn’t go from say Sidcup to Whitstable, but have no qualms with going somewhere like Knowle or Shorne
  • Options
    I’ve been surprised at what’s available on the island, Elmley nature reserve has miles of walks and always lots of sightings of birds of prey etc, Curlys farm has various rescued wildlife. That’s of course when we open the borders again! A word of warning about the old couple wandering about with a pack of wolves, weirdo’s 
  • Options

Here are the current rules:

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay in your local area - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work.

Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.

Of course, hugely open to interpretation to suit your intentions, but the spirit is quite clear.

• Options
    I think the question was posed knowing the hard-printed rules, but merely asking for the sharing of personal experiences and boundaries. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Ranscombe Farm Nature Reserve has decent views around there
    Absolutely +1 to this.  I actually ran a marathon round the reserve back in 2014 and it was fully of poppies at the time, lovely place to go.

Despite being suburbia we are blessed with such beautiful green space still (which makes council approvals to dig up parks for houses so annoying).

Oxleas Wood branching out to Eltham Park South, Avery Hill Park, Danson, Hall Place, The Glade, Footscray Meadows, all wonderful walking spots (and picnics when you can).

In the last week though we discovered Scadbury Park by the A20 just past Queen Mary’s on the other side of the A20. Live a mile way, yet had never even heard of it before. The most wonderful 3 mile wood land walk with set trails, fields with horses etc. Felt like you was 30 miles out in the deep countryside. 
    Love Scadbury... I didn’t know about it until an ex took me there in about 92. 

I then really wanted a house in Old Perry Street and three years later I bought a house backing onto Scadbury.

Lived there for 17 years and spent a lot of time in The Sydney Arms!
    And depending on how far you actually want to walk, you can link up Scadbury with Petts Wood, Hawkswood and Jubilee Park the other side of the railway.

https://nt.global.ssl.fastly.net/documents/maps/1431730003572-petts-wood-and-hawkwood.pdf

Now this is a good website which was forwarded on to me by a neighbour...
    https://kentwalksnearlondon.com/

Have done a good few of the walks over Shoreham, Eynsford and Toys/Ide Hill as know the area well from my old cycling days.

Chelsfield also has a very good circular route - https://www.bromley.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/1702/chelsfield.pdf

• Options
    edited February 2021
    East Wickham open space is ok, but we discovered Bexley Woods the other day, little gem tucked away there with the stream running through it
    I used to live near there and have happy memories of paddling in the stream, catching tiddlers under the bridges and making dams. Happy days.
    Tiddlers, caught hundreds of em in my time.  Always brown bread in days though...
  • Options
    search for   'walks in kent near London' - there's a website with about 30 walks on it - really good - lots round sevenoaks , westerham etc 
  • Options
    sorry - just seen above

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    search for   'walks in kent near London' - there's a website with about 30 walks on it - really good - lots round sevenoaks , westerham etc 
    If I catch any of you lot coming down near Sevenoaks I am ringing the police, clear breach of Covid rules.  o:)