Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Captain Tom Moore (ed. RIP)

Comments

• Who are you accusing of racism?  Me?  The press?
    That was not in my mind at all.
    Maybe says more about you than me?
  • It won’t raise the same amount as Captain Tom as;

1. It’s not original

2. It won’t be as popular a cause as helping the NHS when there’s a worldwide epidemic.

I wish the bloke good luck though.
  • N01R4M said:
    Who are you accusing of racism?  Me?  The press?
    Look at the post above yours.
    PS he didn't call anyone racist.
    He said let's not turn this thread into a racial discussion.
  • N01R4M said:
    Who are you accusing of racism?  Me?  The press?
    You knew exactly what you was implying don’t be a knob. 
  • The usual build them up and then slag them. Leave  Tom Moore alone.
  • cblock said:
    The usual build them up and then slag them. Leave  Tom Moore alone.
    Have I missed something........but exactly who is being negative about or having a dig at Captain Tom?
  • Let’s not turn this into a racial discussion really is no need ffs 

captain toms effort is unreal, it’s gathered momentum because it’s for the nhs
    Only person suggesting such seems to be you, unless some posts have been deleted. Moderators?
  • edited May 2020
    Let’s not turn this into a racial discussion really is no need ffs 

captain toms effort is unreal, it’s gathered momentum because it’s for the nhs
    Only person suggesting such seems to be you, unless some posts have been deleted. Moderators?
    ‘ I hope this gets the same publicity in the national press that Captain Tom's effort did (although I won't hold my breath)’

What was his angle with this comment? I mean I answered his post but I don’t think that’s what he was getting at.
  • Just been given publicity by Channel 4 news - well done, channel 4.
  • Just Giving being urged by The Sun to return the £308,000 they took from the Colonel. (and the NHS) 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrWalker said:
    Just Giving being urged by The Sun to return the £308,000 they took from the Colonel. (and the NHS) 
    97% goes to the charity, 2% on fees and 1% to JG.  Taken from a FactCheck article on the fundraiser.  I couldn't see Colonel Tom raising such an amazing amount without the likes of Just Giving etc plus they have donated £100k to the NHS charity.  I just Googled the RSPCA to see what percentage of their donations goes to actually helping animals and it's 81% with the rest on governance and securing further donations.
  • Just been announced that Colonel Tom Moore will be Knighted!!! Brilliant news and an absolute legend!!! £33 million raised for the NHS is some achievement 
  • Just been announced that Colonel Tom Moore will be Knighted!!! Brilliant news and an absolute legend!!! £33 million raised for the NHS is some achievement 
    With Gift Aid it's almost £40m. 

Arise Sir Tom!
  • Captain Sir Tom Moore

Excellent stuff
  • Great news and well deserved Sir.
  • Well done Tom …… hope there is plenty of coverage when this happens.
  • Much rather the likes of Captain Sir Thomas Moore receiving a knighthood than some cronies that get them for donating to political parties or politicians themselves getting them. He has really made a difference to the mood of so many. One of the few happy stories during this Coronavirus pandemic and the amount raised for charity is incredible. 
  • Much rather the likes of Captain Sir Thomas Moore receiving a knighthood than some cronies that get them for donating to political parties or politicians themselves getting them. He has really made a difference to the mood of so many. One of the few happy stories during this Coronavirus pandemic and the amount raised for charity is incredible. 
    Well said. It is nice to see someone deserving of a knighthood.
  • MrWalker said:

Capt Sir Tom Moore to be knighted by Queen in personal ceremony

Captain Sir Tom Moore is to receive his knighthood from the Queen in his own personal ceremony.

The event to honour the 100-year-old, who raised more than £32m for NHS charities, will take place at Windsor Castle on Friday.

In May, Prime Minister Boris Johnson made a special nomination for the war veteran to be knighted.

Capt Sir Tom said he "could never have imagined this would happen" and that it would be "the most special of days".

Royal investitures were put on hold during the coronavirus pandemic with those scheduled to take place at Buckingham Palace and the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh in June and July postponed.

However, the Queen, who has been staying at Windsor during the lockdown, will carry out the official engagement in person.

Let's be fair with their relatives ages, it's best to get your skates on!

God bless em both.
  • Sponsored links:

• The knighthood is an excellent way to show the nation's appreciation for the money he has raised.  As others have noted, a more worthy recipient than many political honours.

I hope the charity are able to spend a portion of the funds Sir Tom has raised on something tangible (eg a patients' garden at a hospital, or a badly needed new GP surgery) which could be named after him, and be a lasting memorial which will outlive him.  That could be the charity's thank you.  
  • I hope it will be televised live......I would love to watch it.👏
  • has sadly died of Covid

RIP
  • So sad - he really lifted the spirits of the nation and made me proud to be British. 

RIP Sir Tom. 
  • This is so sad. He was such a beacon of light in this awful pandemic and sad that he died of Covid. Rest in peace Tom xx

• edited February 2021
    Such a shame. Really lifted the nation during  this god awful Covid pandemic. RIP Sir Tom.
  • edited February 2021
    Feared the worst when i heard on the radio this morning that his family were with him. RIP Sir,a life very well lived.Sleep well. 😔
  • Very sad - incredible man - if you haven’t read his book, do so - he lived in Gravesend for quite a few years - he had a pretty hard life, with many ups and downs - liked the ladies as well - RIP