Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player contracts/loans ending on June 30th 2020

As some may have seen the EFL are apparently talking about re-starting the season in the first week of June.

That got me thinking on the logistics of this from a player point-of-view given that all loans (Cullen, McGeady and our others) will surely expire on June 30th as will the contracts of those players whose deals expire at the end of the season (Taylor and probably others too).

What is the position on this? Surely if someone's deal expires on June 30th (loan or permanent) then we are going to have to offer short-term deals to the 'new' end of the season?

But what if a player doesn't want to re-sign for that period? Will they be able, like Lyle, to simply sign for another club on July 1st but obviously not play until next season?

To be honest if I were Lyle Taylor I'd be very wary about signing a short-term deal with us, what if he breaks his leg in those remaining nine games? He is then stuck without a club for next season, whenever that starts.

I would be interested in others thoughts about this because this is clearly unprecedented and the EFL (and PL) will need to issue some guidance on this because, for example, the likes of West Ham may not want to loan Cullen to us beyond June 30th as they may want to sell him or have him fresh for next season.

Comments

• Options
    I believe that UEFA were talking about a mandatory extension of all contracts to a yet unspecified date. Also putting back any transfer window until all countries seasons have finished. 

• Options
    I believe that UEFA were talking about a mandatory extension of all contracts to a yet unspecified date. Also putting back any transfer window until all countries seasons have finished. 

Correct.
  • Options

That is extremely interesting and means there must be some sort of 'Force Majeure' mechanism in player contracts for UEFA to be able to step in and do this.

Let's see how it plays out though because I am pretty sure that some players desperate to leave their current clubs on June 30th may well challenge any forced extension of their contract or, failing that, may make themselves 'unavailable' for the remainder of the season.

We know how greedy some agents and players are so I reckon we may see some dubious conduct in the next few months as certain people try to protect their delayed big move.
  • Options
    If there's money found to pay player and staff wages in April we should all be relieved. Then if we find out who owns the club by May that would be incredible as it would mean one or two court actions have been speedily resolved despite their complexities and coronovirus. I doubt many parties involved are willing or able to get all this done before June, in time to pick up our relegation struggle. We could be expelled from the league before then. A fresh start in August or September is our best chance of survival i think, both in the Championship and as a going concern.
  • Options

That is extremely interesting and means there must be some sort of 'Force Majeure' mechanism in player contracts for UEFA to be able to step in and do this.

Let's see how it plays out though because I am pretty sure that some players desperate to leave their current clubs on June 30th may well challenge any forced extension of their contract or, failing that, may make themselves 'unavailable' for the remainder of the season.

We know how greedy some agents and players are so I reckon we may see some dubious conduct in the next few months as certain people try to protect their delayed big move.
    Using Force Majeure to extend a contract? Not sure that would stand up in court, lots of money for lawyers if this happens.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Using Force Majeure to extend a contract? Not sure that would stand up in court, lots of money for lawyers if this happens.
    I can't see how it can happen.  For every Lyle Taylor there is also someone on a fat contract the club can't wait to get out of.  Legal minefield. 
  • Options
    I can't imagine there is a draft contract for all 92 clubs where just the numbers change, with force majeure as a standard term.
  • Options

If the transfer window (registration window) is moved until all leagues are completed any player out of contract wouldn’t be able to sign anywhere until the leagues are done. 
    So any player desperately wanting to leave on June 30th would then be without a club or wages until the window opens.
    A situation where every one of those contracts is extended by x amount of months, while complex to sort legally, is the fairest way of completing the existing season first. Surely that’s the outcome that suits players, fans and clubs the best.
  • Options
    Much as the authorities may not want it, I can see this season being abandoned if it can’t be completed before June 30th. Any attempt to enforce contracts beyond then will be hit with restraint of trade lawsuits by players and quite possibly the EU.

European competitions for next year could maybe be expanded to include last year’s qualifiers and this in qualifying positions in the aborted season. 
  • Options
    The interesting cases will be the ones likes Hakim Ziyech who has signed a Contract with Chelsea to join on X date

I guess that date though is to coincide with the transfer window opening - If UEFA havent opened it then he cant move, simple as that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lawyers should do well.
  • Options
    Much as the authorities may not want it, I can see this season being abandoned if it can’t be completed before June 30th. Any attempt to enforce contracts beyond then will be hit with restraint of trade lawsuits by players and quite possibly the EU.
    UEFA probably wont enforce it though, they'll just make it difficult for players to go elsewhere

i.e. If players want to leave on June 30th then thats fine, but current transfer rules stipulate you cant sign on a free for another club until the next Transfer WIndow opens unless you were a free transfer upon the closure of the last Transfer Window

That'll continue to apply until the next Window opens so players will have a choice

(1) Stay at the current club until this all gets sorted, they're guaranteed a Salary so will still get some income
    (2) Leave and become a free transfer

Well seeing there is no sign of a definite start date to the season how long are you going to be out of pocket for because no one will be paying you
  • Options
    UEFA probably wont enforce it though, they'll just make it difficult for players to go elsewhere

i.e. If players want to leave on June 30th then thats fine, but current transfer rules stipulate you cant sign on a free for another club until the next Transfer WIndow opens unless you were a free transfer upon the closure of the last Transfer Window

That'll continue to apply until the next Window opens so players will have a choice

(1) Stay at the current club until this all gets sorted, they're guaranteed a Salary so will still get some income

Well seeing there is no sign of a definite start date to the season how long are you going to be out of pocket for because no one will be paying you
    But then that's not fair on the clubs who have players leave and then have to play the rest of the season without them. At the end of the January window they were expecting that that would be the side they'd have until the end of the season.
  • Options

But then that's not fair on the clubs who have players leave and then have to play the rest of the season without them. At the end of the January window they were expecting that that would be the side they'd have until the end of the season.
    But thats my point, why would players be stupid enough to leave and risk being without a salary for the foreseeable future?

In terms of loan players thats an easy one to resolve - Josh Cullen signed on a season long loan... Well the season isnt over yet
  • Options

Agreed. All it takes is for one player to leave and it's not a level playing field. 
  • Options

But thats my point, why would players be stupid enough to leave and risk being without a salary for the foreseeable future?

In terms of loan players thats an easy one to resolve - Josh Cullen signed on a season long loan... Well the season isnt over yet
    I just don't see how you can implement it on the basis that you trust footballers won't leave.

I'm sure there are plenty that would sacrifice a couple months wages on the basis that their new club pays them the lost money via a signing on fee and leaving early also minimises the risk of picking up an injury over the final 10 games.
  • Options

They might be without a salary anyway if they stay with us. 
  • Options

I just don't see how you can implement it on the basis that you trust footballers won't leave.

I'm sure there are plenty that would sacrifice a couple months wages on the basis that their new club pays them the lost money via a signing on fee and leaving early also minimises the risk of picking up an injury over the final 10 games.
    Very true in that regard, of course the biggest hit like that will come in the Premier League and Championship as the majority of players should be able to afford a few months without wages

Charlton | League One and League Two players are the ones I'd mainly trust not to leave as none will be on high salaries
  • Options
    Can you fit 9 games in a month? At a stretch yes, if you knock cup competitions on the head. Maybe you could finish the cup competitions from this season at the start of next season. What would be ridiculous is having the season run past a point where clubs lose key players. 
  • Options
    I suspect there is a likelihood of clubs will be going bankrupt or into administration before 30 June and those that don’t will be worried about joining them so renewing players contracts and signing new players will be low down on any clubs list of things to do, if it’s even on the list that is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Season should've been cancelled already, don't get the desperation to finish it (other than being about money). 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Season should've been cancelled already, don't get the desperation to finish it (other than being about money). 
    Agreed, the focus should be on what to do about the current standings, declare them as final or just null and void it
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Talal said:
    Agreed, the focus should be on what to do about the current standings, declare them as final or just null and void it
    They'd have to be voided unless they want a whole host of legal challenges. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    They'd have be voided unless they want a whole host of legal challenges. 
    There will surely be legal challenges whatever they do?

Likes of Liverpool will moan that the season shouldnt have been ended, likes of Aston Villa will moan they've been relegated with a game in hand

The authorities need to realise this and just make a decision - Either that or they should stop trying to squeeze the season into too small a window as possible

i.e. if its not safe to play Football until January 2021 then they may as well finish this one rather than trying to mess around squeezing in the next one
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Only likely teams at the top will moan. I doubt they'd get very far legally if they tried anything as I'm sure it must be written somewhere that the season can be nulled and voided.
    Whereas if they take the standings as they are, all the relegated clubs will take action. Plus any club that could mathematically have made the top two. Huge can of worms would be opened up. 
  • Options

Any player who has a contract finish on the 30th June who has another club lined up, I would imagine their next club will not be starting that contract until they know when they will start playing again.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Only likely teams at the top will moan. I doubt they'd get very far legally if they tried anything as I'm sure it must be written somewhere that the season can be nulled and voided.
    Whereas if they take the standings as they are, all the relegated clubs will take action. Plus any club that could mathematically have made the top two. Huge can of worms would be opened up. 
    Voiding it is the only sensible option.

• Options
    Why do they keep talking about June like anything is going to be much different? No one will be able to go to these games so it's pointless starting again then. 
  • Options
    Unless there is language in the standard player contract to permit extending it in a case like this, then UEFA can’t mandate anything.  The contract it between the player and the club, not with UEFA. 

Also, the players are being paid, so their contract is running down. If they want to extend the league through July, will they get an extra months pay, or are they supposed to play for nothing. The argument will be they have already been paid in advance, but would their agents/advisors agree. 

As for ending the season, the FA have already set the precedent with all the lower leagues - the season is voided. They can’t then come up with a different arrangement for the higher leagues. As others have said, there will be lawsuits, but if you come up with two different solutions, you’re very likely to lose one of them.  Their only hope is to have a consistent approach. They either need to let the lower leagues restart, or void all the leagues.  
  • Options
    Can you fit 9 games in a month? At a stretch yes, if you knock cup competitions on the head. Maybe you could finish the cup competitions from this season at the start of next season. What would be ridiculous is having the season run past a point where clubs lose key players. 
    I mean technically you could probably fit an entire season into a month, most of the games would be horrific though. If we end up doing something ridiculous which seriously undermines the integrity of the competition then it would be better not to finish the season at all.