Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sponsorship for TCE

Saw this on Twitter today
Ray does such good work with his dogs and devotes so much of his time to good causes (including CACT). It would be a shame for him and his missus to have to work to subsidise the voluntary and charitable work he does. It would also mean they spend less time doing that work.

How about some regular sponsorship for Ray's therapy dogs from us Lifers? I'm happy to start the ball rolling with a pledge of a fiver a month. Anyone else feeling generous?

Comments

• Count me in. Maybe a tenner/month. We already sponsor a Guide Dog, so why not sponsor some more dogs, that are proper Charlton :-)
  • Could you do the funding via something like Patreon or GoFundMe for regular funding? 
  • T_C_E said:
    Thank you folks for this I’m very humbled by the kind thought, but we have to be very careful not to upset the taxman. The sponsorship idea is a good one and very kind offer too, but I’m not sure how we could fall foul of the tax laws. Just to make it clear, someone has suggested I shouldn’t have five dogs if we can’t care from them. That is not the issue, the charity my dogs represent have rules that are making it more and more difficult to work under their umbrella, so when we visit some places we are obligated to take out extra liability insurance this along with travel costs make financially a struggle. For example, this years Upbeats walk stands to cost us over £50 before we raise any money for the cause. We had a “kitty” (pun intended) 😉 but sadly that has gone, it was just frustration that made shout my gob off on Twitter. Thanks again Ray. 
    Can't imagine you would have much of a problem with the tax man Ray, especially if you keep a record of all your outgoings (insurance, food, fuel etc.....) to offset any earnings (Do you even get payment/expenses?). 
    How much would it be per month to cover your costs for the work you do? It would be great if we could meet that cost so you don't have to worry about it again and can spend your time enjoying retirement and doing the therapy work.
  • Rothko said:
    Could you do the funding via something like Patreon or GoFundMe for regular funding? 
    I've just had a look but there are fees applicable to both. Personally speaking, I'm happy to transfer the money directly to @TCEs account until it is no longer needed.
  • Start at £2k a week Teece, and let him knock you down

;)
  • @T_C_E Ray, if you set up a PayPal a/c (people could send you friend/family payments that would attract no PayPal fees) or bank account that only received donations money purely for costs for the dogs' charity works, you'd probably be OK on the tax front.  You may have to complete a separate tax return for that 'organisation' but that should be all the extra paperwork involved.
  • Can definitely count me in for a small monthly pledge if you move forward with it.
  • Thanks again folks, I already have a PayPal account I use mainly for CL sponsorship, I’ll pm those of you that would like to sponsor our Therapy dogs. Thank you again truly humbled. 
    Ray
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 19
    Have you thought about setting up a charity? https://www.gov.uk/setting-up-charity 

That way you won’t have to worry about the taxman, the cost of the charitable work is funded directly and you would be able to claim reasonable expenses. I’m sure the Charlton Life and wider community would be supportive and I’m sure people would come forward to be Trustees ... Just a thought 
  • Truly humbled, thank you so very much.
    Ray
  • Ok. I want to set up a regular payment using the link you sent, Ray, but it seems to be impossible through Paypal. I have tried using my bank account too but that isn't possible either using the link you sent.
    Does anyone know how I can set up the equivalent of a standing order to Ray's Paypal.me account please? Or do I just have to remember to make a payment each month?
  • Yes please @T_C_E pls pm me, happy to contribute along the same sort of lines as @PragueAddick
  • edited February 19
    Ok. I want to set up a regular payment using the link you sent, Ray, but it seems to be impossible through Paypal. I have tried using my bank account too but that isn't possible either using the link you sent.
    Does anyone know how I can set up the equivalent of a standing order to Ray's Paypal.me account please? Or do I just have to remember to make a payment each month?
    My £5 supporters trust fund payment gets paid annually through paypal, so can be done. Maybe someone from the trust board or treasurer could point us in the right direction? ( @Weegie Addick maybe?)
  • edited February 20
    I think the problem is that regular payments like the Supporters' Trust subscription get initiated at the payee end (once you've authorised it originally) in the same way as a direct debit, rather than at the payer end like a standing order. While it might still be possible for Ray to do that via his paypal account, I suspect that may require him to have a business paypal account rather than the basic one most of us use, and is likely to incur fees I think. Another solution would be for Ray to set up a separate bank or building society account specifically for dog expenses, and then we could set up standing orders or do internet banking transfers straight to there. Where that might get tricky is that although you can get bank accounts that don't charge fees, the Ts & Cs usually specify that they're only for personal use, and this may fall foul of that. Definitely need some proper advice on the potential pitfalls here, so it's good to see that @bobmunro is already on it.
    In the mean time, I think you're just going to have to do the paypal payment manually. Sorry.
  • Can definitely count me in for a small monthly pledge if you move forward with it.
    Ditto, DC.

I intend to keep checking this thread & hope it's not too long before someone with better knowledge than the rest of us comes up with the best way to tackle the donating. 
  • Count me in Ray.
  • I believe recurring payments will require Ray to have a Business PayPal account.
  • @T_C_E

Ray, do you have a regular outlay to a dog food store or similar? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can we start a fund to get Ray some decent clobber? ;)
    You'll be laughing when I nick the Jacamo gig from Johnny Vegas!
  • Thank you Jack, whoever you maybe it’s appreciated. 👍
  • Training with Therapy dog wannabe Bowyer now 13 weeks old and coming along nicely
  • I assume you've seen this video doing the rounds on twitter already, but just in case you haven't...
    Hopefully Bowyer will make a better fist of it :-)
  • One of the reasons we take our training so seriously at a young age is so hopefully it doesn’t go wrong when they are older. As I said to a Mum at the school the other day, it’s not ok to let Bow’s jump up or bite your fingers just because he’s a puppy, because he’s not always going to be a puppy.