Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adam Matthews - gone to Cyprus, and is in ManU's Europa League group (p18)

Comments

• Options
    I don't particularly rate him highly and thought he was distinctly average tonight.
    I think he's a lower level Championship wing/full back.
    I'm presuming somehow I'm wrong as only covered end junior agrees.
    Mind you his knowledge of players is exceptional.
  • Options
    I don't particularly rate him highly and thought he was distinctly average tonight.
    What, exactly, do you see then that the vast majority of others don't?
  • Options
    Yep, you’re wrong. 
  • Options
    I/we saw him giving the ball away numerous times, especially in the first half.
    Not that he was the only one, far from it.
    I/we just think he's distinctly average.
    I thought it was an excellent Charlton performance, because we won away at Forest.
    But didn't think we played particularly well and let's be honest Forest were shocking.
    They must have crossed more balls off the pitch, than on the pitch. Loved it.
  • Options
    I/we saw him giving the ball away numerous times, especially in the first half.
    Not that he was the only one, far from it.
    I/we just think he's distinctly average.
    I thought it was an excellent Charlton performance, because we won away at Forest.
    But didn't think we played particularly well and let's be honest Forest were shocking.
    They must have crossed more balls off the pitch, than on the pitch. Loved it.
    I think that you are mistaken and I note that you state that if he did give the ball away, then he wasn't alone.
    I don't recall him standing out with regards to giving the ball away. What I do recall is him appearing very accomplished and being, without a doubt, our best right back/right wing back at the moment.
    It doesn't matter how good or bad Forest were, that is irrelevant with regard to Matthews' performance. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    He’s very good when he’s on his game but he’s inconsistent. For that reason, I don’t think he’ll ever be near Premier League level. He was twice responsible for Stoke goals at the weekend and would get torn to shreds in the top division.
  • Options

Er, we're a lower level Championship team so doesn't that make him a good fit?
  • Options
    Would keep him and Solly next season still... Right-Back is a position we dont need to worry about in my opinion

Matthews is good enough and appears fit enough to be first choice

Solly (if happy being No.2) is good enough to come in for freshness or if Adam did get injured
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's the best we have, although I quite like Oshilaja at orthodox right back. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Really like Matthews. 

He has had absolutely made the position his own. Solly is not now in the same league.

His career has also had some extreme highs and lows. He is credited with keeping Messi
    relatively quiet in Celtic's Champions League win but he also couldn't command a regular place in Sunderland's League One team last year and couldn't regain his place from a converted midfielder Luke O Nien.

I was interested to read in the programme that his partner lives in London and he seems to have settled well. 

He is worth retaining and giving a three year contract to in my view as one of two right backs. 
  • Options
    Would keep him and Solly next season still... Right-Back is a position we dont need to worry about in my opinion

Solly (if happy being No.2) is good enough to come in for freshness or if Adam did get injured
    Disagree, full backs are massively important in the modern game. If we can find two full backs who are defensively sound but really able to get up and down and the flanks and put in quality from wide areas, I think it could transform our attacking play and we’d score a lot more goals. Especially with Bowyer favouring a diamond or three man midfield. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Matthews was 28 last month, has proved his match fitness and should be in his prime.

He's got decent pedigree coming through the ranks at Cardiff City and plenty of Championship experience.
    Played 4 years for Celtic in the SPL and European Champions League games.

Add in 14 full international caps for Wales.

Matthews generally looks very comfortable in Bowyer's game set ups.
    It'll be a no-brainer to offer him a new contract.

PS: He can sing too.

He played in the Celtic win over Barcelona, and was one of their best players
  • Options
    I know what you mean. He’s been good for us, but I have no concerns around getting him signed up on a longer deal. If he’s genuinely a top end Championship player other clubs won’t miss that.

I could see him staying and being part of a team that does well, but the best full/wing backs can look more like wingers when they get forward. He’s better than Solly in that area but I expect there will be much better elsewhere in the league.

Looking at last years team of the year the two full backs were Norwich players with “blistering pace” who were strong defensively and threatening going forward. I wouldn’t describe any player we have in that way, though Doughty has the potential if that’s the position he ends up in.

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2019/4/24/championship-team-of-the-year
  • Options

Disagree, full backs are massively important in the modern game. If we can find two full backs who are defensively sound but really able to get up and down and the flanks and put in quality from wide areas, I think it could transform our attacking play and we’d score a lot more goals. Especially with Bowyer favouring a diamond or three man midfield. 
    Rarely you get both qualities in the same player - you need to get players to cover wing backs when they are attacking. Midfielders need to have ability to defend.

Jay Dasilva was certainly better attacking than defending and the same applies to Doughty. Traditional full backs have a different mindset.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Er, we're a lower level Championship team so doesn't that make him a good fit?
    Yes, it makes him a good fit if our ambition is lower level Championship.
    I thought we had ambitions to reach the Premier League.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than Solly and I think he's doing fine.
    I'm just surprised at how many fans are singing his praises so highly.

I'm more than happy for him to get another contract.
  • Options
    I like him. No nonsense old school style right back. Definitely Championship level.

Purrington was also good when he came on Tuesday. Think in a flat back 4 both are good enough for this league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No brainier for all parties. Deserved another contract and hope he wants to stay. Really impressed with him. 
  • Options
    Didnt put a step wrong today, when I saw him up against Eze I had a feeling he'd be the winner in the outcome between the two
  • Options
    He hasn't put a foot wrong since he arrived. Quality team player.
  • Options
    Have only seen a handful of matches on tv but his performance today reminded me of John Humphrey.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We’re looking to extend his contract, Gallen’s made contact with his agent.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-reveals-alfie-doughty-deal-trigger-confirms-talks-with-right-back/
    Southall failed to sign up Doughty and Matthews on super-duper longer contracts, hopefully now he's gone it will be sorted
  • Options
    The energy , strength and commitment to the cause he showed today was unreal , brilliant work
  • Options
    Two fantastic performances.  Sign him up who ever you are!
  • Options
    There was one moment where I thought he looked a little off - second half when their player went through a few of ours in the box and dragged a shot wide. Other than that was excellent, hope we can sign him but just have a feeling he might want to move to a team likely to be challenging for promotion.