Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adam Matthews - gone to Cyprus, and is in ManU's Europa League group (p18)

Comments

• Would love him to stay, but in truth he seems like a class above this division. Hard to imagine that one of the lower or even middle ranking Championship clubs wouldn't pick him up.

Do you reckon? He was good for us, but part of one of the worst defences in the league in a team that went down. I can see him going to a Luton but not much higher than that really.

One of those players that is perfect for us and found a place/team where he suited well, but his history doesn't suggest the offers are going to fly in for him.
  • If there asking the Efl if it's ok you gotta guess they've already spoken to Matthews 

• Do you reckon? He was good for us, but part of one of the worst defences in the league in a team that went down. I can see him going to a Luton but not much higher than that really.

One of those players that is perfect for us and found a place/team where he suited well, but his history doesn't suggest the offers are going to fly in for him.

Maybe. I think he could do better than that, but actually Luton was the place that I had thought as well. Their system puts a huge emphasis on their fullbacks and I could see him working out there.
  • You’d assume that he’s already agreed the deal we’ve offered him but we just need the EFL to approve or reject it, it’s most likely above the wage cap is my concern but with the EFL allowing those two signings it does make you feel optimistic they might let us get on with it.
  • I can see him staying. IIRC didn't he say in the programme that his girlfriend lived in London?

Let's hooe the EFL allow it. 
  • What a mess, trying to juggle squad building with our embargo and the salary cap
  • Would Love it, Love it if we could get that done. 
  • No chance there
  • Sponsored links:

• anybody any idea what he might have been on last year? I suspect he wants to stay, hadn't had a good spell before us and Bowyer obviously lifted him. 
  • Would easily be the best RB in league 1 if we can get this done. I'm guessing terms have already been agreed due to the statement about the EFL being released.
  • edited August 2020
    The EFL would probably ok the deal if we agreed to swallow the Wednesday decision.
  • The EFL would probably ok the deal if we agreed to swallow the Wednesday decision.
    This was my thought as well  

There is no way they will relegate the Massives but they might compensate us so that we can work around the salary cap. 
  • doesn’t make it legal. As we and wigan are under an embargo, I’ll use hull as an example. If they signed a player for £2m 2 years ago in £10k a week and wanted to sign him on another deal for £5k and the player wanted to sign, does that mean they can’t. What if Barnsley then offer £4K a week for the same contract length. That player is £104k worse off Over two years and hull have lost a sellable asset. I don’t see how this is legal.

if I was offered £60k a year but my governing body said I was only allowed to earn £55 I would expect them to pay the difference. 

Or another player restricted to £2k a week could give glen tamplin (spelling?) a call and offer to play non league for him for £3k. 

It’s stupid, unless I’m missing something?
  • Sounds like he wants to stay. Would be a brilliant signing
  • The EFL would probably ok the deal if we agreed to swallow the Wednesday decision.
    I have so fine by me lol
  • Would be very happy if we could get him for the new season. 1st time I saw him, at millwall, I thought he was awful. Looked shell shocked! But, he got better and better as the season went on, once he was up to speed fitness wise. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Matthews would very probably be the best right back in League 1. It would be great if we could keep him but it seems unlikely.

His injury record might cause some Championship sides to hesitate but I think he more than proved himself in the second half of the season.
    Well as the EFL have relegated us by bottling the Wednesday situation they owe us big time. 
  • doesn’t make it legal. As we and wigan are under an embargo, I’ll use hull as an example. If they signed a player for £2m 2 years ago in £10k a week and wanted to sign him on another deal for £5k and the player wanted to sign, does that mean they can’t. What if Barnsley then offer £4K a week for the same contract length. That player is £104k worse off Over two years and hull have lost a sellable asset. I don’t see how this is legal.

if I was offered £60k a year but my governing body said I was only allowed to earn £55 I would expect them to pay the difference. 

Or another player restricted to £2k a week could give glen tamplin (spelling?) a call and offer to play non league for him for £3k. 

It’s stupid, unless I’m missing something?
    It’s Tampon.
  • Too good for League One.

would be a brilliant deal if we can do it.
  • No downside for me if this can happen. It is mental isnt it that 2 days ago it looked like there wouldn't be a club now I honestly think we are worth a punt for a few quid on winning the league 
  • The removal of the spending cap for this summer and compensation for the financial loss of not being in The Championship are the very least the EFL should be doing for us unless they shock us all and relegate Sheff Weds before any cup draws and league fixtures are determined
  • Matthews is one of the best right backs in the championship, would be a our best bit of business that.
  • If we can convince him to stay and the EFL approve it, then a starting back 5 of:
    Amos
    Matthews, Oshilaja, Pearce, Purrington

Would be a fine foundation for league 1.

And that's not including Lockyer, Phillips and Doughty who you'd expect to leave this summer