Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adam Matthews - gone to Cyprus, and is in ManU's Europa League group (p18)

Comments

• Options
    He wasn't even a free transfer, wasn't he out of contract and without a club?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    He's improved tremendously and had another very good game.

Did anyone else notice him move out of position at the start of the second half, which left Hugil unmarked a few yards from Lockyer, when Hugil should have scored?

I'm not saying Lockyer shouldn't have got tighter and Matthews was possibly tracking someone, but he appeared to be going towards the ball with 3 other defenders, leaving Hugil with enough space to score.
  • Options
    He's improved tremendously and had another very good game.

Did anyone else notice him move out of position at the start of the second half, which left Hugil unmarked a few yards from Lockyer, when Hugil should have scored?

I'm not saying Lockyer shouldn't have got tighter and Matthews was possibly tracking someone, but he appeared to be going towards the ball with 3 other defenders, leaving Hugil with enough space to score.
    I'd argue that the fact that noticing him making a mistake being noteworthy suggests that he very rarely gets it wrong in the first place. Obviously he's not flawless and will drop a clanger eventually (just like every defender ever) but he's shaping up to be the best and most consistent fullback we've had since Solly was in his long-gone prime days and arguably even before that.
  • Options
    A right footed Mark Bowen for the TikTok generation.

i actually find him a little bit reminiscent of Luke Young. Not saying he’s that good, but similarly reliable, quicker than he looks and provides a good balance between attack and defence 
  • Options
    Absolutely no idea who they currently have at right back, but if Matthews carries this form into next season with us in the Championship he'd surely stand a very good chance of making the Wales squad for the Euro's.
  • Options
    Absolutely no idea who they currently have at right back, but if Matthews carries this form into next season with us in the Championship he'd surely stand a very good chance of making the Wales squad for the Euro's.
    Chris Gunter @ Reading
  • Options
    Chris Gunter @ Reading
    Always thought he was bang average. Matthews is a better all round full back for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whats the length of his contract?
  • Options
    Think he's only contracted to the end of the season
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Redhenry said:
    whats the length of his contract?
    @Redhenry According to the last updated squad list 2020 so I assume after the one month extensions currently agreed?

Edit; he signed a one year deal last September as per the OS;
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d7116a777629/done-deal-charlton-complete-signing-of-wales-international-adam-matthews
  • Options
    I was amazed at how fast he seemed to be in both the last two games. Didn’t remember him having that sort of pace at all.

good work fella. 
    Love the determination he shows whenever someone knocks the ball past him. Feels like no one is gonna beat him for pace. 
  • Options
    He makes mistakes but has enough pace to recover. I am minded of Wiggins who probably had a little more pace, but when he lost it after his injury it affected his game massively. Before it, I thought he was headed for the Premier League. At this moment, Matthews is looking like an inspired signing.
  • Options
    I know Matthews signed a 1 year deal last September ..... but I wonder if there also was a 1 year option?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I know Matthews signed a 1 year deal last September ..... but I wonder if there also was a 1 year option?

Let's hope so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just can’t see it happening. 

I’d love to keep him but a Championship club would be stupid not to snap him up.

I know he has potential injury problems but he’s one of the most consistent RBs I’ve seen at the Valley and is far too good for league one.
  • Options
    Wow that would be epic if we could, makes you wonder if we've already offered terms to him and just need this approval?

Wonder if he's not had the interest he expected
  • Options
    My player of the year last season, would love to keep him. We aren't gonna find someone even half as good with the budget restrictions
  • Options
    Surely he won't sign a salary capped deal with us

He could probably get more signing for Wycombe!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Would love him to stay, but in truth he seems like a class above this division. Hard to imagine that one of the lower or even middle ranking Championship clubs wouldn't pick him up.
  • Options
    Bit confused now, has he decided he wants to stay at Charlton and we need to know whether we can re-sign him, or are we asking the EFL if they'll let us offer him a new contract after which he might still say no?

Is this also the first mention made on the OS to our transfer embargo? Seems strange to see them reference it
  • Options
    Surely he won't sign a salary capped deal with us

He could probably get more signing for Wycombe!
    Unless our appeal to the EFL is that he was with us before so can be on higher terms perhaps?
  • Options
    Guaranteed team of the season. Would be an unfair advantage for us over the 23 other teams in the league. 
  • Options
    Keeping him would be a huge bonus