Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adam Matthews - gone to Cyprus, and is in ManU's Europa League group (p18)

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Takes the safe option every time, rarely plays the forward pass, even when it's on and the opposition push up and put us under pressure. Has also cost us defensively a number of times. We have two very poor options at right back.
  • He’s been absolute gash this season, but still the better option out of him and Gunter who has all the same flaws but more so. 

Who’s the regular right back for the U23s? I find it hard to believe there isn’t someone at the club who can offer a bit more than our two Cymru Calamities, even if it’s only playing with a bit of bloody enthusiasm and like they give a shit and being willing to cross the halfway line. A young player can’t make any worse basic errors than the type this pair keep turning in. 
  • He’s been absolute gash this season, but still the better option out of him and Gunter who has all the same flaws but more so. 

Who’s the regular right back for the U23s? I find it hard to believe there isn’t someone at the club who can offer a bit more than our two Cymru Calamities, even if it’s only playing with a bit of bloody enthusiasm and like they give a shit and being willing to cross the halfway line. A young player can’t make any worse basic errors than the type this pair keep turning in. 
    He made some good interceptions in the match.

Charlie Barker has been playing right back for the under 23s and has gone backwards in his development.
  • DOUCHER said:
    iaitch said:
    If only we had Chris Solly right now.... 
    What someone who doesn't fulfil his contract?
    Think Solly has a very different view on what happened there.
    I’m sure he has but unless I’ve missed it we don’t know yet……do we? 
    Fair, but it’s a bit harsh to dismiss him as someone who doesn’t fulfil contracts in the basis of the club’s account of events. It’s fairly well known that Solly was unhappy with the club’s version - Bowyer’s version - and disputes that he had refused to return. This is why there was no tidy end to his career at Charlton and he didn’t get the recognition it deserved - Covid obviously being an aggravating factor. At best, there is a dispute between him and Bowyer about what happened.
    he should come out publicly and put the record straight coz most think he's as bad as taylor although shot himself in the foot far worse 

There is a thread on this. Talk of nda’s, pfa action etc. Do t know what is true and what isn’t.

Said before I’d try Elewere there. Would bring that enthusiasm, add height and he has ability on the ball.
  • What on earth was he doing showing the Pompey winger to the inside channel onto his stronger foot? Basics…
    It was poor but there was an runner on the outside he had to think about. As usual had no cover. 
  • I’d love to see a compilation of his first touch. 

I feel like 80% of the time he manages to kill any momentum we had before the ball reaches him.

He’s not slow in the typical sense (actually can run quite quick when he wants to) but he is so pedestrian on the ball at times and it brings everyone else down with him.
  • I think Matthews is a very good right back at this level but not a right wing back .. althrough he was MOM v Wimbledon his two key mistakes in last two home games really shows he not a wingback and if this is the way JJ wants to play can’t see where Matthews fits in 
  • I know his primary role is to defend but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had put in more decent crosses than any of the other players who have played as wing backs or wingers this season 
  • Eating my dinner I see this thread pop up thought I’d have a goosey from page 10/11 when it was announced we resigned him, please have a look it’s brilliant every one of us rated him so highly.

”one of the best in the league”
    ”brilliant signing”

Light hearted giggle at how football changes so quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do I think he’s been great. No.
    Do I think he’s been as diabolical as people are making out. Also No. 

One thing I really don’t like, and find worrying, is that although he can sometimes put a decent cross in, on the whole he should not be the focus and major outlet of our attacking play. 

Not sure it was trepidation by Castillo. But I’m certain in our lopsided 3-5-2 he looked to be the more defensive of the wing backs, with Morgan often occupying that left side further up the pitch and Gunter being more of the right back when Matthews was attacking. 

I know currently due to injuries we are not bereft of options. But surely you can’t go into a game wanting him to be performing that role. It’s asking for trouble. Just take the hit and play the inconsistent DJ, or put Leko there and have Lee up front with Burstow instead. Anything else really. 
  • Do I think he’s been great. No.

One thing I really don’t like, and find worrying, is that although he can sometimes put a decent cross in, on the whole he should not be the focus and major outlet of our attacking play. 

Not sure it was trepidation by Castillo. But I’m certain in our lopsided 3-5-2 he looked to be the more defensive of the wing backs, with Morgan often occupying that left side further up the pitch and Gunter being more of the right back when Matthews was attacking. 

I know currently due to injuries we are not bereft of options. But surely you can’t go into a game wanting him to be performing that role. It’s asking for trouble. Just take the hit and play the inconsistent DJ, or put Leko there and have Lee up front with Burstow instead. Anything else really. 
    Burstow has done his hamstring. We will probably not see him playing for us again.
  • Redrobo said:
    Do I think he’s been great. No.

Burstow has done his hamstring. We will probably not see him playing for us again.
    Indeed, though I was just talking about yesterday match in isolation.

Next match, who knows what the team will be, with all the injuries we have. But wouldn’t be surprised to see a 4-5-1. 
  • It’s ironic that he looked much better in the championship that he does in league 1. 
  • Just looks like a player going through the motions to me. Seeing out another contract and getting one year closer to retirement. Spending 3 seasons here all on 1 year deals doesn't sit right with me.

Can be very good on his day, but makes too many casual mistakes for me. Slack passes inside to opposition players, too easily brushed off the ball sometimes and then just gives up instead of making a committed effort to recover (seen a few examples of this in recent matches). Just all looks to me like a player missing that extra couple of % that comes from drive and determination to succeed and is so important when matches are usually settled by fine margins,

I think he epitomises one of the fatal flaws in this squad, there is talent there (at least in some of them) but not enough of them look like they want it enough and there's no true leaders out there dragging it out of the more reluctant ones.
    Agree and exactly why we shouldn’t keep him. Not every signing will be a big success but we can at least avoid making the same mistake again.
  • Scoham said:
    It’s ironic that he looked much better in the championship that he does in league 1. 
    Pratley was the same - at the higher level they spend more time defending and less on the ball and in attack. It suited Pratley and maybe it suits Matthews.
    I think Matthews just wanted it more at a higher level. Number of times a player would look to be past him but he'd somehow get back to make the tackle. That doesn't seem to happen now. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I like him. No nonsense old school style right back. Definitely Championship level.

Purrington was also good when he came on Tuesday. Think in a flat back 4 both are good enough for this league.
    This remains spot on.
    Unbelievable player. Can’t believe we got him on a free transfer. Bowyer & Gallen need to get his contract sorted ASAP. Cannot let him leave on a free. 
    cafc4life said:
    He really is class
    This isn’t to dig any of these posters out, but the last I had opened this thread was June 2020 and these were a few of the posts at the time.  Just saw them and thought, wow, how things have changed so much in 2 years 
  • Sponsored links:

• He was originally a stop gap, remember that? Why we signed him again, who knows?
  • cabbles said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I like him. No nonsense old school style right back. Definitely Championship level.

Purrington was also good when he came on Tuesday. Think in a flat back 4 both are good enough for this league.
    This remains spot on.
    Unbelievable player. Can’t believe we got him on a free transfer. Bowyer & Gallen need to get his contract sorted ASAP. Cannot let him leave on a free. 
    cafc4life said:
    He really is class
    This isn’t to dig any of these posters out, but the last I had opened this thread was June 2020 and these were a few of the posts at the time.  Just saw them and thought, wow, how things have changed so much in 2 years 
    My account was hacked that day. 

As I say, wasn’t intended in a dig on any of you.  I am sure all of us have posted something at some point saying someone’s good who turns out to be poor and vice versa.  

I thought it was a great way to show how up and down football is.  

It also begs the question is it Matthews or the other players around him? It’s probably both.  Another good example is Leko.  I was very happy when he came back, but now I don’t want him anywhere near the team.  He looks useless and like he can’t be bothered.  We never saw anything from Gunter.  Came with a great reputation and over 500 games at one club!  

Really baffling sometimes 
  • Redhenry said:
    He was originally a stop gap, remember that? Why we signed him again, who knows?
    We know why, Adkins had a good run of 10 games so it convinced him, TS, Gallen etc that players like Matthews were worth keeping and we just needed a few good signings to form a promotion winning squad.

The bigger risk now is relegation. At least there’s little risk we’ll think Matthews, Gunter etc are potentially worth new contracts.
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Dazzler21 said:

This remains spot on.
    cafc4life said:
    He really is class

As I say, wasn’t intended in a dig on any of you.  I am sure all of us have posted something at some point saying someone’s good who turns out to be poor and vice versa.  

I thought it was a great way to show how up and down football is.  

It also begs the question is it Matthews or the other players around him? It’s probably both.  Another good example is Leko.  I was very happy when he came back, but now I don’t want him anywhere near the team.  He looks useless and like he can’t be bothered.  We never saw anything from Gunter.  Came with a great reputation and over 500 games at one club!  

Really baffling sometimes 
    I think he is probably just a very limited player who probably found the additional motivation for an extra season when playing in a higher division. Personally, think playing with better players motivated him a bit more and became average when surrounded by average players. Instead of someone Gallagher who challenged everyone to improve their standards. Matthews probably just went along with it.
  • I think I really do respect Matthews' ability to turn it on right before his contract comes up for review. I think he might have pushed it too far this time, but no doubt some other L1 team will be desperate in August and give him a 1 year deal. He'll mostly be injured or bad and then the last bit of the season he'll be brilliant and get a new deal that he won't sign until his three sumer holidays are over. Until very recently I was still thinking it was worth giving him another year because we already have to buy about 15 fullbacks as it is, but he's been taking the piss a little bit too much recently. I imagine last 4 games of the season he'll be like a young Maldini again in case someone is watching, so we have that to look forward to at least.
  • cabbles said:
    Dazzler21 said:

This remains spot on.
    cafc4life said:
    He really is class

His desire and determination to succeed as a footballer have rapidly decreased. 
  • I think my main issues watching Matthews is that he never takes a chance by running in some space that will make the defender or midfielder think a bit or allow space for someone else. He is predetermined to play in the safest way which means that he must be a joy to play against. This is either an issue of confidence or motivation, if the latter then we need to replace him.
  • Watching Quest yesterday, Dijksteel did some great attacking work which led to Boro's winner over WBA, something our current full/wing backs rarely do