Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Ledley - training with Bristol Rovers (p12)

Comments

• Options
    Good grief!  I assume it is the similarly named Barcelona wonderkid, signed for 100m on 250,000 per week, or a few on here are going to be a tad perplexed?
  • Options
    Saw it on twitter posted by Acworth.

So taking it with a pinch of salt as its him
    Not covered by one of your watsapp groups then Pauline :-)
  • Options
    Ledley would certainly fit in well our other Welsh players! 

Weird that he hasn't had a club for nearly a year
    Really? Thats quite a surprise, always thought he was a decent player. Maybe wage demands?
  • Options
    I hope this is true but doubt that it is. At his best he is more than good enough at this level. He is another one that we used to get linked with towards the end of the Curbishley era. 

I suspect Ledley needs a club desperately and we need cover on the bench for an intensive December fixture list. I would rather have him on the bench than the likes of Vennings. As Pratley has demonstrated we need experience to supplement our youngsters.

We could then review the arrangement in January, so it could like a trial but with the difference that he would feature. 
  • Options
    More likely to be Jordan Mutch?
  • Options
    Deadly Ledley .. I hope we have resisted the temptation
    Like for like replacement for Kayal?
  • Options
    The answers to two simple questions for any players we sign this week would suffice:

(1) Do we need him in the short/medium term?
    (2) Do LB and SG want him?

If the answer is "yes" to both then we have to believe he will be a useful addition.

What then happens in January will determine where we are going this season and signings post May will give us an indication of the longer term aspirations of the new owners
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What the likes of kayal have proven is, although a good player, without much recent first team football or a decent preseason, these guys can't come in and pick up the pace. They breakdown, get injured, lucky to get a few games out of them. We have been lucky with matthews, but hes a few years younger. 
    I agree, it's a huge risk. On paper we might need another body but if that body isn't fit enough for 6+ weeks it's pointless. 

I wouldn't say we have been lucky with Matthews, he's barely played. 
  • Options
    What the likes of kayal have proven is, although a good player, without much recent first team football or a decent preseason, these guys can't come in and pick up the pace. They breakdown, get injured, lucky to get a few games out of them. We have been lucky with matthews, but hes a few years younger. 
    I agree, it's a huge risk. On paper we might need another body but if that body isn't fit enough for 6+ weeks it's pointless. 

Matthews has played the full 90 in 3 out of the last 4 matches now, so does seem to be up to a reasonable level of fitness. 
  • Options

Matthews has played the full 90 in 3 out of the last 4 matches now, so does seem to be up to a reasonable level of fitness. 
    Yes now he is but he has been here 3 months. The point being that we signed a player who didn't have a preseason and it has taken him 10 weeks before he could play more than one game in a row. If we signed someone like Ledley now, yes it's another body for December but in reality how much is he going to play?
  • Options
    The likes of Ledley would probably be a sub and might start in the FA Cup game. 
  • Options
    At the age of 31, Ledley had his contract terminated by mutual consent last January.

Why was that? Normally it's because a player isn't playing regularly, therefore releasing him to sign immediately for a new club. But in this case, Ledley didn't sign for anyone.

Was he no longer in the manager's plans, had fallen out with him or persistent injury issues?

And what has he done with himself since last January? 
    Has he played non-League to keep himself fit, has he been dealing with a medical matter or has the time just slipped through his fingers?

Something doesn't add up. 

• Options
    If he hasnt been playing for almost a year then it's a big fat NO from me. Even players who had a partial pre-season such as Reeves were never fully fit. I can't see Ledley being at least half up to speed.

I'd rather play a youngster.
    Who though? We already are playing the youngsters!
  • Options
    Bit of a fall from grace really.
    He was a starter for the Wales side that made the Euro 2016 semi finals. Then within 3 years he can't even get a club?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Albie Morgan over Ledley all day long. 
    Without stating the obvious, Albie is a serious talent. You don’t find many players with the technique that kid has.

Would rather him not be loaned out for the sake of Ledley. For example, look at Karel it was just a waste.  
  • Options
    Ledley had a trial with MLS side Chicago Fire in November.

That's the end of my Joe Ledley knowledge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was training with Cardiff recently to help keep himself fit.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Errrrr
  • Options
    Couldn't we just register the management team?
  • Options
    Right now Cardiff will see for themselves how good he still is - if they don't want him, why do we?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Right now Cardiff will see for themselves how good he still is - if they don't want him, why do we?

Because we only have two fit midfielders.

I'd offer him a contract to the middle of January. We get an extra body for the Christmas period - a half fit Ledley is probably still a better option than a someone like Vennings who is no where near first team ready - he gets some fitness and in the shop window. If he does well we can extend to the end of the season or he can get a better deal elsewhere. If he won't take such a short term deal I guess we look elsewhere, but I think an arrangement like that is a low risk gamble on both sides and both parties stand to gain from it if it goes well.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    i suppose it could be a pay as you play deal. Then it would be a no brainer if he is available now. Mind you I doubt it as we haven't heard from other sources! Or are we waiting for takeover to be approved? I don't know :)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I'd offer him a contract to the middle of January. We get an extra body for the Christmas period - a half fit Ledley is probably still a better option than a someone like Vennings who is no where near first team ready - he gets some fitness and in the shop window. If he does well we can extend to the end of the season or he can get a better deal elsewhere. If he won't take such a short term deal I guess we look elsewhere, but I think an arrangement like that is a low risk gamble on both sides and both parties stand to gain from it if it goes well.
    Although Ledley, who apparently hasn't played a League match since August 2018, is hardly likely to hit the ground running. How long would we have to wait before he's up to speed?  He's 32 already - how long before he'd succomb to a random injury because his body wouldn't initially cope with the intensity of Bowyer's gameplan? In any case, if he were to be signed, it seems like for a while we'd still have only 2 fit midfielders.

Maybe Ledley was on the radar before Bowyer and Gallen knew the takeover was going to happen?
    Perhaps now they are looking at different options?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Although Ledley, who apparently hasn't played a League match since August 2018, is hardly likely to hit the ground running. How long would we have to wait before he's up to speed?  He's 32 already - how long before he'd succomb to a random injury because his body wouldn't initially cope with the intensity of Bowyer's gameplan? In any case, if he were to be signed, it seems like for a while we'd still have only 2 fit midfielders.

Maybe Ledley was on the radar before Bowyer and Gallen knew the takeover was going to happen?
    Perhaps now they are looking at different options?
    He still could be a short term solution. Bowyer might have £200m to sign Pogba and Modric, but that wouldn't be of any use until the window opens!