Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Not sure why Lapado not on our radar, similar but cheaper. 
  • Not sure why Lapado not on our radar, similar but cheaper. 
    Only signed for Rotherham in June
  • If we are still where we are in January and Peterborough not doing so well, I would love us to make another bid for Ivan Toney, the rotation between him, Taylor and Bonne would be excellent 
    We should be bidding for him anyway assuming Rolly is still happy to spend. He was happy to spend £4m in August and one would hope that he may be prepared to chip in a bit more if we are there or there about.

The problem being is he is mad as a box of frogs so good luck to Bows and co negotiating that. 
  • We don’t need a striker if Taylor stays. Him and Bonne would be first pairing at the minute and with Leko, Aneke and Hemed as options it’s not a position we need to strengthen. 

To be honest if nobody leaves I’m happy with our 23 man squad. We have Amos, Oshilija, Page, Lapslie, Kayal, Hemed, Oztumer, Matthews and Aneke who have all barely played. 7 of them are summer signings so I wouldn’t be rushing out signing anyone. 

The biggest concern is losing someone like Cullen or Taylor. If that happens we need to adequately replace which will be tough on a small budget. 
    I beg to differ, neither of the above are strikers and neither could hit a cow's arse with a banjo ...
    Bonne has come on far more quickly than I expected which has partially allayed my fears, but yes I thought after August that we were one striker/attacking player light and maybe had one midfield player too many
  • What's happening with Maddison at posh ? Goals and talent. Come on Roly. 
    Maddison and Toney please. 
    Push for promotion. 
  • markmc68 said:
    What's happening with Maddison at posh ? Goals and talent. Come on Roly. 
    Maddison and Toney please. 
    Push for promotion. 
    Don't think Madison would suit us, his attitude stinks. 
  • The fact of the matter is, unless we sell someone, £2,000,000 is probably beyond RD's budget anyway.

No way he'll want to spend loads of dosh in January, whatever our position in the league.

A few hundred grand maybe, but not in the millions...
  • We we will have to sell before we can spend. Suspect Taylor will go, so we can bring in a couple of new faces. This has been the Charlton way since I saw my first game in 1959. 
  • Thing is with Maddison, I was talking to Danny Butterfield when I took the MK Dons team away about him. How has no one snapped him up etc. His words were he’s a good player on his day. Isn’t consistent enough, he can’t do it day in day out. I suppose he’s right. What do I know? I’m only a supporter. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Good article about Preston here

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2019/oct/30/preston-north-end-alex-neil-peter-risdale-championship-football-league

Proof we dont need to go out and splash £2m on a player IF Gallen can do a good job scouting as proven with Bonne
  • James86 said:
    Thing is with Maddison, I was talking to Danny Butterfield when I took the MK Dons team away about him. How has no one snapped him up etc. His words were he’s a good player on his day. Isn’t consistent enough, he can’t do it day in day out. I suppose he’s right. What do I know? I’m only a supporter. 
    small world .. I was chatting to a bloke the other day who is a good friend of Danny Butterfield .. (he was out with his two young boys .. alas, one in a Liverpool, the other in  Man U kit .. I asked him if he had trouble keeping them from rucking all the time)
  • Good article about Preston here

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2019/oct/30/preston-north-end-alex-neil-peter-risdale-championship-football-league

Proof we dont need to go out and splash £2m on a player IF Gallen can do a good job scouting as proven with Bonne
    A well run club. I remember watching the Quest show at the end of last season tipping them to do well this season, Patrick made a good choice

Interesting that a club with Risdale involved is being run in such a sensible manner, I guess he's learned his lesson!
  • edited October 2019
    Interesting that PNE are held up as an example of a very well run championship club when their 17/18 annual turnover was £13.3M and their current wage bill is 100% of this. 

Appreciate this makes them one of the more stable Championship clubs but wages at 100% turnover is still a mental way to run a business.

i suspect their wage bill is significantly highet than ours and wages paid probably holds us back more than transfer fees.
  • James86 said:
    Thing is with Maddison, I was talking to Danny Butterfield when I took the MK Dons team away about him. How has no one snapped him up etc. His words were he’s a good player on his day. Isn’t consistent enough, he can’t do it day in day out. I suppose he’s right. What do I know? I’m only a supporter. 
    small world .. I was chatting to a bloke the other day who is a good friend of Danny Butterfield .. (he was out with his two young boys .. alas, one in a Liverpool, the other in  Man U kit .. I asked him if he had trouble keeping them from rucking all the time)
    I did ask him about his time with us too. He was honest and said he didn’t want to actually come and play for us. He only came on the promise the following season he’d be first choice for Palace. There was a lot of negativity around the club at the time, a lot of players supposedly feigning injury so they didn’t have to play as they had no fight in them, a certain Matt Holland was mentioned along with a couple more I can’t think of. 
  • edited October 2019
    Yeah cos a player is going to tell you all that in one conversation...
    Misread the post
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah cos a player is going to tell you all that in one conversation...
    Why not? You get on talking terms with all the players and coaching staff when i take the Dons team to away games? Can have a long conversation in a 4 hour drive sometimes. 
  • Apologies I read that as though Butterfield told you this when you were taking the Charlton team to play MK Dons away. If it's more recent it's more reasonable to believe.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Apologies I read that as though Butterfield told you this when you were taking the Charlton team to play MK Dons away. If it's more recent it's more reasonable to believe.
    No, I only ever do the Dons. Only Charlton connection is me and obviously Butterfield, Reeves. Even took the pee out of Izale McLeod once or twice. Big money signing, let down. He likes to quickly change the subject and doesn’t talk about his time with us on the other hand. 
  • We we will have to sell before we can spend. Suspect Taylor will go, so we can bring in a couple of new faces. This has been the Charlton way since I saw my first game in 1959. 
    I'm pretty hopeful Lyle won't go in January, considering that him Bonne and himself are ripping defenders to pieces in November and December 😃
    Plus Lord Bowyer will do everything in his power to keep Lyle because even though we have done brilliant without him due to injury, he is still a very key player for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    If we are still where we are in January and Peterborough not doing so well, I would love us to make another bid for Ivan Toney, the rotation between him, Taylor and Bonne would be excellent 
    We should be bidding for him anyway assuming Rolly is still happy to spend. He was happy to spend £4m in August and one would hope that he may be prepared to chip in a bit more if we are there or there about.

The problem being is he is mad as a box of frogs so good luck to Bows and co negotiating that. 
    I think we will go for him again in January and problem? Bowyer and Co don't know what problems are 😂😂
  • I thought we were buying Toney?
    Very good player imo.
  • Worth trying to get Martinelli on loan?
    We would walk the league with Taylor and Martinelli up front

Doubt they'd loan him. Got more chance of Nketiah in January I'd say
    Poor old Macauley Bonne! Scores 5 in 6 starts, but is cast aside in the belief a LOAN signing will do better than him...

Why do so many of you have no faith in the players the club already has?
    If another Striker comes in then Bonne deserves to keep his place if he's still in form

At present though we've only really got him and Taylor as our Strikers banging in the goals

We need another option as Leko and Hemed arent being consistent enough in that area
  • If we do no business at all in Jan i'll be happy
    Poor old Macauley Bonne! Scores 5 in 6 starts, but is cast aside in the belief a LOAN signing will do better than him...

If another Striker comes in then Bonne deserves to keep his place if he's still in form

At present though we've only really got him and Taylor as our Strikers banging in the goals

We need another option as Leko and Hemed arent being consistent enough in that area
    Not many clubs have 2 strikers that can regularly score. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Worth trying to get Martinelli on loan?

Not many clubs have 2 strikers that can regularly score. 
    We've been spoilt these past few seasons