Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Davison - Sold to Wimbledon (pg 13)

Comments

• I've long thought this lad has got ability and potential and, with luck, this can be his breakthrough season and he can go on and score a good few goals and get himself noticed.

Then, as I believe he is only contracted until the end of this season, he can walk away and sign a lucrative contract elsewhere. 

I so wish we could sort these contract situations out better.
  • I've long thought this lad has got ability and potential and, with luck, this can be his breakthrough season and he can go on and score a good few goals and get himself noticed.

Then, as I believe he is only contracted until the end of this season, he can walk away and sign a lucrative contract elsewhere. 

I so wish we could sort these contract situations out better.
    He has an optional 1 year extension so hopefully we can activate that while negotiating a longer term deal.
  • Gone on loan to Swindon, be shocked if we see him again. 
  • Very best wishes to Josh. I reckon he will give his all as he usually does.
  • Best wishes to the lad. Hope he does well. Future is at league 2 at best IMHO but he’s a good honest trier. 
  • Good luck to him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Good chance for him to stake a place in a promotion chasing league two team. He’s got lots of decent qualities, so if there is a player of the standard we require in there, this will be the best chance he has to prove it. 
  • Good luck Josh - think the Swindon fans will love you.
  • Means Stockley will be fit soon? 
  • So that's Williams and Davison to keep an eye on at Swindon now!
  • edited January 2022
    InwouSillybilly said:
    Best wishes to the lad. Hope he does well. Future is at league 2 at best IMHO but he’s a good honest trier. 
    I would have said the same about Smith and Pigott and I think he has more than both of those showed at the same age .  I think he’s carrying too much weight - muscle or otherwise, however ; he looked much leaner when we were in the championship.

edit : Hanlon too . 
  • Hope he does well and finds his level
  • arny23394 said:
    Good luck Josh - think the Swindon fans will love you.
    Not with that haircut.
    Oi nothing wrong with longer hair.
  • about about 3or4 to off load now hopefully get some Decent replacements in
  • edited January 2022
    Good move for all. 

Started 9 league games for us this season. Was seen as Stockley's replacement who is out injured. We've seen enough of Stockley's replacement and now he's on loan in L2.

We are making slow progress. I wonder whose idea it was to have Davison as 2nd choice forward and Albie as our No10 going into this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sensible move, I wish Josh the best. 
  • Best result for all … good luck to him 
  • Good luck to him
  • Best wishes Josh, I believe you will get your confidence back and really smash it down in Wiltshire, the best of British to you👍👍👍
  • mendonca said:
    Good move for all. 

Started 9 league games for us this season. Was seen as Stockley's replacement who is out injured. We've seen enough of Stockley's replacement and now he's on loan in L2.

We are making slow progress. I wonder whose idea it was to have Davison as 2nd choice forward and Albie as our No10 going into this season.
    I know who's it wasn't. 
  • Scored 2 goals in a 3-0 win for Swindon yesterday
  • It was a penalty and a shot he managed to block, it hit the back of his foot and looped over the keeper in a spectacular fashion, but still
  • sam3110 said:
    Scored 2 goals in a 3-0 win for Swindon yesterday
    Of course he did.
  • Every player has his level. A striker's level is far easier to quantify simply because, unless he is a Carl Leaburn type forward who will create, by virtual of his physical presence and team work opportunities for others, it is how many goals that forward scores.

League 2 is Josh Davison's level. As he is still only 22 he might, in the same way, as Joe Pigott has, eventually have successful seasons at League 1 level. But even Pigott has struggled now to earn a starting spot at Ipswich.

If we want a similar example of someone who is a League 2 striker and not good enough to hold down a place at a higher level then Omar Bogle is your man:  

National League:   81 in 165
    League 2:              21 in 30   
    League 1:              10 in 68
    Championship:        8 in 50

So I hope that Davison has a good career and that he proves me wrong. But if we are looking at promotion next season and playing in the Championship the year after, then Davison is not the solution.

• Davison got lucky with his first, and the second was a penalty. Bogle's goal on the other hand was a really classy finish