Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst Prime Minister Ever?

For most of my adult life I'd have had no hesitation in naming Thatch as the worst. Then Blair started his illegal war, immediately nullifying any good he'd done at home and pushing himself into poll position. Cameron not only presided over austerity but ridiculously started the Brexit fiasco. May made it worse by jumping on the "will of the people argument" and triggering A50 without a clue what would happen next. But now, Johnson, utterly hopeless Johnson. Useless, untrustworthy liar who cares for no-one but himself. Surely, none can be worse.

Ironically two that got lampooned the most whilst in office, Major and Brown, seem to be incomparably better with hindsight.  

So, who do you reckon?

Comments

• Theresa May.  But ask me again when Boris Johnson has left office.  Say, next month. 
  • No contest in my lifetime. Gordon Brown. 
  • Without shadow of a doubt, Johnson. It's taken him six weeks to destroy the majority he inherited and he's now left with the choice of backing down or breaking the law.

The combination of Cameron, May and Johnson are still supported by certain media outlets but they've achieved nothing... except introduce the very same conflict and turbulence visible in Italian politics.

What a journey?!
  • I dunno. Johnson may come out of this looking like a buffoon but he hasn't actually done any damage. Many of your previous PMs have made decisions that have killed British, Irish and non British commonwealth/empire/dominion citizens, as well as those in other parts of the world in wars such as the ones in the middle east. Johnson can't hurt anyone if he can't win a single vote.
  • You can’t really compare them to get to one winner in this competition. Some haven’t had the time or opportunity to achieve what others did, although it is bizarre that Brown, who I couldn’t believe was our ‘leader’ at the time, is now someone I’d take in a heartbeat over the trio that followed. 
  • Th*tcher, still makes me seethe after 25 years.

Johnson may test this though. 
  • Cameron.......not even close. He is responsible for the single biggest self inflicted disaster to befall any nation in the last 1000 years. 
  • Shooters nailed it. 
  • We should have a poll for the worst opposition too! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cameron for me - for one massive error. 
  • Thatcher, Cameron, Johnson.
  • edited September 2019
    To be fair, those that followed Cameron haven't had it easy. From a neutral stand point, May shouldn't have called the election she did, then after she did, she should have taken a cross party approach to negotiations. 

In terms of Johnson, their tactics have on the face of it been so stupid and reckless that he may be playing the election game. It could be argued that there would always have been a battle for Conservative party as long as the ERG are within it so Johnson isn't really to blame. I hope the party finds a way to banish them to the Brexit party where they belong.
  • Another Boris Johnson press conference, another statesman like performance...

• Worst  Blair 
    2nd worst May
  • Harvey's mate 
    Go into politics as a spin doctor. 
  • I didn't see much of Thatcher as she was out before I reached voting age.

Of those around since I reached 18, probably Brown, followed by Blair. Although that may be a little unfair as Boris is only a few weeks in and making a pigs ear of it already so I reckon he could go down as worst if we revisit this in a years time.

Sadly I voted for Blair twice so maybe i'm not a very good judge :D some of his failed financials no doubt came from Brown.

I'm not sure comparing thatchers p1ssing up the wall the north sea oil revenues compares to Browns gold give away?
  • Not a difficult question to answer.

Thatcher - my flesh creeps just typing her name.
  • Hi @Rob7Lee I am interested in your answer.  What, specifically did Brown do that makes you think he's the worst Prime Minister ever?  And what shining, spectacular shafts of brilliance did Theresa May emanate that makes you think she's not in the worst two? 
  • Sponsored links:

• People bang on about the gold in the same way they bang on about tuition fees and the Lib Dem’s.
  • How much did the gold giveaway cost us?
  • https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/gordon-brown-gold-reserves-sold-economy-analysis-financial-bullion-a8909611.html

Firstly Brown was Chancellor when this happened not PM, secondly oil reserves dished out in tax breaks to rich was tens of billions. Contrast with Norway where every citizen is effectively a Kroner millionaire.
  • Going back a bit further, and probably not in most of our lifetimes, Neville Chamberlain and Anthony Eden must be regarded as failures as PMs for appeasement and the Suez crisis respectively. In recent years they've all got their negative points but Cameron needlessly initiating a huge crisis in the country takes some beating.
  • Can't be right @CharltonMadrid the three you name are  all Tories.

• Definately not Brown.  He was against an EU referendum as he could see the problems that would create!  so was spot on.
  • Going back a bit further, and probably not in most of our lifetimes, Neville Chamberlain and Anthony Eden must be regarded as failures as PMs for appeasement and the Suez crisis respectively. In recent years they've all got their negative points but Cameron needlessly initiating a huge crisis in the country takes some beating.
    There's a good argument that says Chamberlain was stalling for time and that given the state of Britain's unpreparedness for war, anything else would have been suicide.
  • The first prime minister ever to have been found to have lied to the Head of State must be in with a shout of taking top spot soon...
  • I think today is the day Boris takes pole position. He’s really thrown down the gauntlet to whomever comes next.