Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    Talal said:
    I'm not sure we'll have the strength in the middle though for a traditional 4-4-2. Pratley and Morgan is asking for trouble. In my opinion would need to be a 5 man midfield. 
    Osh and Pratley in the middle. Doughty left, Mathews right in a 4-4-2
    Still think they'd get through too easily. As Oshilaja isn't really a midfielder I think we'd need another body in the centre. 

• Had to come from behind for the draw so let’s hope they got a few knocks as well.
  • Whisper it quietly, but the best formation for Saturday might be 4-2-3-1
    Dills
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce (or Sarr) Purrington
    Pratley Deji
    Leko  Morgan  Doughty
    Bonne
    Nothing wrong with 4231

Just don't play it ever week.
     Unless you're unbeaten in 10!
  • Talal said:
    Redrobo said:
    Talal said:
    I'm not sure we'll have the strength in the middle though for a traditional 4-4-2. Pratley and Morgan is asking for trouble. In my opinion would need to be a 5 man midfield. 
    Osh and Pratley in the middle. Doughty left, Mathews right in a 4-4-2
    Still think they'd get through too easily. As Oshilaja isn't really a midfielder I think we'd need another body in the centre. 

Hi Talal, I was just throwing that thought out. I think you may well be right as SW play 4-5-1 and they did tonight. I would get as many fit senior players into the side as I could.
  • Obviously offers a lot more going forward than Purrington but I thought he defended pretty well too. Has that burst of pace that means he can be quite confident of blocking a cross should his opponent try to beat him on the outside.
  • edited December 2019
    I do prefer full backs that offer pace going forward. It’s even more important given the formations Bowyer tends to use. It’ll be interesting to see if Doughty gets more games at LB or we bring in someone new. We can’t take a chance on Page getting fit.
  • Watched Doughty against Forest Green and thought he was very poor defensively - seemed a lot better in this game. Very keen to get forwards and looks promising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love that everyone is celebrating his game out of position. 

He played as a LWB in the friendly I saw this season and LM in previous games. 

LWB for us is hardly out of position.

He's doing fantastic slotting straight into the side. I look forward to him in a side of fit players.
  • Phil Warman, for those who remember him, was a converted winger and played over 300 games at left back for us. Gareth Bale went from left back to anywhere and everywhere up front but predominantly on the left. Ricardo Gardner started as a left winger but played, very successfully in the PL, at left back too.

Good players adapt. Think Doughty could be one of them to do so but would probably be more comfortable as a wing back in a five than and out and out full back at this stage.
  • Brian Kinsey was also a winger turned left back.
  • The likes of TAA and Robertson at Liverpool are some of the most attacking players in their team, though it would be a big ask to expect Doughty to play LB regularly

He's certainly made an impact, I can't remember the last time we had someone on the left hugging the touchline with pace, Harriott when he first emerged?
  • speaking to an academy player the other day he said he's not lightening fast but is very quick running with the ball in comparison to others 
  • DOUCHER said:
    speaking to an academy player the other day he said he's not lightening fast but is very quick running with the ball in comparison to others 
    One of the reasons for that is the distance he gets on his runs. He gets the ball out of his feet, rather than dribbling. 
  • Been really impressed with him
  • IR94 said:
    Been really impressed with him
    He's been an integral part of the team in his performances, playing every role on the left side. I can still picture his run and assist for Bonne's goal v Sheff Weds. Also, his fitness and attitude is spot on.

Well done, Alfie.

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    Curious dilemma. He has none of the tricks and quality of maligned wingers like Sam, Newton, Bennett, JCR, Dennis, Harriott, Fosu, Leko etc. but has little more end product. Dangerous balls in, but if not to a red shirt, are they any better than those above? 
  • I doughty thought he'd have done so well coming into the side.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I doughty thought he'd have done so well coming into the side.
    Been a revaluation with plenty of youthful exuberance. Has grasped his chance with both hands.
  • I think he looks a real prospect, not scared of taking his man on with his pace (he seems quick) and seems really strong for someone quite young/inexperienced, the rest will come in time, i've longed for an old fashioned winger who can get past his man and put a ball in. Bowyer rates him and was praising him at the end yesterday when he came over to the fans.
  • edited December 2019
    Right foot is barely good enough for standing on, but his left seems pretty decent and he’s a genuine quickie. Done very well so far and gives us an attacking intent from full back that we just don’t get from Purrington. Seems a natural wing back and I like his old fashioned directness - not full of tricks, just kicks the ball into the corner and burns past the fullback with his pace. Looks a fairly strong boy too, he’s got a broad set of shoulders, not the scrawny teenager who hasn’t quite finished growing you often see making their debut. 

Waiting to see how he does defensively when he gets put up against a good right winger. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    IR94 said:
    Been really impressed with him
    He's been an integral part of the team in his performances, playing every role on the left side. I can still picture his run and assist for Bonne's goal v Sheff Weds. Also, his fitness and attitude is spot on.

Well done, Alfie.

should be dropped then given the form we are in! 

In all seriousness has done well. Definitely over Purrington as a wing back. When we have a squad though I want us to play a back 4 and I don’t think he’s a left back which is a bit of a shame. All he can do is carrying on putting in decent performances though. 
  • If, if he develops well and retains his abilities he has shown against his peers, we might, might, see one of his party pieces where he cuts in, and scores with a fierce shot from a very tight angle rocketing into the roof of the net.
  • We need more attacking outlets in the team and he offers that. Got to start on Boxing Day.