Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    That’s a shame. The playing experience would have been doing him good but needs must.
  • Options
    Guess Doughty could play Right-Back as didnt he play there for the Forest Green game?
    Left back, but yes a very real possibility now. Good luck to the lad.
  • Options
    Alfie Doughty to be recalled from his loan at Bromley due to injury crisis at Charlton. No option to cut short Albie Morgan one - but central midfield not a problem area right now either.

Really surprised we didn't have the option to have Morgan back sooner, but I guess he will be back on 7th November anyway. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Guess Doughty could play Right-Back as didnt he play there for the Forest Green game?
    Based on his performance against Forest Green he's not a defender.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sage said:
    I thought Bowyer was impressed with Alfie against them - Was one player who got praise for his performance

https://the72.co.uk/142563/lee-bowyer-keen-for-charlton-athletic-pair-to-head-out-on-loan/

(Only place I could find the comments)
  • Options
    Sage said:
    No, he is a midfielder but I think he could slot into the left wing-back position okay for a game if needed.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I thought Bowyer was impressed with Alfie against them - Was one player who got praise for his performance

https://the72.co.uk/142563/lee-bowyer-keen-for-charlton-athletic-pair-to-head-out-on-loan/

(Only place I could find the comments)
    Looks okay going forward but suspect defensively as this is not his natural position. 
  • Options
    Just hope if the plan is to play him Left-Back on Saturday that he gets the right protection

Whilst Kayal did well to take the booking yesterday you could argue it could have been avoidable had he covered Forster-Caskey better and not left the space behind
  • Options
    Just hope if the plan is to play him Left-Back on Saturday that he gets the right protection

Whilst Kayal did well to take the booking yesterday you could argue it could have been avoidable had he covered Forster-Caskey better and not left the space behind
    Easier for a midfielder to play left wing back than left back in a 4 which JFC had to do yesterday.  We have the centre backs to play 3
  • Options
    Stephenson at left back?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stephenson at left back?

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Stephansson hasn't featured at all this season, Bowyer seems to prefer Doughty over Stevensun, but with our current injury crisis perhaps Steffenson will feature.

So one of those 3 might play, or we might turn to Toby Stevenson

• Options
    I thought I read somewhere that Toby Stevenson was injured too although @Sage hasn't mentioned him in his excellent, informative posts regarding injuries as far as I can see.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I thought I read somewhere that Toby Stevenson was injured too although @Sage hasn't mentioned him in his excellent, informative posts regarding injuries as far as I can see.
    Didnt Stevenson play for the U23s recently?

Unless of course its only very recent
  • Options
    Would certainly make sure Stevenson is in the squad.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Didnt Stevenson play for the U23s recently?

Unless of course its only very recent
    He was injured at the beginning of the season, but has been playing regularly for the U23s for a little while now. 
  • Options
    Alfie Doughty could play left wing back, as he is normally a left midfield player.
    Toby Stevenson can also play Left Back.
    I would prefer either of these lads who are left footed than the in form RB Solly helping out on the Left. 
    If you can't tackle with your left foot which both Chris and Joe Gomez struggled to do then it's an accident waiting to happen.

No comparison with attacking players playing "on the wrong side".  JBG was a good example of it working in an attacking sense.

• Options
    He is good enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He looks very decent.  Would be interested to hear from those who go to watch the U23’s what their views are.  Seems to have come in a little under the radar?
  • Options
    Final ball was poor on occasion last night but overall he shown promise the last two matches. I can see him becoming an important first team until the next year or two. 
  • Options
    He has to start on Saturday, has shown more than a good few players the last two appearances. Gives us something different being a lefty and has a bit of quality to add. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    He has to start on Saturday, has shown more than a good few players the last two appearances. Gives us something different being a lefty and has a bit of quality to add. 
    Can he play as part of the diamond or would he have to be out wide? Would mean a formation change if so. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Sage said:
    Can he play as part of the diamond or would he have to be out wide? Would mean a formation change if so. 
    We switched, effectively, to 4-4-2 when he came on for Sarr. We looked better for him coming on and a more "familiar" shape seemed to aid us in terms of how Luton were set up. So I don't think a formation change would hinder us - besides, with the resources we have available at the moment, it might well have to happen anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I'm not sure we'll have the strength in the middle though for a traditional 4-4-2. Pratley and Morgan is asking for trouble. In my opinion would need to be a 5 man midfield. 
  • Options
    I like what I have seen of Alfie so far but there is a world of difference between starting a match and coming on for 20-30 minutes against tiring defenders.

He's been playing Conference football. It's a big ask to expect him to become a starter in the Championship. What about Bonne I hear? Firstly he had some (not a lot) league experience and secondly, being a few years older, is more physically developed.

Let's not put too much pressure on him too soon.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I'm not sure we'll have the strength in the middle though for a traditional 4-4-2. Pratley and Morgan is asking for trouble. In my opinion would need to be a 5 man midfield. 
    Osh and Pratley in the middle. Doughty left, Mathews right in a 4-4-2
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    LenGlover said:
    I like what I have seen of Alfie so far but there is a world of difference between starting a match and coming on for 20-30 minutes against tiring defenders.

He's been playing Conference football. It's a big ask to expect him to become a starter in the Championship. What about Bonne I hear? Firstly he had some (not a lot) league experience and secondly, being a few years older, is more physically developed.

Let's not put too much pressure on him too soon.
    You get good by experience, making mistakes, somebody telling you what you did wrong and learning from them and the sooner you start the sooner you get to be good. If there is one major plus from all the injuries we are seeing it is the younger players are getting an early chance to show us what they can do