Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    I think a teensy bit of perspective is need here before we all cream our collective pants. George had a terrific 40 minutes yesterday in a game against the championship’s worst team. He did little last season in league 1 to suggest that he was more than a league 1 bit part player and has not kicked on much this year, partly due to injury. He seems to be a fantastic lad and is one of our own but he hasn’t suddenly become the Messiah. I love his Duracell bunny effort and he’s ok technically but he has a lot of developing to do before he is the next Pratley or better. Good luck to the lad and I really hope he makes it with us as we progress but let’s just be careful we don’t build his pedestal too high on the back of half a good game. 
  • Options
    Not sure I agree he had a poor season in L1. Has anyone got his Statbank performances against mean?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Mates son went to school with him , said he a good lad but seriously doubts he’s a Charlton fan having gone to school in Essex .
  • Options
    Mates son went to school with him , said he a good lad but seriously doubts he’s a Charlton fan having gone to school in Essex .
    Because everyone supports the team geographically closest to where they grew up? 
  • Options
    Because everyone supports the team geographically closest to where they grew up? 
    They don’t , I live in Essex and my 4 sons support Charlton .
    I’m only passing on what mate said, relax .

• Options
    I am happy for Lapslie.  A fantastic performance which changed momentum during the match but I think we are all getting caught up in the buzz of one excellent performance.  He has been completely anonymous or poor for his other 4 or 5 appearances in the Championship.  A good squad player who brings a lot of energy but comparing him to premier league players, calling him a future squad captain or thinking he automatically should be starting rest of the season is crazy. Let’s not have unrealistic expectations here.
    This.

Think some are getting a bit carried away. Very happy for George though and hope he continues to stay fit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    got to admit I was a bit 'meh' when I saw him coming on, however thought he was superb in the second half and totally proved me wrong.

why will he be fined for putting the ball under his shirt?
  • Options
    got to admit I was a bit 'meh' when I saw him coming on, however thought he was superb in the second half and totally proved me wrong.

This. He hasnt taken his shirt off or run into the crowd, if he had then he would have received a Yellow card.
  • Options
    Interesting he only found out he was in the team on Friday afternoon via. a Whatsapp message - I know Purrington was ill so wonder it that happened late on and he was due to be starting with Doughty on the bench
  • Options
    Another player crediting the new physio. Interesting that it seems the injury was misdiagnosed. It took a third scan to pick it up and only because that one was a different scanner. He says it was "high definition" image - not sure if that means the image was just clearer or they used a high definition scanner? @Sage is that normal practice?
  • Options

I'd like to have seen Peter Garland try and do that, it would have ripped the material!
  • Options
    It sounds like we failed to diagnose him properly and consequently kept very quiet about his injury until he returned last week.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It sounds like we failed to diagnose him properly and consequently kept very quiet about his injury until he returned last week.
    Not really.

It was mentioned that he'd had hamstring problems on the OS and he was listed as one of the dozen plus injured players.

Duchatelet underfunded everything including the medical team. Paying more for a higher quality scan found the problem.

Amazing how a little investment brings benefits.
  • Options
    What are the odds that Lewis Page was similarly misdiagnosed?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the information Henry. Despite being Duchalet related, I would still see that (in my eyes) that we failed to diagnose him correctly with the tools available to detect the issue. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Well that puts my blame game to bed, despite me not directing the blame at anybody. 

:-)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Thanks for the information Henry. Despite being Duchalet related, I would still see that (in my eyes) that we failed to diagnose him correctly with the tools available to detect the issue. 
    Most of the time it wouldn’t be the diagnosis that is the issue. You’d likely get the same diagnosis wherever you went. Most of the time it’s the actual rehabilitation that makes the difference. And this is exactly where Murphy comes in. 
  • Options
    I may be reading too much into the interview with Lapslie but I thought it said:

I had some hamstring trouble, had a scan, we did some work on it, when I thought I was back to full fitness, it broke.

I had the same scan, same diagnosis, did some general work on hamstring rehabilitation, thought I was back to full fitness, it broke.

Danny Murphy or someone under ESI asked for a different higher resolution scan that proved that it was a particular tendon issue and since then the rehab has focussed on that specific issue. It’s been very effective and I’m back to fitness without it breaking down (touch wood) faster than I thought.

so a combination of isolating the particular injury and effective work to rehab that particular injury. 

Very sensible and important stuff and not anything duchatelet would have understood. 
  • Options
    Let's not forget that Lapslie has a Sports Science degree himself so knows a bit about the subject.

I think, coming from him, this interview is quite revealing.
  • Options

Cos Luton felt like they were being marginalised as a little club as he ran off with the ball. They're very upset about it.