Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    It can be argued that none of our midfielders are guaranteed Championship calibre next season anyway ......

Then you have someone like Shinnie who isn't our player anyway AND wasn't considered good enough by Nathan Jones who's turned Luton around

That's not necessarily the situation with Shinnie, though ....... often it's just a case of change in formation, tactics and different systems which might not suit that player - and quickly the player is out of favour.

Sometimes it's just there's 2 good players for 1 position and the younger slightly quicker one gets the nod. And with Shinnie, Nathan Jones said he was reluctant to let him out on loan - but did both us and Shinns a favour in recognition of his siignificant contribution to Luton's success in the past few years.

Good players don't suddenly become not good enough over night.

There's no debate that Shinnie is an excellent L1 player

My point (in the context of whether any of our midfielders could step up) was questioning whether we would sign him in the summer if we were in the Championship
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Despite some critical analysis of George as a player, the consensus seems to be that if he moves on it will be with our best wishes.
    Absolutely especially after the way Bowyer has treated him, he's clearly flying in that league, I can only assume Bowyer doesn't like George as a person... He is fine at this level and as we're seeing, with a managers trust he's killing it.  
    Bowyer rightly used him as a squad player when we had better players ahead of him.

He then loaned him out to give him a chance to play regular football and free up some room on the salary cap which allowed us to bring in Shinnie (who is clearly a better player).

How is that treating him badly?
  • Options
    That was terrible keeping
  • Options
    Terrible keeping... Some nice football from Mansfield mind you
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    That was terrible keeping
    Terrible commentary,  wrong name!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Despite some critical analysis of George as a player, the consensus seems to be that if he moves on it will be with our best wishes.
    Absolutely especially after the way Bowyer has treated him, he's clearly flying in that league, I can only assume Bowyer doesn't like George as a person... He is fine at this level and as we're seeing, with a managers trust he's killing it.  
    Bowyer rightly used him as a squad player when we had better players ahead of him.

He then loaned him out to give him a chance to play regular football and free up some room on the salary cap which allowed us to bring in Shinnie (who is clearly a better player).

Hadn't seen Bowyer's latest comments about Lapslie so withdraw my comment on Bowyer not liking him...

Apologies to those easily offended, shipping out a player to the league below when he is always willing to work himself into the ground for us and also good enough at this level to be a squad player isn't great. 

Then telling him he is free to find a new club and we won't be looking to renew him, whilst he's performing at a level beyond the league he is in doesn't feel like it's the best treatment.

All the while Bowyer is trying to tie down a want away Doughty, whose choice to not renew stinks a bit. It's not very Charlton to stick a finger up to the hard working players whilst trying to hold onto those that think they're better than the club.

Happy to admit I was wrong on the personal bit. Not willing to backtrack where I don't see it a as justified. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:

Hadn't seen Bowyer's latest comments about Lapslie so withdraw my comment on Bowyer not liking him...

Apologies to those easily offended, shipping out a player to the league below when he is always willing to work himself into the ground for us and also good enough at this level to be a squad player isn't great. 

Then telling him he is free to find a new club and we won't be looking to renew him, whilst he's performing at a level beyond the league he is in doesn't feel like it's the best treatment.

All the while Bowyer is trying to tie down a want away Doughty, whose choice to not renew stinks a bit. It's not very Charlton to stick a finger up to the hard working players whilst trying to hold onto those that think they're better than the club.

Happy to admit I was wrong on the personal bit. Not willing to backtrack where I don't see it a as justified. 
    But how do we know it's Charlton pushing the narrative? Lapo might have asked for a move to further his own career once he saw who we signed in the summer
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:

But how do we know it's Charlton pushing the narrative? Lapo might have asked for a move to further his own career once he saw who we signed in the summer
    We don't. But we do know he has been told he can go on a free in January! 

Difficulty is getting sense out of such short stories as the following: 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-charlton-athletic-midfielder-cleared-to-leave-on-free-transfer/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:

We are looking for promotion and Lapslie whilst hard working is not deemed good enough.
    If we kept players not good enough just because they worked hard we might never get out of L1.
  • Options
    PWR
    I’d definitely get him back. He’s one of ours and is clearly decent when given a run.
    Surely he’s the youthful legs Bowyer talks about to support the likes of Watson and Pratley. 
  • Options
    Bring him home.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:

It’s the reality of working under the salary cap. 

Lapslie and Oztumer going allowed us to bring in Shinnie and Smyth. Shinnie is clearly a better player than Lapslie and Smyth added someone with pace who can play out wide, giving us a more balanced squad.

Players shouldn’t be kept on if they’re not rated by the management, they’ve got to think ahead to who we might sign in this window and in the summer.

Being a hard worker, from the academy or a Charlton fan shouldn’t make a difference to that, it’s about what they can offer overall. Doing well on loan shouldn’t guarantee you get recalled and have a run in the first team either.

Doughty’s a hard worker too and it’s right to attempt to keep our first team players. He was on loan at Bromley about a year ago or so I get why he wants to leave, he can make a lot more money in a career which could end with a bad injury. Despite being a fan Lapslie would probably do the same, especially with him having a young family.

No sure why you think anyone commenting here is easily offended, just have different opinions on loaning Lapslie out and releasing him.
  • Options
    DNFTT
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Imagine that might pave the way for the Bournemouth lad. 
  • Options
    Good luck George.
    I'm surprised we got £1M for him :wink:
  • Options
    Good luck George.
  • Options
    Good luck to him.
    I wonder who the two L1 teams were that he turned down.
  • Options
    Good luck George. Always gave 100% and a charlton fan.
  • Options
    Good luck George. Always gave his best.