Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    He is a George Lapslie rather than a Steve Gritt. He is still learning and improving, but is an asset to the squad this season as he proved last week.
  • Options
    Technically he is better than Gritty.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Paddy7 said:
    No doubting his commitment, energy etc. but it was nice to see him cover at right back with a degree of discipline for that position, not just chase the ball. Having watched George plenty of times in the u23s he's capable of a lot more and has a decent eye for a pass in a calmer environment - if he can transfer that to first team match situations he'll look a lot more complete. Plenty of time still for someone prepared to learn in public.
    This is a good point, Paddy.

Some players 'try too hard' ...... they bust a gut for the team effort with their perpetual movement, covering, tracking etc.
    They sacrifice their own game for the team effort.

They are the players who make a lung bursting 40 yard run, and at full stretch their touch can let them down.
    Other players might not make these sort of runs.

As Paddy says, Lapslie "has an eye for a pass in a calmer environment" ...... we can see when he's more relaxed he shows a decent quality, more composure. With his level of commitment, maybe stepping up to 1st team level 'excites' George a little too much and he needs a calmer head?

That will come with age and experience. 

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Champs85 said:
    Reminds me very much of Wagstaff. Will run through brick walls but whether he has the quality at this level; only time will tell. 
    Agreed, you can't fault his commitment and energy, but so far as a football he looks slightly limited.

The Gritt comparison is interesting one as Gritt was the typical well respected pro that most teams used to have, been around for years and will do a decent job all over the park without ever being really good at any of them
    Agreed, he is not nearly round enough.
  • Options
    How old is George? - Has he just let slip he's older than what he says he is?

"Hopefully I've a few years left in the game"

Sounds like someone reaching the latter stages of their career

Just love his whole attitude!!
  • Options
    Congratulations George!

Well done!
  • Options
    Congratulations George. Quite an achievement especially at such a young age. Love his down to earth attitude will get him a long way. Seems such a genuine unassuming young man as evidenced by the fact that we saw him casually walking along the road towards Hammersmith in his Charlton track suit after the Fulham game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great effort by George that, and hopefully will set him up nicely if his playing career doesn't progress as he would like.

His knowledge of sports science won't harm him as a player either knowing how the body works must be a benefit to a player
  • Options
    Nice one George
  • Options
    Love this from George. A committed, hard working and humble young man who has the attitude to take him far.

Having done a very similar degree myself, it’ll be interesting to see what type of Master’s he would be looking at going to do if he chose to.

Credit to himself and the club and a great young role model for others to aspire to and see that with the right work ethic, they can do what they put their mind to and achieve success.
  • Options
    Well done George for working so hard, both on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    Very well done George, a credit to you and your family, and dare I say Charlton too.
  • Options
    Hats off to George. Great attitude on the pitch and great attitude to life. 

A degree is never easy and doing it whilst trying to break through in football is huge. So well done to the lad.
  • Options
    Take nothing away from George hes done brilliantly and there very much needs to be much more of this on football. 

But. Getting his degree paid for by a combination of charlton and the PFA. Whilst earning a footballers salary (alright not a massive one but league 1 level wages?) 

Tiny bit of a kick in the teeth for those of us who worked 2 jobs throughout uni and a third in the holidays in order to borrow as little as possible. And then still come out with a mountain of debt which is so structured you end up having to pay a 30 year graduate tax disguised as debt. And have no prospects of earning a footballer's salary. 
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong I think the PFA should be encouraging this to happen more. But the focus should be on encouraging players to do this and educating them about the easons for this and the benefits of doing so.

If anyone can pay their own fees or accept the 30 yr graduate tax its footballers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is he out with a hammy or worse?
  • Options
    Is he out with a hammy or worse?
    I read it was a hamstring but he seems to have been out an awfully long time.
  • Options
    Any update on where Lapslie is? Haven't seen him since the Brentford game. 
  • Options
    Didn't Matt say when he was first introduced to the fans it was at some Fifa tournament, which Lapslie was apparently at?

Or was that just a wierd dream I had. 
  • Options
    Didn't Matt say when he was first introduced to the fans it was at some Fifa tournament, which Lapslie was apparently at?

Or was that just a wierd dream I had. 
    No you were right in thinking that
  • Options

Just looked at statbank and he hasn't featured since Millwall, I like you thought it was Brentford @jamesking93

• Options
    He's currently at home playing fifa according to his instagram
  • Options
    He's currently at home playing fifa according to his instagram
    Fuck, our wage structure must be bad if he cant even afford a cabinet to stick his TV on. 
  • Options
    After his degree, he's out with writer's cramp