Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Not an auspicious start getting a red but reading those twitter posts it sounds like some of what he did was positive.

I hope it works out for him and he comes back a better player.
    His second booking was an absolute joke. (Haven't seen the first)
  • Options
    Not great getting sent off but for a team that was losing and needed to dig deep and fight for everything to try and turn it around you have to wonder why only one other Mansfield player got a booking in the game and that was a substitute and he only got booked in the 92nd minute. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sent off on his debut for Mansfield.
    I'm not sure why this post has already 5 lols.

George has got his limitations, sure. But he's come through the ranks and given his all for Charlton.
    He's been desperate to play football so he's gone to a loan club, rather than sit on his arse counting his wages.

Put yourself in his position. Trying his best on his loan debut and gets 2 bookings and a match suspension.
    I feel for him.
    Think for me was the fact it had been reported so much on the Match Thread yet Viewfinder did nothing wrong posting it on here too
    Only just seen your post @ForeverAddickted Sorry I had missed it.

Just for the record, I had no quibble at all with what @Viewfinder wrote.
    That was fine. But I couldn't understand why some people found it so funny that one of our players had been so unlucky .... it was other posters' reactions that I questioned.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Sent off on his debut for Mansfield.
    I'm not sure why this post has already 5 lols.

George has got his limitations, sure. But he's come through the ranks and given his all for Charlton.
    He's been desperate to play football so he's gone to a loan club, rather than sit on his arse counting his wages.

Put yourself in his position. Trying his best on his loan debut and gets 2 bookings and a match suspension.
    I feel for him.
    Think for me was the fact it had been reported so much on the Match Thread yet Viewfinder did nothing wrong posting it on here too
    Only just seen your post @ForeverAddickted Sorry I had missed it.

Just for the record, I had no quibble at all with what @Viewfinder wrote.
    That was fine. But I couldn't understand why some people found it so funny that one of our players had been so unlucky .... it was other posters' reactions that I questioned.
    I hope that others had taken a similar approach to marking it as a "lol" to be honest
  • Options
    I Lol'd it because it's quite funny that a player might be sent off on their debut anywhere. Our player or elsewhere. 
  • Options
    For me this shows the quick progession in a short space of time under Sandgaard.

Without him we'd have had Lapslie no doubt filling in at right back for some games. Now we have a guy with nearly 100 international caps.

Good luck to him and i hope he does well on loan but i honestly don't see him as any more than a lower half league one player and we obviously aspire to be much higher than that.
    I know what your saying but at the end of the day we are a lower league 1 club. Aspiration is good but I think some of our fans are being unrealistic 
    We are at present, but I don't think it requires a huge leap of the imagination (nor is at all unrealistic if we at last have an owner with just a little bit more ambition than those we have had for the past 5-6 years) to see us as a steady mid-table championship club within the next 2-3 years.

As an individual I like George Lapslie. There is absolutely no doubt he gives 100% every time he plays and that he will play anywhere for the team. However, I was not sad to see him go out on loan. I certainly don't see him as championship standard, nor even as a regular in a team aspiring to get promoted out of league 1. It would seem LB feels the same. If he comes back from his loan a better player that will be great but if not so be it. Professional football is a really tough and sometimes cruel profession and it may be that Lapslie's career will be in the lower leagues.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Mansfield were terrible .. look at their (so called) keeper ..  The Radfords will be fuming and George must be thinking 'what have I done !!!!'

https://www.skysports.com/football/mansfield-vs-bradford/report/430323
  • Options
    Hopefully this doesn't mean less game time for Lapslie

• Options
    I hadn't realised that his goal for Mansfield yesterday was a header, a near post flick on from a corner, as that's not something I associate with him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m normally a negative nancy, but fck it think he can have a good future at this club. Slightly limited in some respects, but his energy as a CM is unreal, if he has a good season in league 2 he could certainly make the step up whether in league 1 or above. I actually know a Mansfield fan and he says he’s one of their best players! That doesn’t count for nothing in a slightly poor team in league 2
  • Options
    Scores again in the 1-0 cup win at Sunderland .. and a great start for Clough
    A decent looking Sunderland team as well. Wyke on the bench, but Grigg and Graham up front
  • Options
    I started this thread asking whether George is a Steve Gritt for the 21st Century.

After today perhaps I should rephrase to John Mc Govern.
  • Options
    He scored so, when's he being recalled ;)
  • Options
    I think he’s found his level 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Sunderland away? That would be the same level as us...
    Touché .  I meant league two 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Sunderland away? That would be the same level as us...
    Touché .  I meant league two 
    Being the leading light in a poor side and scoring against Sunderland would suggest to me that he is better than league two.
  • Options
    Do we know how Mansfield set up and what position they play him in?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I started this thread asking whether George is a Steve Gritt for the 21st Century.

or Dave MacKay
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

or Dave MacKay
    I don't see George as physically robust enough to be Dave Mackay, who was a bruiser as well as skilled, personally but a good point all the same.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

or Dave MacKay
    I don't see George as physically robust enough to be Dave Mackay, who was a bruiser as well as skilled, personally but a good point all the same.
    like  MacKay Lapslie is scared of NObody  >:)