Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 18's updates (23/24 season from page 49)

Comments

• Valley Gold members can watch the semi-final v Aston Villa at Sparrows Lane on Saturday

https://www.castrust.org/2023/03/valley-gold-members-can-watch-under-18-semi-final-on-saturday/
  • clive said:
    My mate's son is playing in these games - he turned 15 a week or so ago so i watched him a couple of weeks ago for the u16s (most of whom are under age).  not a bad bunch of lads tbf
  • Swisdom said:
    clive said:
    U15's are through to the final on Sunday after defeating PSV 4-2 today.  Thy will face either Valencia or Partizan

Well done lads
    Valencia
  • 1-1 Enslin equalised with a header 

we finished the half very strongly 
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-1 at the break
  • Sounds like the Brentford model is changing. I know of 3 lads (17 year olds) who have joined the bees last month. Different type of contracts with one lad getting a short time to prove himself but the first year scholar getting a 3 year deal.
    The other lad is having to wait longer as they are checking out an issue in the medical but hopefully it won't stop the deal.

Brentford have used a B' team for a number of years but they are going back to having an academy. Think they only wanted the 16-18 year group but they may have to cover the younger age groups as well.

I thought it was strange why 3 lads who couldn't get a deal lower down the league's suddenly were wanted by a Premier team who only had a first team and a B team.

I really don't know if this is common knowledge or not. Came from a good source who works in football recruitment.
  • At the CAST webinar with Steve Avory last month::

Heather asked about clubs like Brentford who don’t have an academy, and whether that’s a feasible alternative model. Steve said that he strongly disagrees with that model and that even Brentford is starting its academy back up. By 2025, all PL clubs will have to have a Category 1 academy. “Football clubs should be serving their communities with a youth development programme with players who, in the main, come from that community,” said Steve.
  • Cheers Pico, that will explains why they are starting to work with 17 years olds again.
  • edited March 2023
    Pico said:
    At the CAST webinar with Steve Avory last month::

Heather asked about clubs like Brentford who don’t have an academy, and whether that’s a feasible alternative model. Steve said that he strongly disagrees with that model and that even Brentford is starting its academy back up. By 2025, all PL clubs will have to have a Category 1 academy. “Football clubs should be serving their communities with a youth development programme with players who, in the main, come from that community,” said Steve.
    I think the financial constraints of building their new stadium forced them to abandon their academy.

The new ground is superb. (I'm going there tomorrow to see London Irish play Exeter Chiefs in the Premiership Cup Final.)
  • Sounds like the Brentford model is changing. I know of 3 lads (17 year olds) who have joined the bees last month. Different type of contracts with one lad getting a short time to prove himself but the first year scholar getting a 3 year deal.
    The other lad is having to wait longer as they are checking out an issue in the medical but hopefully it won't stop the deal.

Brentford have used a B' team for a number of years but they are going back to having an academy. Think they only wanted the 16-18 year group but they may have to cover the younger age groups as well.

I thought it was strange why 3 lads who couldn't get a deal lower down the league's suddenly were wanted by a Premier team who only had a first team and a B team.

I really don't know if this is common knowledge or not. Came from a good source who works in football recruitment.
    Brentford have no choice. It is Premier league rules. I read a short article moaning about having to spend a million pounds plus to  run an academy.
  • Pico said:
    At the CAST webinar with Steve Avory last month::

What happens if a team gets promoted to the Premier League after 2025 and dont yet have the infrastructure in place for a Category One Academy? - i.e. another Brentford who have kicked their Academy into touch for the time being.

Presume they get X amount of years to get it setup?
  • Sponsored links:

• I fear we may lose Casey as had hoped he’d be signed up by now. Fingers crossed something is announced soon. 
  • Casey has had a superb season tbf.  Really hope we’ve tied him down

• I'd love to see Casey around the first team for a few games if he's signed. Looks to have a very good goalscoring record. 
  • What type of striker is Casey? What are his strengths?
  • I make that 31 goals for Casey now but could be wrong.. Kanu got 41 last season I think.

Scoham said:
    What type of striker is Casey? What are his strengths?

Scoring goals..
  • I make that 31 goals for Casey now but could be wrong.. Kanu got 41 last season I think.

Scoham said:

Scoring goals..
    Lol. You beat me to it

Scoham said:

Scoring goals..
    Won't fit in with our style of play then
  • Quick catch up. The U18s lost 2-1 at Sheffield Wednesday on Friday.