Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 18's updates (23/24 season from page 49)

Comments

• So if the U18's who played in the final broadly this:

Kone;
    Asiimwe,          Signed
    Mitchell,    .      Signed
    Laqeretabua
    Hobden
    Bower.               Signed
    Kedwell
    Anderson.         Signed
    Huke.                  Signed (I think)
    Rylah.                 Signed
    Myers
    Casey
    Enslin
    Kanu.                  Signed

Have I missed any?
    Huke has a Contract until 2024

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/61dda4ee4e9a6/ryan-huke-signs-first-pro-deal-until-2024
  • So if the U18's who played in the final broadly this:

Kone;
    Asiimwe,          Signed
    Laqeretabua
    Hobden
    Kedwell
    Anderson.         Signed
    Huke.                  Signed (I think)
    Myers
    Casey
    Enslin

Have I missed any?
    Looks right to me other than I don't remember (and can't find) any news on Bower signing pro.
  • Absolutely bizarre this thread has been running for 4 years and this is the first time I’ve clicked on it! 

Great to see the academy continue to flourish. I do wonder why much better run clubs haven’t tried to take Avory away from us considering how consistent it’s performance has been over a number of years?
    It is a mystery. I told him at a cast meeting, I guess about 5 years ago, he was the one person at the club we could least afford to lose.

I think maybe he is settled and had carried on working longer than other clubs imagined.

Tbh he is working in a magnificent catchment area. My worry is, more clubs are fishing in London now and both Palace and Millwall have more resources to exploit it.
  • Absolutely bizarre this thread has been running for 4 years and this is the first time I’ve clicked on it! 

Great to see the academy continue to flourish. I do wonder why much better run clubs haven’t tried to take Avory away from us considering how consistent it’s performance has been over a number of years?
    It is a mystery. I told him at a cast meeting, I guess about 5 years ago, he was the one person at the club we could least afford to lose.

I think maybe he is settled and had carried on working longer than other clubs imagined.

Tbh he is working in a magnificent catchment area. My worry is, more clubs are fishing in London now and both Palace and Millwall have more resources to exploit it.

Isn’t that issue you ‘worry’ about the key difference in our favour though. Charlton don’t come across as  looking to ‘exploit’ the situation, they look to develop and actually bring players through and give them a pretty good chance of first team football 
  • More good news from The Academy, and shows a lot of intent on behalf of The Club, and likewise belief from the players...strange though, still no Kone yet, unless I have missed somewhere...
  • edited May 2023
    Not heard of Chibike until now, although guess thats not been helped by the ACL he's had since September

Kone and Casey are the two to really tie down now
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2023
    Updated

Kone;
    Asiimwe,          Signed
    Laqeretabua
    Hobden.           Signed
    Kedwell
    Anderson.         Signed
    Huke.                  Signed 
    Casey
    Okechukwu.      Signed
    Myers
    Enslin

Good work getting so many signed up to date but Kone, Casey and Laqeretabua seem stand out unsigned players to my mind.

Interestingly Kone turned 18 in October 2022 so seems very odd he would not have signed for us or have already jumped..

Don't know as much about the others.
  • He’s better than Pat…
    He’s better than Pat…
    Toby Bower, he’s better than Pat
  • He’s better than Lee…
    He’s better than Lee…
    Toby Bower, he’s better than Lee
    This also works
  • Striker Patrick Casey has been named in the Republic of Ireland U19s squad for an upcoming summer training camp.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/striker-named-ireland-u19s-squad
  • I didn't know Casey was a first year? Wow that's very impressive to have that kind of scoring record. 
  • This is probably a stupid question, but what does First Year Scholar mean etc.

Or is it just a case of describing it as his first year with the U18s?
  • This is probably a stupid question, but what does First Year Scholar mean etc.

Or is it just a case of describing it as his first year with the U18s?
    Exactly that. 
  • clive said:
    Striker Patrick Casey has been named in the Republic of Ireland U19s squad for an upcoming summer training camp.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/striker-named-ireland-u19s-squad
    Delighted by this. Hopefully he’ll be playing alongside Evan Ferguson for the senior team in a few years🤞🏻🇮🇪
    p.s. hopefully he’ll sign a new deal soon 🙏
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done to him. I think 42 goals means he equalled Kanu's total from the season before.
  • Well done to him. I think 42 goals means he equalled Kanu's total from the season before.
    Under the radar a little bit, certainly not as much hype around the him as there was for Kanu last year.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Well done to him. I think 42 goals means he equalled Kanu's total from the season before.
    Under the radar a little bit, certainly not as much hype around the him as there was for Kanu last year.
    Probably because Kanu was known as being a bit of a Goalscorer prior to the U18s

Remember his name constantly being talked about before then too
  • Charlton Athletic are delighted to announce that Keenan Gough and Kai Enslin are the latest academy scholars to have penned professional terms with the club.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/academy-duo-pen-professional-terms

• edited June 2023
    Good news.  Well done to both. Hope they go on to have wonderful careers with us.  I am glad our ownership issues are not stopping giving these lads their first opportunities in the game.
  • so update on our U18's below. Highlighted ones not yet signed.

U18's who played key roles in SF or Final (or who have signed)
    Kone
    ;
    Asiimwe,              Signed
    Mitchell                Signed
    Laqeretabua
    Hobden.               Signed
    Bower.                  Signed
    Gough.                 Signed
    Kedwell
    Anderson.            Signed
    Huke.                    Signed 
    Rylah.                    Signed
    Casey
    Kanu.                    Signed
    Okechukwu.         Signed
    Myers
    Enslin.                  Signed

Others listed on our website in the squad
    Yamoha
    Hand
    Berry
    Batt
    Molneux
    Danso
    Hunter
    Okwumo

• clive said:

Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm that nine young players have signed scholarship forms with the club ahead of the 2023/24 campaign. 

The two-year scholarship programme will enable them to benefit from extra contact time on the football pitch as well as support in the classroom. 

The following players - some of whom have already featured for the club's U18s team - have penned scholarship terms:

• Jude Sadler
    • Luke Ashburn
    • Ethan Cann
    • Ibrahim Fullah
    • Alan Mwamba
    • Micah Mbick
    • Joshua Ogunnowo
    • Jacob Safa
    • Manu Wales
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/nine-new-academy-scholars-confirmed-202324
    Absolutely love that someone as recently as the late-2000s decided to name their little boy Alan.
  • Interesting to see Kone, Casey and Laqeretabua all on our scholars retained list on the EFLs website.

An (o) next to a players name indicates they’re u24 and out of contract at the end of June but have been offered a new deal. Henry is the only player with that but we know he’s since signed a new contract (list is from late May),

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/c02ddd0e1d174a679c4cce8983aef204/efl-professional-retain-list---2022-23.pdf