Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonathon Leko - Jan 2024: on loan at Burton (p14)

Comments

• genuinely don't get the amount of stick Leko gets at all, I must see a different player
    He's a bit awkward on the ball and can get it stuck in his feet a lot but can also take it round players, reminds me of danny wellbeck for that reason. 
  • edited December 2019
    genuinely don't get the amount of stick Leko gets at all, I must see a different player
    Yes you must.

If he did the simple stuff well, the trickery going wrong now and then wouldn't be frustrating. 

As Lee Bowyer said "You don't have to nutmeg someone every time you get the ball" (paraphrasing)
  • Needs to have a bit more about his game ...I am happy that he tries a few tricks and makes space ..he needs encouraging if it doesn't come off ..I want to see a bit more aggression from him though ..to go in where bonne and Taylor go in ...I have never seen him head a ball so if he is going to play up front he has to improve in that area...
  • edited December 2019
    I’m not his biggest fan by a long way. He is so frustrating. That said , there is a good player in there, he just needs to grow a footballing brain. He is only 20 and this is his first proper prolonged spell in a team. I wouldn’t be anti signing him on a permanent basis. Echo what @lolwray says - more aggression needed in his game. He also has the tendency to turn his back to the play - all things that given time, will be stuff he gets to grips with. 
  • Leko has terrific ability on the ball and potential to be way above our current level.

People mention his decision making and so does his manager .... so we can all be pretty sure that there's room for improvement there.
    But to me, he comes across as a bit of a ball-watcher when he's not in possession, not anticipating his next involvement.
    Either that or he's half asleep.

He's still only 20 and lots to learn.
    But if he'd only sharpen his awareness and anticipation, he'd soon be twice the player he is right now.

• Oggy Red said:
    Leko has terrific ability on the ball and potential to be way above our current level.

People mention his decision making and so does his manager .... so we can all be pretty sure that there's room for improvement there.
    But to me, he comes across as a bit of a ball-watcher when he's not in possession, not anticipating his next involvement.

But if he'd only sharpen his awareness and anticipation, he'd soon be twice the player he is right now.

For me you are spot on when you mention being a ball watcher. He is often standing still when the ball is passed to him, and his body seems to be facing in the wrong direction if that makes sense.

That said, I like him. Drifts passed players and is direct. Starting to score goals which shows he is moving in the right direction.

Boone, Taylor, Leko as a front three would be a handful. Williams just behind would frighten most defences.
  • edited December 2019
    Redrobo said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leko has terrific ability on the ball and potential to be way above our current level.

For me you are spot on when you mention being a ball watcher. He is often standing still when the ball is passed to him, and his body seems to be facing in the wrong direction if that makes sense.

That said, I like him. Drifts passed players and is direct. Starting to score goals which shows he is moving in the right direction.

Boone, Taylor, Leko as a front three would be a handful. Williams just behind would frighten most defences.
    Including our own with how little cover they'd get!

I like Leko. He is a little flat footed at times but his work rate is pretty good for a player of his ilk, and I don't buy into this idea he hides in games. He has a reasonable number of goals and assists too so it's not like he's one of those wingers who are all step-overs and no end product. He does get his head up and play some intelligent passes as well so, again, he's not one of those wingers constantly running down dead ends. I think we can all name a number of much more frustrating players than him that have played wide or up front for Charlton.

Leko is on the pitch to score a goal, play a killer pass or cross, or to carry the ball past players. These are probably the three hardest things to do on a football pitch and they are all low percentage activities. It's inevitable that it's not going to come off for him more often than not. Add in that young players are usually a bit more inconsistent than older player too and it's even more so. He still does make stuff happen in most matches.

If Albion don't want him, I'd sign him up.
  • Out for the rest of the season with an ACL injury 
  • Sponsored links:

• Desperate for the lad.
  • That’s shite...really hope he can get back on a pitch sometime soon,so gutted it may not be at the Valley,
    Good luck Leks
  • Feel for him.

At least LB has some certainty over it and can plan accordingly. The worst would’ve been not knowing if he’ll be back late February to late March and will we won’t we keep him?

This way we have another loaner we can bring in alongside a replacement for Kayal.
  • edited December 2019
    Feel for him.

At least LB has some certainty over it and can plan accordingly. The worst would’ve been not knowing if he’ll be back late February to late March and will we won’t we keep him?

This way we have another loaner we can bring in alongside a replacement for Kayal.
    Gutted for Leko but being totally selfish at least it didn’t happen on the 1st February which would have been disastrous for us
  • Feel for him.

Gutted for Leko but being totally selfish at least it didn’t happen on the 1st February which would haven disastrous for us
    Yeah said that the other day. Given our luck I think we are allowed to be selfish. 

Not sure West Brom will be keen on doing any future business with us though! 
  • Gutted for him. I don't think the injury is quite as bad as a full tear, otherwise that's what would have been reported. Even so, ACL damage takes months of careful work to repair, even in this day and age.

All the best Jonathan.

As for us - well, at least we can plan for this going into the window.
  • Sponsored links:

• I liked Leko and he will only get better. Definitely has talent.
  • Always sad to hear a pro with a serious injury, Thought he was showing real promise, Hope he makes a speedy recovery seemed like a nice lad.