Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Gallagher - first league goal for Chelsea (p77)

Comments

• Options
    One of the few positives from Wednesday was this young chap. He has a lot of swagger, real personality on the pitch. I thought he was a real class apart from all other players.

He has technique, vision, mobility and real fighting spirit. Tackles like Scholes, sometimes you need to put in the odd naughty so you don't let physical teams intimidate.

His touch and turn show a real understanding of decisive & effective football. Takes up great spaces and looks for space before flashy nonsense. 1 on 1 he has some steps.

He is a brilliant striker of ball off both feet. Controlled,  powerful volleys. 

What is his level? Is he going to add presence or finesse? Can you add both? He could probably add a yard of pace and half a yard's leap naturally as he man's up over the new few years.

Definitely PL next year. Keeps with the growth and desire and probably Chelsea. Good luck to him for sure. His game will suit international football.

We do have one loanee who is undeniably world class and that is Leko. In an alleway against cones and bollards, head down run with the ball, he is unplayable. Unfortunately, when on a pitch with team-mates, he doesn't seem to have what anyone else in his team is doing.....world class touch, sunday league vision.

No positives to be drawn from Tuesday's débacle obviously.
    Curious as to what you saw him doing Wednesday though..?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I thought he was very ordinary on Tuesday, kept getting caught with the ball, trying to do too much possibly.
    The worst I've seen Connor play. He's usually outstanding.
  • Options
    One of the few positives from Wednesday was this young chap. He has a lot of swagger, real personality on the pitch. I thought he was a real class apart from all other players.

He has technique, vision, mobility and real fighting spirit. Tackles like Scholes, sometimes you need to put in the odd naughty so you don't let physical teams intimidate.

His touch and turn show a real understanding of decisive & effective football. Takes up great spaces and looks for space before flashy nonsense. 1 on 1 he has some steps.

He is a brilliant striker of ball off both feet. Controlled,  powerful volleys. 

What is his level? Is he going to add presence or finesse? Can you add both? He could probably add a yard of pace and half a yard's leap naturally as he man's up over the new few years.

Definitely PL next year. Keeps with the growth and desire and probably Chelsea. Good luck to him for sure. His game will suit international football.

We do have one loanee who is undeniably world class and that is Leko. In an alleway against cones and bollards, head down run with the ball, he is unplayable. Unfortunately, when on a pitch with team-mates, he doesn't seem to have what anyone else in his team is doing.....world class touch, sunday league vision.
    Think Leko will end up playing at the highest level, has clear talent but as you say his footballing awareness isnt there yet - luckily that can be coached. Better that way round at his age than no ability but reads the game well.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I thought he was very ordinary on Tuesday, kept getting caught with the ball, trying to do too much possibly.

I think he's definitely trying to do too much right now. Has ability above anyone else in our patched up midfield, and knows it, and wants to show leadership and take game by the scruff of the neck. It's admirable, but I think you can see he's getting frustrated with the way recent matches have gone and he's trying to force things. Trying shots when he should pass, trying killer balls when the simple pass was the better option.

When a team is on a bad run and confidence is low, it tends to go one of two ways. Players start to over compensate and lose that instinctive good decision making, or they pass the buck a bit a start hoping a teammate will dig the team out a hole. It's human nature and our lot are showing all the hallmarks of a team low on confidence. Connor's firmly in the first camp right now but it'll come back to him. We just need a break right now - a perfectly good goal disallowed on Tuesday, two goals against that should've been disallowed vs Luton, a 50:50 penalty call vs Sheff Weds. These are all examples of things not going our way right now and that tends to be the way when you're on a bad run. At some point we'll get a soft penalty or a bad offside call go our way which will be the catalyst for things to change.

Sadly, and I keep saying this, I don't think we've hot rock bottom yet, though.
  • Options
    Gallagher and Cullen will definitely end up as premier league players. 
    Leco the jury is still out. 
  • Options
    As I understand it from what Gallen said at the Trust meeting the danger is a premier or championship promotion chasing team may offer a fee plus pay his Chelsea wages in January.
    this is also a concern that I have
  • Options
    Gallagher is being forced to play out of position and in a role that doesn't suit him, hence why his performances have suffered recently. He's still busting a gut to charge down oppo keepers and giving his all, the lads is class.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    The worst I've seen Connor play. He's usually outstanding.
    possibly two factors at play here .. 1) He is a wee bit tired and is feeling the 'strain' of a very tough season so far (he's taken and given a lot of heavy tackles, body checks etc.)
    2) He is trying a bit too hard to cover for the dire lack of recent midfield support ..
    We all agree, in a very few years if he maintains fitness and discipline, he'll be a top top player .. problem is I doubt very much, unless the (whisper it softly) 'takeover' happens and we become mega rich as a buying club, it will not be with us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably his worst game for us but he's been outstanding all season. When you're the only player in the midfield with creativity I can understand why you may hold onto the ball a bit too long though and get caught in possession, he's trying to make things happen but doesn't have any decent options to pass to. 
  • Options
    we are now realising just how important Cullen is to this team.

Gallagher is an absolute quality player and thrives even better with Cullen, Taylor, Williams, Pratley etc on the pitch with him.....it's a big ask for a 19 year old on loan to be the 'main man'
    I thought we realised how important Cullen was when he was missing last season.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gallagher is being forced to play out of position and in a role that doesn't suit him, hence why his performances have suffered recently. He's still busting a gut to charge down oppo keepers and giving his all, the lads is class.
    Agreed, the balance of the team was all wrong on Tuesday and Gallagher ended up playing far too deep as we were being swamped in central midfield. He was picking the ball up in positions where (to me) Morgan should have been playing.
  • Options
    I thought he had an awful game when he’s usually superb. Urgently needs a rest
  • Options
    Chelsea could recall him after Christmas. Not sure they want him playing quite this much so early in his career.
  • Options
    Chelsea could recall him after Christmas. Not sure they want him playing quite this much so early in his career.
    Would surely be the first time a parent club recalled a loan player because he was playing too much! 
  • Options
    We're clearly overplaying him. Chelsea might feel that too much game time in a poor side is doing him more harm than good. Probably not going to happen but with loan players you never know.
  • Options
    The wheels really are falling off this season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't see Chelsea selling him to anyone but I could see them recalling him and loaning him to a PL side
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Already been covered in the transfer rumours thread but I will eat my hat if he moves to Burnley on a permanent basis this upcoming window.

Even a PL loan makes no sense at this stage in his development. I’d love to see some statistics on how many times Chelsea have recalled a player playing well and getting valuable first team minutes. I’d bet it’s zero.

Smacks of an agent trying to get the parent club to give him a “proper” contract and not just a contract of a youth prospect.
  • Options
    Doubt he will be risked for next game.  Carried an injury into the match.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me, what's the music to the Connor Gallagher chant? Cheers.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Can someone tell me, what's the music to the Connor Gallagher chant? Cheers.
    Do Do Do Conor Gallagher?
  • Options
    That's the one.
  • Options
    kicked to pieces tonight, bad blood around his ankle area, hope his okay
  • Options
    Thought he looked sharper tonight than he has done recently. Lucky to not suffer a serious injury.