Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Gallagher - first league goal for Chelsea (p77)

Comments

• Options
    I think the loss of Gallagher can't be understated on the way our season ended up. Possibly more critical than Taylor spitting his dummy out tbh. Had we kept hold of Conor I think we'd have still been in the mix but having a midfielder who knows how to score would've taken some pressure off our forwards. 
    Totally agree and his energy and pace were fantastic. Loved watching him play. I wish him well and hope he has a successful career. Thanks for all your efforts, Connor.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I follow why Chelsea moved Gallagher on but I disagree that it was necessarily "better for his development"

Being part of a struggling team and being the main man in that team would've been just as good for his development. Having to work twice as hard doesn't mean it makes you a worse player. In fact, you could argue that it helps you grow up a little bit faster. 

Just as I never got all the "Bob Peeters will ruin Karlan Grant by putting him in the team so early" talk. Young players want to play, they're hungry and look at Karlan Grant now; only 22 but with 150 league appearances behind him and no doubt looking at an eye-watering new contract somewhere. I should imagine he's grateful to Bob Peeters for putting him, when he did. If he isn't, he ought to be. 

It was about the players alongside him I imagine, he won't be learning anything playing with players his own age with as much experience as him. 
  • Options
    Wish Connor all the best,he run his legs off for us,but I think his future is away from Chelsea,they have too many midfielders and are still buying.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Simonsen said:
    I follow why Chelsea moved Gallagher on but I disagree that it was necessarily "better for his development"

Being part of a struggling team and being the main man in that team would've been just as good for his development. Having to work twice as hard doesn't mean it makes you a worse player. In fact, you could argue that it helps you grow up a little bit faster. 

Just as I never got all the "Bob Peeters will ruin Karlan Grant by putting him in the team so early" talk. Young players want to play, they're hungry and look at Karlan Grant now; only 22 but with 150 league appearances behind him and no doubt looking at an eye-watering new contract somewhere. I should imagine he's grateful to Bob Peeters for putting him, when he did. If he isn't, he ought to be. 

Just shows how shit gobinson was by loaning him out at the time. 

We needed a goalscorer and I'd have bet he'd have scored against fucking Shrewsbury when the rest couldn't manage a worthwhile strike in 3hrs
  • Options
    I know it went wonky in the end when the injuries kicked in and he ended getting overplayed and kicked all over the park , let’s be honest he looked a class act, a joy to watch and the best by a mile we’ve seen at the valley in many a year.

Very good technically at such a young age,  I hope he has a bright future, and Lee helped play a small part in giving him his first break, hope he gets to pull on an England shirt in the future.
    I hope he declares for Ireland! 
  • Options
    siblers said:
    I know it went wonky in the end when the injuries kicked in and he ended getting overplayed and kicked all over the park , let’s be honest he looked a class act, a joy to watch and the best by a mile we’ve seen at the valley in many a year.

Very good technically at such a young age,  I hope he has a bright future, and Lee helped play a small part in giving him his first break, hope he gets to pull on an England shirt in the future.
    I hope he declares for Ireland! 
    I met Stephen Kenny before a game at the valley earlier in the season. I asked about Gallagher and he said they'd enquired about his eligibility but apart from England he's only eligible for Scotland
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Not opening that rag to find out which club it is, but I'd say to him, go for it, you've shown the personal maturity and intelligence that would help you settle in quickly. And Germany will love you.

He will tear it up there in a decent team. In fact whoever it is I might adopt as my Bundesliga team ( unless its Bayern 😉)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Not opening that rag to find out which club it is, but I'd say to him, go for it, you've shown the personal maturity and intelligence that would help you settle in quickly. And Germany will love you.

He will tear it up there in a decent team. In fact whoever it is I might adopt as my Bundesliga team ( unless its Bayern 😉)
    Appears it's going to be Schalke. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Scoham said:

Excellent. Proper club.
  • Options
    This is what happens when your team is built upon loans
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Leeds signed 6 players on loan last season, how did they do?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Only have 5 in the squad at any one time.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Scoham said:

Excellent. Proper club.
    Indeed - would be a very good move for him. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    They still signed 6 players on loan last season, although only 5 at one time. 

The point I was making is that I don’t necessarily believe loans are an issue. They enable clubs to boost their squad with quality they couldn’t afford to buy. We could never have afforded Bielik or Gallagher. 

I’m in agreement with Forever though, it cannot be a rebuild every summer. Or in our case, every window due to the loss of Grant and Gallagher particularly over the last winter windows. You need to keep the core but I don’t think the loan system has been our problem, it’s been losing players like Grant, Aribo and Bauer for next to nothing and then not having any money at all to replace them. 

Both Leeds and West Brom had multiple loans and it didn’t do them any harm. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

The point I was making is that I don’t necessarily believe loans are an issue. They enable clubs to boost their squad with quality they couldn’t afford to buy. We could never have afforded Bielik or Gallagher. 

I’m in agreement with Forever though, it cannot be a rebuild every summer. Or in our case, every window due to the loss of Grant and Gallagher particularly over the last winter windows. You need to keep the core but I don’t think the loan system has been our problem, it’s been losing players like Grant, Aribo and Bauer for next to nothing and then not having any money at all to replace them. 

Agree with this, think it's more accurate than just blaming loans. Loans allow us to get in players of a certain quality we wouldn't otherwise get. Cullen, Gallagher, Leko, Bielik, etc. They're the top of the crop in terms of ability in our side because bigger and richer sides can afford to hoover up and hoard talent. So it becomes this push/pull of, in order to get quality you need loans, but in getting in loans, you're dependent on the players of other teams.  
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    cafc999 said:

Agree with this, think it's more accurate than just blaming loans. Loans allow us to get in players of a certain quality we wouldn't otherwise get. Cullen, Gallagher, Leko, Bielik, etc. They're the top of the crop in terms of ability in our side because bigger and richer sides can afford to hoover up and hoard talent. So it becomes this push/pull of, in order to get quality you need loans, but in getting in loans, you're dependent on the players of other teams.  
    I hate the way top teams can sign players like Kasey Palmer for peanuts and offer him more than any of our first teamers. But that is the situation and to improve squads you need to get loan players in alongside quality players for cheap such as Lockyer and Taylor. Obviously trying to do that every summer is unsustainable and so you need to develop a core group of players alongside the loans. We are losing our best players every summer, hence why Gallen/Bowyer etc are always facing an almost impossible task. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    cafc999 said:

And of last season's loans, Cullen came pack on loan with Purrington signed permanently, so there was some continuity

Jay DaSilva was another one who returned for a second loan spell
  • Options
    From BBC Sport

Newcastle United are interested in a loan deal for Wilson, who spent last season on loan at Bournemouth, and are also keen on Chelsea's 20-year-old English midfielder Conor Gallagher. (Northern Echo)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Came off the Chelsea bench against Brighton today and was one of the best players on the pitch. Was also wearing the number 10 shirt...
  • Options
    Ha ha  :*
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Came off the Chelsea bench against Brighton today and was one of the best players on the pitch. Was also wearing the number 10 shirt...
    He’ll be on loan somewhere shortly .  FF won’t have the balls to play the kids now all his excuses have gone, especially if they sign Havertz
    I think they've already said he'll be going out to a premier league team on loan.

He'll be behind Ziyech, Havertz, Mount and Barkley so will hardly get a look in.

Chelsea have a first team squad of over 40 players so will be loaning/selling quite a few over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    i'm reliably informed we would have been getting one of chelsea's shining midfield academy stars on loan had we not been relegated - he's been on the first team bench there for a few games recently and is a few years younger than gallagher
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i'm reliably informed we would have been getting one of chelsea's shining midfield academy stars on loan had we not been relegated - he's been on the first team bench there for a few games recently and is a few years younger than gallagher
    After what happened with Gallagher maybe it's for the best that this isn't going to happen now