Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Ricky Holmes had an excellent spell at Cafc and it was only in the last month when the speculation and the accumulation of the kicks and his 100% efforts caught up with him.

As it turned out just like when Mark Kinsella went to Aston Villa, Ricky's best days had gone and his body was worn out; a couple of years earlier and Sheffield United would have had a superb squad player to add to their Championship side. 

No comparison between Ricky Holmes and Jonny Williams when it comes to goals or assists. Ricky wins by a mile.

Jonny looked more classy and he had a more subtle effect on the side. The Wembley cameo was one of his better days  when he won a few free kicks within minutes of coming on and helped to wrestle back the momentum for the orgasmic climax by our favourite BFG.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Ricky Holmes was a similar run at players type, but not half as talented as Williams. He scored 19 goals in his two years with us. Just saying.
    Ricky Holmes may not have had as much natural talent as Johny but his end product was miles better. 
    Scoring goals
    Creating chances 
    Free kicks 
    All at a better standard than  Johnny imo. 
    Hard to disagree.
    It is but I know which one keeps getting signed by championship managers.  I also know which one is a millionaire.
    People are so defensive about Johnny Williams

Honestly, who cares about those two points, on the pitch is where it counts

Redrobo and blackpool's excellent observations stand
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Ricky Holmes was a similar run at players type, but not half as talented as Williams. He scored 19 goals in his two years with us. Just saying.
    Ricky Holmes may not have had as much natural talent as Johny but his end product was miles better. 
    Scoring goals
    Creating chances 
    Free kicks 
    Hard to disagree.
    It is but I know which one keeps getting signed by championship managers.  I also know which one is a millionaire.

Lyle Taylor is a millionaire and look at the pelters he gets.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoring goals
    Creating chances 
    Free kicks 
    Hard to disagree.

Is he? After taxes I'd suggest he's not a millionaire.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoring goals
    Creating chances 
    Free kicks 
    Hard to disagree.

Is he? After taxes I'd suggest he's not a millionaire.
    Have to think otherwise.
    Free transfers spell signing on fees, we'll never know for sure either way.
  • Options
    Nice to see Williams jumping around after the Wales win though.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    As much as I like the fella, Williams isn't fit to lace Ricky's boots! Holmes was class for us. Can talk about bank balances, but Ricky was by far the better player for CAFC
    Not fit to lace his boots is a bit extreme what ever you think about Williams.  The fact is one keeps getting signed by championship managers one didn't. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    YTS1978 said:
    As much as I like the fella, Williams isn't fit to lace Ricky's boots! Holmes was class for us. Can talk about bank balances, but Ricky was by far the better player for CAFC
    Not fit to lace his boots is a bit extreme what ever you think about Williams.  The fact is one keeps getting signed by championship managers one didn't. 
    Not the best comparison really.

Holmes spent the majority of his career in the lower leagues, & peaked with us.
    Had he been a bit younger, & not kicked to pieces, he would've been desired at championship level for sure.

Williams, being younger, & playing mostly in the top 2 divisons in his career (aside from the 2 L1 spells with us), is still seen as someone who can come good/live up to his potential, if he stays fit.
    That's why Championship managers will take a punt on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Haha...that comment was a little tongue in cheek tbf! My point is Ricky did so much more in a Charlton shirt than Williams ever did. I like JW, but his record is just not comparable. 
  • Options
    Jesus Christ 
  • Options
    Stunned

He had been linked with a couple of Championship clubs, and if not surely a L1 side might have been interested, but ended up in an L2 side who have been in massive financial difficulties
  • Options
    edited August 2021

The one thing we know about Jonny is that he’s a confidence player. Maybe he looked at Swindon and thought that’s the place he wants to be. 

I have no doubt he could’ve got a deal with a Wimbledon or a Gillingham but perhaps those set ups aren’t suited to get the best out of his personality.
  • Options
    Bless his cotton socks ! 

Wish him well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Genuinely so shocked at this, he’s so so much better than that level it’s ridiculous.

Wish him all the very best and maybe a good season will make other clubs be more interested next summer. 
  • Options
    Bizarre transfer, fair play to him because I doubt money was his motivation. 
  • Options
    Shurley shome mistake.
    Williams is Championship class. 
    Everyone knows you don't rate him, fair enough, but you don't have to slag him off on every thread.  There will be a Watson is old joke within a page....... 
  • Options
    He will be injured by end of August. Kicked up in the air for fun in that League.
  • Options
    Did Swindon find a new owner as i thought they were close to going bust a few weeks ago?
  • Options
    I honestly dont get the shocked reaction. Plenty of people on here keep saying he is championship quality and he was at the Euros etc. If he was championship quality he would be playing there. He never got near playing in the Euros. Lovely fella but massively overrated on here I think. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Shurley shome mistake.
    Williams is Championship class. 
    Everyone knows you don't rate him, fair enough, but you don't have to slag him off on every thread.  There will be a Watson is old joke within a page....... 
    Good luck johny.
    Please can you get a gig for Watson as he's too old for Charlton 
  • Options
    bUt He'S cHaMpIoNsHiP mAtErIaL!

Lovely bloke, but he's completely unproductive.

Hope for him he thrives and earns a move back up the football ladder though
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I honestly dont get the shocked reaction. Plenty of people on here keep saying he is championship quality and he was at the Euros etc. If he was championship quality he would be playing there. He never got near playing in the Euros. Lovely fella but massively overrated on here I think. 
    People are shocked he's dropped down to league 2, not shocked that he hasn't got a championship deal.

He's definitely better than that.