Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Talal said:
    I'd like to see Oztumer and Williams both start together for once. I really don't see why it couldn't work. Play Davis at the base, Cullen and Oz central and Williams at the tip. It's not like we physically overpower teams in midfield anyway so dropping Oz back a bit shouldn't hinder us. 
    We’d probably be weaker when defending set pieces, but then it could make us more dangerous going forward and give us more possession.
  • stonemuse said:
    Why cant we train @ Man City... they were allowed to train at the Valley!!
    Distance?
    It's not that far, about 30 miles, to Huddersfield over the M62 however Sheffield to Manchester and back to Yorkshire would be a bit of a mission.
  • Why cant we train @ Man City... they were allowed to train at the Valley!!

They're worried we might leave Matt Smith behind?
    What, on the bench you mean  :)
  • Why cant we train @ Man City... they were allowed to train at the Valley!!

They're worried we might leave Matt Smith behind?
    If we swap him for De Bruyne, perhaps they won't notice
  • Scoham said:
    Talal said:
    I'd like to see Oztumer and Williams both start together for once. I really don't see why it couldn't work. Play Davis at the base, Cullen and Oz central and Williams at the tip. It's not like we physically overpower teams in midfield anyway so dropping Oz back a bit shouldn't hinder us. 
    We’d probably be weaker when defending set pieces, but then it could make us more dangerous going forward and give us more possession.
    But if Bonne and Taylor are the two strikers then it’s fine
  • well at least if he stays with us Giggs knows he'll be as fit as he can be..
  • MattF said:
    Or may stay with us (provided Bowyer does) as he's probably been the best person to have managed his injury issues
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    Or may stay with us (provided Bowyer does) as he's probably been the best person to have managed his injury issues
    Possibly, depends what Giggs has said to him about the level he wants him playing at. Lockyer wanted to play championship football to break into the Wales squad, but Williams had already done that.
  • Can’t say I’m that fussed about Williams. Good character and a decent player but you can’t afford to have a luxury player like him at Charlton. No goals is a terrible return from 40 odd games. 

agreed
  • SDAddick said:
    Can’t say I’m that fussed about Williams. Good character and a decent player but you can’t afford to have a luxury player like him at Charlton. No goals is a terrible return from 40 odd games. 
    But League One is different and we'll be pressing for promotion hopefully, hopefully, rather than fighting relegation. And that's exactly where you need a player who can break down teams. And Williams, on his day, can do that and provide assists. He's exactly the type of player you need to break teams down. 

We're also desperately short of numbers and need to keep everyone we can. 
    I think Oztumer can fill that role. Would like to keep Williams but he’ll be a big chunk of our likely small budget and I think we’ll need to use that budget on other areas. 
  • se9addick said:
    SDAddick said:
    Can’t say I’m that fussed about Williams. Good character and a decent player but you can’t afford to have a luxury player like him at Charlton. No goals is a terrible return from 40 odd games. 
    But League One is different and we'll be pressing for promotion hopefully, hopefully, rather than fighting relegation. And that's exactly where you need a player who can break down teams. And Williams, on his day, can do that and provide assists. He's exactly the type of player you need to break teams down. 

We're also desperately short of numbers and need to keep everyone we can. 
    I think Oztumer can fill that role. Would like to keep Williams but he’ll be a big chunk of our likely small budget and I think we’ll need to use that budget on other areas. 
    I agree, would sooner give Oztumer and Aneke a chance. Both of those players have scored goals in the lower leagues. Could prove to be extremely useful.
  • About as worried about him going as I was Tony Watt.
  • Bit more Williams and a bit less McGeady might have been enough to swing things in our favour. But agree with others above that Oztumer should do a good job for us in League One 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2020
    I liked Jonny but at the end of the day he played 27 games last season from the article and barely played more than 60mins in any.  so in reality that is less than half the minutes we played last season he was involved with, plus even that number benefitted from the mid season break I suspect.  He is too expensive a luxury for that level of involvement.  I would be surprised if he had too many suitors but someone will pick him up in the Championship 
  • I could only see clubs like Wycombe or Luton going in for Williams in The Championship. Embarrassing if either of them are picking off our carcass but at the end of the day Williams didn't score a single goal and with money tighter than ever I wouldn't rule out Williams staying on.
  • I like Williams, but there isn't enough end product there and the reluctance by Bowyer to play him in the last 9 games was rather telling

Having said that Oztumer was even more invisible!
  • I like Williams, but there isn't enough end product there and the reluctance by Bowyer to play him in the last 9 games was rather telling

Having said that Oztumer was even more invisible!
    IF you stood them one on the shoulders of the other, they'd make one player!
  •  Can we agree to call that player Oziams rather than Willtumer?
  • bowyer dropped the midfield diamond after the restart. That made oztumer and Williams redundant. 

If bowyer sticks with the diamond next season (assuming there is a next season for bowyer and the team) then I don’t think we need Williams, oztumer and Morgan. Aneke will play further up top as we are in a more physical league.

who to keep out of Williams and oztumer? Williams is on more and is out of contract, bye Jonny! 
  • I could only see clubs like Wycombe or Luton going in for Williams in The Championship. Embarrassing if either of them are picking off our carcass but at the end of the day Williams didn't score a single goal and with money tighter than ever I wouldn't rule out Williams staying on.
    To be fair he's always been a dribbler and assister more than goal scorer. He will not score many goals at any level, he isn't clinical and doesn't often hit the ball hard.