Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• best signing so far, lad is class, seems like a top person as well
  • edited July 2019
    Just watched his interview and it’s seldom a player shows such enthusiasm for signing to a club. 

I remember watching the Sunderland documentary and really feeling for the boy as he suffered more injury set back and his palpable desire to belong. That is exactly what he has found at the valley.

Clearly Bows and team have displayed incredible emotional intelligence and have done an excellent job with Jonny. 

What was telling in his interview was when he spoke about getting Tom Lockyer to sign up. That tells me that from early on, his heart was here.

A master stroke from Bows to get him in for pre-season.

It will be pleasure to watch the boy blossom where he knows he’s valued.
  • As a person JW comes across really well and seems like a lovely bloke. I hope he can stay injury free and get his career back on track.

I'm not sure how good he is but undoubtedly he is exciting to watch.
  • BR3red said:
    Bit off topic but still on same thread...

This advert..........?????? 🤣

Must be me ......!
    Oh no mate that advert follows me around wherever I go. Really awkward when it pops up above OKCupid messages...
  • Effing brilliant . Love him 
  • An injury free preseason appears to have done him the world of good. Loads of energy today and a real threat throughout. Looks half a yard quicker to me too. Although he won’t be technically credited with one he probably deserves an assist for his part in our second goal. His best game for us so far I think. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    buckshee said:
    I’m still trying to work out why that Stoke player didn’t even see a yellow for going through the back of him. 
    It was reckless and should have been a yellow.
  • buckshee said:
    I’m still trying to work out why that Stoke player didn’t even see a yellow for going through the back of him. 
    It was reckless and should have been a yellow.
    The ref didnt even give a foul.
  • edited August 2019
    Thought he had a good game yesterday, he just gets on with it, no fuss, that challenge on him near the corner flag was disgraceful.
  • Thought he had a good game yesterday, he just gets on with it, no fuss, that challenge on him near the corner flag was disgraceful.
    I was still looking at the crossbar vibrating so I have no idea.
    It wasn't even given as a foul, as there was a throw in afterwards.

• Has anyone seen a replay of that yet? From where I was sitting it looked like Williams got to the ball first then the Stoke player flew into him way after the ball had gone. Yet the ref gave a throw?
  • Talal said:
    So that's two assists in two games now for those who liked to highlight his lack of end product last season.
    I don't really get comments like this. He didn't have much end product last season so naturally people would comment on that. Looks like he's already improved that side of his game which I'm sure everyone is delighted about. 
    I probably didn't make my point as well as I should have done. People liked to focus on the hard stats showing 0 goals and 0 assists yet had our strikers taken there chances he could have had 3 or 4 assists last season. Some argued he didn't score or assist, ran around like a headless chicken doing turning circles when on the ball.

My point is so far we're putting away the chances he's created so he's getting the credit he deserves which hopefully continues.
  • We have a Premiership player, slumming it for the feel good factor.
  • We knew Johnny was  classy, but he looks to have improved on last season going on yesterday's performance.

His play was a joy to watch.

Actually thought all four of our midfielders gave top performances.

Pratley broke up there play really well.

Gallagher after a dodgy first 10 minute's grew into the game so much looked as if he owned midfield by the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:
    Has anyone seen a replay of that yet? From where I was sitting it looked like Williams got to the ball first then the Stoke player flew into him way after the ball had gone. Yet the ref gave a throw?
    It was a hard challenge but didnt look like a foul to me, looked like the player got the ball first. Ref, and linesman in particular, both had a good view of it and didnt give anything so I'm inlcined to think it was fine.

Not seen the highlights though.
  • JaShea99 said:
    Has anyone seen a replay of that yet? From where I was sitting it looked like Williams got to the ball first then the Stoke player flew into him way after the ball had gone. Yet the ref gave a throw?
    Not seen a replay but at the time I didn’t think it was a foul, just a committed challenge. In fact, I thought the ref had a pretty good game and called the key decisions right.
  • JaShea99 said:
    It was a hard challenge but didnt look like a foul to me, looked like the player got the ball first. Ref, and linesman in particular, both had a good view of it and didnt give anything so I'm inlcined to think it was fine.

agree with this, wasn't a foul - just a strong challenge.

Williams was excellent Saturday
  • JaShea99 said:

agree with this, wasn't a foul - just a strong challenge.

Williams was excellent Saturday
    We’ve all done tackles like that. Smash the ball and take the man at the same time. It’s unusual in modern football for nothing to be given for one of those. Refs quite often give a yellow for player being out of control.
    Whether they should or not is certainly debatable. I’d argue that they should, except when it’s our player making the tackle. 
  • Nice to hear his name sung at the Valley on Saturday, i love his attacking runs, which will terrify a lot of oppo teams, and he draws a lot of fouls as well.
    In the second half Williams, Cullen and Gallagher were all over Stoke, they had the first half and we dominated the second.
    What a cracking, attacking midfield the 3 amigos have brought in this season! Well done BowGalJacko.
  • JaShea99 said:

You just see it in the skysports highlights as they show the bar being hit.  The Stoke player got the ball but took out Jonny on the way through.  For me it was a great tackle 15 years ago I would have loved to make but nowadays is outlawed and I was surprised he was not at least booked let alone no free kick. It was a similar challenge to the one Solly was sent off for v Millwall away a couple of years back where we appealed and it was over ruled.
  • Saw some comments from JW this weekend on twitter (can't find them to post on here) that he was enjoying playing so much as it's just like playing with his friends. It's a great team ethos that Bowyer has built, and I'm so glad that Jonny is part of it.
  • edited August 2019
    Croydon said:
    Saw some comments from JW this weekend on twitter (can't find them to post on here) that he was enjoying playing so much as it's just like playing with his friends. It's a great team ethos that Bowyer has built, and I'm so glad that Jonny is part of it.
    Hadn't seen that, so its good to hear, football should be enjoyable,  otherwise whats the point? if people are relaxed in their job , it will bring out the best in them.

Trying to create that environment at a professional club is really hard to do, but they are doing an amazing job at having a go at it!