Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• CAFCBell said:
    Great player, I think he will get injured though as he terrifies players when running at them or away from them so they kick him. How many times was he fouled last season? It's the same with any player that can run with the ball at championship/league 1 level. How many times did Lookman get flattened just because players didn't know what to do with him. 
    This is discussed in some depth with him in the Sunderland Netflix documentary. Which I would recommend wholeheartedly regardless

Clearly needs the arm round the shoulder treatment to get the best out of him - Coleman at Sunderland gave it to him based on his time with Wales, and he’s clearly seen LB and JJ do similar last season.
  • Great news! 
  • Very happy about this. Does it mean we can pretty much forget about Oztumer now?
  • Very happy about this. Does it mean we can pretty much forget about Oztumer now?
    I hope not Williams is a CM, I thought Oztimer is a CAM?
  • edited July 2019
    Credit all goes to my mate who tipped me off...first bit of reliable gossip for a while 
    Well he was spot on, so I assume we can take it that your mate is NOT Daniel Sturridge!!!   😉

Saw the news yesterday on way home from a meeting and just absolutely made me grin from ear to ear.  Jonny plays with an infectious smile on his face, gelled straight away with this brilliant group of players and coaches and seems like he just loves being around the place.  He’ll be a huge influence on and off the pitch this season.  Delighted he’s back!!  
  • I guess it had got to a stage where he needed to decide what to do.One thing to be fit but another to be match fit.So now he will get game time as well.Says a great deal though about the guy to take such a pay cut.Says just as much about the spirit within the club created by LB JJ and Gallen.Has to be a Win Win scenario for all parties and is Great news for us fans.Many thanks Jonny.Stay fit and have a great season.COYR
  • edited July 2019
    What does the option mean? We have an option to impose an extra year if it’s been going well, even if he decides to leave? Or he has the option of extending another year?
    Would we want both in the same team? Would give us a very lightweight midfield, especially if we play 3 in the middle rather than the 4 the diamond gives you.
  • Scoham said:
    Very happy about this. Does it mean we can pretty much forget about Oztumer now?
    Would we want both in the same team? Would give us a very lightweight midfield, especially if we play 3 in the middle rather than the 4 the diamond gives you.
    In a 4 it's possible, in a 3, absolutely not!
  • My nephew is a groundsman at Palace and has become friends with Jonny. He says he is a top guy who just wants to play football, really enjoyed his time at Charlton and working with LB and JJ.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Valley11 said:
    barstool said:
    Just the best news, joins some other great Jonny’s at CAFC
    Fortune, Jackson, Humphrey, Shelvey, Johansson 
    You’ve missed a pretty significant one off there who plays the same as Williams 
    How can you forget the late great Johnny Summers and 'I'm too young' is not an excuse! 😉 Welcome back JW 👏.
    I liked Oztumer at Walsall and as a squad player maybe.Lets also remember he only played 8 games in a very bad Bolton side so has not played regularly at this level

I would always have preferred Jonny if it was a choice but Bowyer wanted to bring him in at the window despite having Williams already. If he did come then I can't see us taking Harriott. 
  • welcome back Jonny B Goode .. 
  • Excellent news,once again it just shows that you dont have to shell out millions to get class players.I look at what other championship clubs are spending on players,how many will be as good as Johnny,keep going Lee do it your way.
  • As mentioned above, Williams earns loads of free kicks, which last season led to a surprising amount of goals. A lot of those were down to excellent delivery from Cullen. Here's hoping he'll be back but it'll be interesting to see who's on most of the set pieces if not.
  • edited July 2019
    "iechyd da",  to the lad born in the garden of England and not the land of his Fathers.

Good health and good luck in the rest of his Cafc career.

Jonny Williams is now one of us, not one of them. (Surrey club) 
    Fill your boots.
  • Sponsored links:

• Such good news!

Oh Jonny Jonny,
    Jonny Jonny Williams
  • Great news - Palace fan I was talking to last night says that the general consensus is that he is one that has got away...   
  • edited July 2019
    More positive news. 

Loving these new owners. 
    You are too easily pleased grumpy,
    Until we sign Gareth Bale on loan to make a trio of Welsh players I will reserve judgement on these new owners.

Ps. No, I don't want Simon Church to come out of retirement.
  • Excellent news.  Even if his fragility only allows him 20 odd appearances, Charlton's squad is the richer.
    Another arrival not requiring a fee, the helmet will be almost tumescent with delight, 2% of the time obv...
  • edited July 2019
    My nephew is a groundsman at Palace and has become friends with Jonny. He says he is a top guy who just wants to play football...
    He came off exactly like that in the show “Sunderland Til I Die” as well.
  • If you can all pull in the same direction you can achieve more than a team if individuals.
  • My nephew is a groundsman at Palace and has become friends with Jonny. He says he is a top guy who just wants to play football...
    He came off exactly like that in the show “Sunderland Til I Die” as well.
    Yep, it’s rare for a footballer these days to come off down-to-earth and someone you’d want to be friends with. Plus he’s bloody good on the ball. Delighted with this.